Thinkpad and external WiFi card

miskiewicz2@yahoo.com

Hi!

Bought a NetGear AP with AutoCell + the Netgear WAG511 card. I've put
in into my R51p. The internal card worked well with the new AP, but I
wanted a card that supports AutoCell, so I went for the WAG511. As soon
as I enable it I get no IP. Is this a problem with Access Connections?
Or what might be the problem?

Thanks

Tom

GomJabbar

If you haven't already, you need to set up a new profile in Access
Connections, and make sure you choose your new WAG511 card in the
profile.

noname

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Bought a NetGear AP with AutoCell + the Netgear WAG511 card. I've put
> in into my R51p. The internal card worked well with the new AP, but I
> wanted a card that supports AutoCell, so I went for the WAG511. As soon
> as I enable it I get no IP. Is this a problem with Access Connections?
> Or what might be the problem?

Be sure you run the latest version of Access Connections. I found out
old version sometimes have problems changing ip addresses.

Even if you run the latest version, it is very possible you can't use
both AutoCell software and Access Connection at the same time for the
card. That can be like driving a car with two drivers.
Can you use the card without the Autocell software by use of Access
Connections?

S.

Larry

> Even if you run the latest version, it is very possible you can't use
> both AutoCell software and Access Connection at the same time for the
> card. That can be like driving a car with two drivers.

Agreed. You run into similar difficulties using 3rd party
configuration utilities (e.g. NETGEAR WAG511 Smart Wizard Wireless
Utility) at the same time as the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration
(WZC) utility. Both utilities will try to apply their client profile
through the NDIS driver, and the results are unpredictable.

> Can you use the card without the Autocell software by use of Access
> Connections?

If Access Connections can support *any* NDIS 5/5.1-compliant driver,
then this should work. You would need to stop the NETGEAR WAG511 Smart
Wizard wireless utility from controlling the driver, either at system
boot time or during run-time.

- Larry