Thinkpad R51 Fan noise

Andrey

I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle. Is
this normal or there is any solution to control and monitor related
parameters?

Jon Solberg

Andrey said the following on 2005-08-10 16:13:
> I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
> found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
> it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
> processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
> runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle.

I don't know about the R51, but I experienced the whole range of the
earlier RX series much noisier than the TX dittos. It got very quiet on
my desktop when I changed from a R30 to my present T23. Does the later
R-series have speed step enabled CPUs? I know that my R30 didn't and
that it's Celeron processor had a tendency to run very hot (hence: much
noise).

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).

JHEM

Andrey wrote:
> I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
> found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
> it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
> processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
> runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle. Is
> this normal or there is any solution to control and monitor related
> parameters?

Go into the power options for your system and set the CPU speed to
"Adaptive" under both battery and AC.

It appears that your Speedstep enabled CPU is not throttling down and is
running at full speed constantly, hence the fan will run at full speed as
well.

I can't hear the fan at all on my T41p when I'm just surfing or emailing.

Regards,

James

Woody

I agree. I haven't heard the fan yet on my new R51. You may also want to
download and update the drivers. I have had the R51 for a week and it found
about 15 down-level drivers. I used software installer to update them....

"JHEM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Andrey wrote:
>> I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
>> found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
>> it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
>> processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
>> runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle. Is
>> this normal or there is any solution to control and monitor related
>> parameters?

> Go into the power options for your system and set the CPU speed to
> "Adaptive" under both battery and AC.
>
> It appears that your Speedstep enabled CPU is not throttling down and is
> running at full speed constantly, hence the fan will run at full speed as
> well.
>
> I can't hear the fan at all on my T41p when I'm just surfing or emailing.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

John Doue

Woody wrote:
> I agree. I haven't heard the fan yet on my new R51. You may also want to
> download and update the drivers. I have had the R51 for a week and it found
> about 15 down-level drivers. I used software installer to update them....
>

> "JHEM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Andrey wrote:
>>
>>>I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
>>>found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
>>>it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
>>>processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
>>>runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle. Is
>>>this normal or there is any solution to control and monitor related
>>>parameters?

>>Go into the power options for your system and set the CPU speed to
>>"Adaptive" under both battery and AC.
>>
>>It appears that your Speedstep enabled CPU is not throttling down and is
>>running at full speed constantly, hence the fan will run at full speed as
>>well.
>>
>>I can't hear the fan at all on my T41p when I'm just surfing or emailing.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>James

It is fairly silent when running at its lowest speed and you won't hear
it unless you live in a very quiet environment. You will definitely hear
it when you will be running demanding applications and when the laptop
is in a fairly hot environment (living in Florida ...). I must say I
have never been bothered by its noise although ideally, a total absence
of fan noise would be high on my wish list for laptops.

The advice to check your power profile is to the point and will make a
big difference.

--
John Doue

Andrey

What temperature range is supposed to be normal and critical for the
CPU in this case? If the CPU is speed step, how many speps it has and
what permissible temperature is for each stpep? Thanks in advance.

lophiomys@gmx.at

>From my experience the original fan in the R51 is emitting quite some
high frequencies and does not cool the GPU, as other and bigger fan
models
in more expensive T4x models.

To reduce fan noise you could try following things
- set the power management to lowest values for cpu
- downclock the GPU (omega drivers, ati tool)
- fit the fan from the T41P "Long Fan M10" (!! voids the garanties)
see
http://lophiomys.gmxhome.de/Thinkpad...Fan_Noise.html
http://lophiomys.gmxhome.de/R51_with...ongFanM10.html

there where also others posting similar things in other Thinkpad
related forums,
e.g. google for "spirifier".

hope this helps

IBM Thinkpad R51 Cooling fan salah90@yahoo.de Laptops 0 12-27-2004 10:21 AM
Thinkpad R51 Comments Zzyzx Laptops 10 11-13-2004 10:55 PM
Advice on IBM ThinkPad R51 and buying direct Schizoid Man Laptops 4 11-06-2004 09:45 PM
Memory installation on ThinkPad R51 - hard to do? Sara Laptops 23 08-11-2004 01:12 PM
Thinkpad R51 or T41 Michael Ransburg Laptops 7 04-20-2004 07:56 AM