ThinkPad R61 & T61 differences

R. P.

I've been looking at Lenovo's Web page to see what it would cost to get
identically configured 14.1" R61 and T61 notebooks and except for some
..1" thickness and .2 lbs weight advantage, I could not figure out what
else there was in T61 that justified the approx. 30% higher price. I
pretty much checked the datasheet for both models and could not find
there anything I could sink my teeth into beyond the marketing hype. Can
anybody else enlighten me on this issue?

Thanks,
Rudy

gary_hendricks_mail@yahoo.com

Hi R.P,

The T61 is considered a 'business class' notebook. So I think you are
paying for stuff like hard disk resilience, shork absorber capability
surrounding the hard disk, etc. And usually they sell T61s to the
corporate crowd, so that could be another reason.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.best-laptop-guide.com

R. P.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The T61 is considered a 'business class' notebook. So I think you are
> paying for stuff like hard disk resilience, shork absorber capability
> surrounding the hard disk, etc. And usually they sell T61s to the
> corporate crowd, so that could be another reason.

Well, according to the data sheets, both models come with shock
proofing:
This is what is written about the R61:
"shock-mounted hard drive, magnesium-alloy roll cage, new top-cover roll
cage"
and this about T61:
"new top-cover roll cage, shock-mounted hard drive" -- no word about
magnesium alloy.
So I don't really see any major advantage here for T61 at all. I figure
it must be something else, maybe just marketing hype to the "suits"?

Rudy

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:21:30 -0800, "R. P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The T61 is considered a 'business class' notebook. So I think you are
>> paying for stuff like hard disk resilience, shork absorber capability
>> surrounding the hard disk, etc. And usually they sell T61s to the
>> corporate crowd, so that could be another reason.

>Well, according to the data sheets, both models come with shock
>proofing:
>This is what is written about the R61:
>"shock-mounted hard drive, magnesium-alloy roll cage, new top-cover roll
>cage"
>and this about T61:
>"new top-cover roll cage, shock-mounted hard drive" -- no word about
>magnesium alloy.
>So I don't really see any major advantage here for T61 at all. I figure
>it must be something else, maybe just marketing hype to the "suits"?
>
>Rudy

Rudy,

I don't know about now, but back when IBM was still selling the R's
and T's, one difference was the length of the warranty, 3 years for
the T models, and one year for the R models.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir