Thinkpad T41 keypad

Cam

Hello,
Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
this keypad? I seem to have looked everywhere and just can't find it!
I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
portable that I bought.

Thanks in advance!
Cam

Arthur Shapiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
>this keypad?...
>I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
>portable that I bought.

Can you clarify your request a little, please: are you, perhaps, referring to
the Fn-<key> combinations, such as Fn-PGUP for the Thinklight?

Art

Ernie B.

http://tinyurl.com/6njo7j
--
Ernie B.

Communication: The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
without distortion.

Todd H.

Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hello,
> Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
> this keypad? I seem to have looked everywhere and just can't find it!
> I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
> portable that I bought.

Not sure what you're asking.

If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
one.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Cam

On Jul 7, 4:59 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:
> Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Hello,
> > Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
> > this keypad? I seem to have looked everywhere and just can't find it!
> > I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
> > portable that I bought.

> Not sure what you're asking.
>
> If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
> key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
> iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
> gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
> puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
> switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
> mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
> adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
> one.
>
> --
> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

Hi again,
Actually what I would like is the function of keys other than the
usual numeral and alpha keys. I know about the Fn key but I would like
to know about the other keys. For instance, what do you do to get the
Ctl key, the Alt key etc. Surely there must be a document explaning
the key function for this Thinkpad.
Sorry if I was not too clear in my first message...
Thanks!
Cam

Todd H.

Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Jul 7, 4:59 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:
>> Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > Hello,
>> > Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
>> > this keypad? I seem to have looked everywhere and just can't find it!
>> > I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
>> > portable that I bought.

>> Not sure what you're asking.
>>
>> If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
>> key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
>> iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
>> gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
>> puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
>> switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
>> mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
>> adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
>> one.
>>
>> --
>> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

> Hi again,
> Actually what I would like is the function of keys other than the
> usual numeral and alpha keys. I know about the Fn key but I would like
> to know about the other keys. For instance, what do you do to get the
> Ctl key, the Alt key etc. Surely there must be a document explaning
> the key function for this Thinkpad.
> Sorry if I was not too clear in my first message...
> Thanks!
> Cam

I'm afraid that has done little to clear it up. Are you very new to
computers perchance?

Ctrl and Alt are keys used in combination with other keys to perform
functions that are specific to given applications. Some
generalizations can be made if you're running windows though. For
instance, Alt-F will open the file pull down menu in nearly all
Windows programs. Alt-e will open the Edit menu.

Ctrl- key combinations also vary. A couple common ones some people
will know are Ctrl-c Ctrl-v for copy and paste respectively. Or
Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert for copy/paste. But these can also be
done with the mouse so many people don't know them. Their function,
regardless is dependent on the operating system (Windows generally)
rather than the computer itself.

Apologies if this info is too basic and I've totally missed a deeper
question.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Cam

On Jul 8, 1:59 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:
> Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> Not sure what you're asking.

> >> If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
> >> key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
> >> iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
> >> gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
> >> puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
> >> switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
> >> mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
> >> adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
> >> one.

> >> --
> >> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

> > Hi again,
> > Actually what I would like is the function of keys other than the
> > usual numeral and alpha keys. I know about the Fn key but I would like
> > to know about the other keys. For instance, what do you do to get the
> > Ctl key, the Alt key etc. Surely there must be a document explaning
> > the key function for this Thinkpad.
> > Sorry if I was not too clear in my first message...
> > Thanks!
> > Cam

> I'm afraid that has done little to clear it up. Are you very new to
> computers perchance?
>
> Ctrl and Alt are keys used in combination with other keys to perform
> functions that are specific to given applications. Some
> generalizations can be made if you're running windows though. For
> instance, Alt-F will open the file pull down menu in nearly all
> Windows programs. Alt-e will open the Edit menu.
>
> Ctrl- key combinations also vary. A couple common ones some people
> will know are Ctrl-c Ctrl-v for copy and paste respectively. Or
> Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert for copy/paste. But these can also be
> done with the mouse so many people don't know them. Their function,
> regardless is dependent on the operating system (Windows generally)
> rather than the computer itself.
>
> Apologies if this info is too basic and I've totally missed a deeper
> question.
>
> --
> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
not there. I wanted to know what key replaces the Ctl key for
instance. If I had a description of every key on this T41 keypad, then
would know what each key is used for.
Thanks!
Cam

Arthur Shapiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
>not there

This is getting very interesting. You're using the term "keypad"...is this
some sort of external USB-connected gismo (such as a 12 key numeric keypad) as
opposed to the regular good-old plain vanilla *keyboard* on the laptop?

Certainly the regular keyboard that is exposed when one opens the laptop for
use has a Ctrl key and an Alt key and a Fn key. So I think we're just having
a bit of a terminology question here...can you give a little more verbiage for
us to better define the circumstances of your question?

Art

Todd H.

Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
> not there. I wanted to know what key replaces the Ctl key for
> instance. If I had a description of every key on this T41 keypad, then
> would know what each key is used for.
> Thanks!
> Cam

You're gonna need to post a link to a photo of what you're talking
about. Snap a digital pic of your keyboard and upload it to
photobucket.com or something.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Cam

On Jul 9, 11:26 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:
> Cam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
> > not there. I wanted to know what key replaces the Ctl key for
> > instance. If I had a description of every key on this T41 keypad, then
> > would know what each key is used for.
> > Thanks!
> > Cam

> You're gonna need to post a link to a photo of what you're talking
> about. Snap a digital pic of your keyboard and upload it to
> photobucket.com or something.
>
> --
> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

You are right. I should have used the word keyboard, but in the T41
manual which I have downloaded they are talking about the keypad I am
pretty sure. Anyway, I was just talking about the usual keyboard when
you open the laptop. I've looked in the T41 manual that I have
downloaded and don't see any key description for the special keys.
There are just about 8 or 9 keys that I would like to know what they
are used for. I thought that there was a document out there somewhere
in the WWW that explaned the use of these special keys on the T41
keyboard.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Cam