ThinkVantage System Update: R.I.P.

~misfit~

Man, I really liked System Update, it added real value to the ThinkPad
range, to be able to update drivers and firmware with a few clicks of the
mouse buttons. There has been speculation about the "Try again in May"
message (which is still coming up in 27th May) so I followed a few links and
found this:

"Lenovo is changing the way customers obtain updates for their PCs and
Servers.
For our PC customers, automatic updates via ThinkVantage System Update
(TVSU) are being discontinued. Customers can continue to download updates by
accessing the Lenovo support site at Lenovo Support & downloads. Lenovo is
pursuing alternative solutions for system updates and future offerings will
be communicated through the new Lenovo Message Center Plus."

From http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-72207.html

I'm going to miss System Update. I remember when my mate (an IT
professional), after hearing that I was looking for a second-hand laptop to
reduce my home's power consumption, carbon footprint and desktop footprint,
suggested I look at ThinkPads. At first I was reluctant, considering the
price premium you pay for a ThinkPad. However, one of the things that he
told me about, that partly sold me on ThinkPads, was System Update. He
explained to me how driver/firmware updates were all automated through the
use of ThinkVantage System Update and I've been extremely impressed with it
ever since.

So much so that I now own three ThinkPads and am currently considering
upgrading my main machine, an R51 1400x1050 ['Flexview' / Dothan / 2GiB RAM]
to a T43 1400x1050. The t43 has a faster FSB, slighly better graphics (my
R51 is ATI 9000 and the T43 I'm looking at is ATI X300. I'm into a bit of
light gaming, mainly older titles, LOL, obviously I guess) and Expresscard.

I guess that this is part of the collateral damage with IBM selling the
ThinkPad brand to Lenovo. It seems that the legandary ThinkPads, and the
support for them, is now definitely a thing of the past. With this one move,
IMO, Lenovo have finalised the death of the greatest and most successful
laptop ever made.

The laptops may live on (likely for years) but the IBM legacy of five-star
lifetime support is no more. I will continue to use ThinkPads for as long as
is feasible. (I'm on a very limited budget and also not keen on widescreen
laptops). Perforce my purchases are second-hand, and at least three years
old.

Anyone know what the last, most powerful ThinkPad (preferably 15") was that
has a non-reflective 4:3 aspect ratio screen? AFAIK it's a T60 (T61 anly had
4:3 in 14", please correct me if I'm wrong) or an R60 15" 1400x1050)
Whatever it is, ultimately it'll be my last ThinkPad. Maybe I'll be able to
afford one in a couple years.

With 20% of the new laptop buyers scrambling to buy 'netbooks' I'm amazed
why they don't just buy second-hand ThinkPads. My 1.7GHz (Dothan) CPU R51 is
150% as powerful as a 1.6GHz Atom netbook and has an optical drive, a
brilliant display and the power consumption isn't OTT in comparison.
Especially when you consider that my display is all that you could desire,
which can't be said for any netbook that I've seen.

Ho-hum. Best wishes to my fellow ThinkPad users. (Maybe I should leave the
whisky alone now?)
--
Shaun.

John Navas

[Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
On Wed, 27 May 2009 20:05:43 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <gvis8r$4gd$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:

>Man, I really liked System Update, it added real value to the ThinkPad
>range, to be able to update drivers and firmware with a few clicks of the
>mouse buttons. There has been speculation about the "Try again in May"
>message (which is still coming up in 27th May) [SNIP]

System Update is back up.

--
Best regards, You are cordially invited to participate in the
John official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

John Navas

The Subject says it all.

--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Wed, 27 May 2009 20:05:43 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <gvis8r$4gd$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:
>
>> Man, I really liked System Update, it added real value to the
>> ThinkPad range, to be able to update drivers and firmware with a few
>> clicks of the mouse buttons. There has been speculation about the
>> "Try again in May" message (which is still coming up in 27th May)
>> [SNIP]

> System Update is back up.

Yep. Woot! I just upgraded the embedded firmware in this R51 using it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.