Third party batteries

Moritz Reiter

Hi group,

I'm planning to buy a new and bigger battery for my Thinkpad X60s. Do
you generally recommend to buy only original Lenovo batteries or can
third party products be just as good?
Are there other things I should consider buying then the maximum
electric charge (e.g. 5200 mAh), the warranty and that the battery is
unused?

Thanks for any hints!
--
Moritz Reiter

Andy Cuffe

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:36:07 +0100, Moritz Reiter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi group,
>
>I'm planning to buy a new and bigger battery for my Thinkpad X60s. Do
>you generally recommend to buy only original Lenovo batteries or can
>third party products be just as good?
>Are there other things I should consider buying then the maximum
>electric charge (e.g. 5200 mAh), the warranty and that the battery is
>unused?
>
>Thanks for any hints!

It's hit or miss. I bought a generic battery for my A22, and it was
still working very well after several years of constant use with no
special care. I'd say it aged better than most of the original IBM
A2X batteries I've seen.

On the other hand, I've seen generic batteries that wouldn't charge
fully after only a few cycles.
Andy Cuffe

(E-Mail Removed)

John Doue

Synapse Syndrome wrote:

>>> It's hit or miss. I bought a generic battery for my A22, and it was
>>> still working very well after several years of constant use with no
>>> special care. I'd say it aged better than most of the original IBM
>>> A2X batteries I've seen.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I've seen generic batteries that wouldn't charge
>>> fully after only a few cycles.
>>> Andy Cuffe

>> Your best bet with generics in my experience is to choose your seller
>> with care -- I've bought generics from sellers on eBay with top feedback
>> scores that performed as well or better than OEM batteries.

> Were the eBay sellers for these good batteries in Hong Kong/China? Have you
> got any recommended sellers? Cheers.
>
> ss.

Capacity is just one side of the coin. Here are a few thoughts after I
bought over time 3 batteries (1 standard size, 1 higher capacity from
one vendor, 1 standard from another vendor) for my R51.

1/ fit and finish. None of the 3 batteries I bought fit as nicely as the
original. To a variable degree, some force needs to be exerted to insert
them, which means removing them also requires some force and may be a
soft tools to help.

2/ capacity. All three of them meet expectations

3/ Compatibility. 2 out of 3 (granted, from the same origin), cause the
charge indicator to turn to blinking orange after reaching full charge
and remaining under power adaptor active for some time. No adverse
consequence that I could detect. So, probably means the software
limiting the charge between user adjustable values, a great feature of
power management on TP, most probably does not work as it should.

But, again, no adverse consequences that I could detect, other than a
blinking orange charge led. Rebooting clears it ... until it reappears
after some time at full charge.

At the end of the day, one vendor out of two sold me a fully fonctional
battery, keeping in mind fit and finish was in both cases significantly
under par, but without adverse consequences.

Would take some time to research who was who, but would do it if
someone's interested.

John Doue

Third-party Batteries for MacBooks isw Apple 43 04-09-2012 05:24 PM
Offers of laptop batteries, camcorder batteries, camera batteries,charger, ac/dc adapter jasonliufu@gmail.com HP 0 06-30-2008 03:54 AM
Third party batteries for laptops? MrB Laptops 3 05-26-2007 02:32 AM
Source for third party floppy DH Dell 11 10-24-2003 09:56 PM
third-party drivers or ATi's? Simon-Pierre ATI 5 10-13-2003 08:19 PM