10 Killers to Personal Development

Discussion in 'ECS' started by happyone, Dec 10, 2007.

  1. happyone

    happyone Guest

    This article is found at http://www.yourrichlifeinc.com

    10 Killers To Personal Development

    Many people want to change their lives for the better. It seems that the
    majority of individuals are unhappy with some aspect of how they are
    living. Perhaps they would like to lose some weight. Some want to
    improve their relationships. And others want a successful career path.
    Regardless of what someone wants to change, there is a model available to
    follow. Unfortunately for some, to be effective one needs avoid certain
    pitfalls that befall so many. Avoid these to increase the chances that
    you will be able to make the changes necessary in your life.

    Here are the 10 most common killers to personal development.

    1.Being a ‘know-it-all’: It is always interesting to see someone who
    wants to make a change because the results that they are presently
    receiving are causing them pain. They are not successful doing what they
    are doing. However, when suggestions are offered they immediately
    discount them. They say something like “I already know that†or “I agree
    with you but ….†They simply are cannot be taught anything. The mind is
    closed off from any new information. This type of person knows it all.

    2.Switching Programs: There are many wonderful teachers and coaches out
    there. They often have a curriculum of success that they teach. There is
    a linear path they take people down on the road to achieving the results
    that are desired. However, switching from teacher-to-teacher usually only
    leads to confusion while reducing the results attained. For example,
    there are programs that show people how to pick winning stocks using
    fundamental analysis. There are also ones that teach about technical
    analysis. For either will yield tremendous benefits (assuming the program
    is a good one). However, if one tries to switch back and forth, the
    stocks they pick will likely fail to deliver the results desired. Choose
    one curriculum that suits you and stick with it.

    3.Failing to believe this stuff works: The self improvement industry often
    gets a bad rap from people. Sure there are individuals who are promoting
    things that do not work. Unethical people exist in every spectrum.
    However, the bottom line is that millions of people have changed their
    lives completely by implementing the teaching of personal development
    experts. However, if you believe that none of it works, that is a
    guarantee that it will not.

    4.Lacking the commitment to change: Many have the desire to change
    certain aspects of their lives. Yet most do not have the overwhelming
    commitment to do anything about it. It is like the alcoholic who knows
    that he has a problem yet continues drinking anyway. He might want to
    stop but his actions tell another story. If you hope, wish, want, pray,
    or think you want to change something, the odds are that everything will
    remain the same. When you are committed to changing something, the
    chances increase substantially that you will make it happen.

    5.Lacking consistency: Habits are like muscles. They get more powerful
    the more we work them out. To develop good habits, it is imperative that
    we attend to them on a regular basis. Attempting to follow a self help
    program for a few days then setting it aside for 3 months will do little
    to change anything. Personal growth is a full-time practice. Developing
    the qualities that we desire and make us successful are gained through
    repetition. Over time, we get better at anything we put consistent effort
    in to. Treat you personal development the same way that a top athlete
    treats his or her exercise program.

    Part 2 of this article can be found at http://www.yourrichlifeinc.com
    under the 'Free Downloads' tab.
    happyone, Dec 10, 2007