    FSB vs. 1066?

    --
    Scotter
    Scotter, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Scotter

    Peter B. P. Guest

    Scotter <> wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
    > Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting 1333
    > FSB vs. 1066?

    1333/1066 = 1.25

    ergo, a theoretical maximum performance boost of 25% for workloads with
    large data sets and I/O heavy work.

    --
    regards , Peter B. P. - http://titancity.com/blog , http://macplanet.dk

    If guns kill, do pencils cause spelling errors?
    Peter B. P., Mar 6, 2007

  3. Scotter

    Scotter Guest

    Thanks! So are you saying the QX6700 combined with DDR2-800 RAM will easily
    take advantage of an FSB of 1333?
    --
    Scotter
    -

    Scotter, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Scotter

    Peter B. P. Guest

    Scotter <> wrote:

    > Thanks! So are you saying the QX6700 combined with DDR2-800 RAM will easily
    > take advantage of an FSB of 1333?
    > --
    > Scotter

    No, I'm not. There will be *some* performance advantage, but probably
    not much, especially if your CPU's cache is large (4 MB or better).

    Peter B. P., Mar 7, 2007
  5. On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:46:20 -0600, Scotter wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
    > Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting
    > 1333 FSB vs. 1066?

    The FSB of the QX6700 is 1066 so 1333 on the bridge chips isn't going to
    help you. I also doubt that you will be able to overclock the FSB on the
    QX. The QX parts are two Dual Core chips bolted together in a single
    package. Both chips are sharing the same FSB so the load is twice the
    normal load which isn't going to give you a lot of headroom. The QX parts
    also produce twice the heat as a Dual Core so it will probably be
    difficult to do any overclocking. If you intend to try and do it you'll
    probably want to get a monster cooler like a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or a
    Zalman 9700.
    General Schvantzkoph, Mar 7, 2007
  6. Scotter wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
    > Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting 1333
    > FSB vs. 1066?

    Many ASUS boards allow you to o/c the memory leaving the CPU at standard
    speed. If you get a board with this feature you will see some
    improvement on problems with very large data sets.

    It should help more with quad, bandwidth to memory will be more
    critical. But don't expect a big leap, I will guess 5-10% on just the
    right data.

    --
    Bill Davidsen
    He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting
    Bill Davidsen, Mar 8, 2007
  7. Scotter

    chrisv Guest

    Scotter wrote:

    >Hi -
    >
    >I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
    >Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting 1333
    >FSB vs. 1066?

    Well, obviously faster is better, if it works.

    Be careful, though, with your memory timings. On my Intel D975XBX, I
    set my memory to 667 (no overclocking at all, and that's the way I
    wanted it), but that "667" setting did not set the memory to 667. It
    really set the memory clock to 5/4 the FSB clock, which, on a
    non-overclocked machine would have been 266 * 5/4 = 333 DDR (or "667",
    if you prefer).

    So, when I overclocked the FSB to 333 QDR (or "1333 FSB"), the memory
    came-along for the ride and was running 416 DDR (or "832").

    The only way I noticed this was the report given by CPU-Z. To stop
    overclocking my memory, I had to back into the BIOS to reduce the
    memory:FSB ratio to 1:1 (it said 533, so it would really run at 667
    with the overclocking).
    chrisv, Mar 13, 2007