    Peter Eriksson <> Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

    Peter Eriksson, Oct 30, 2008

  2. Peter Eriksson <> wrote:
    > I've so far found only one suitable 10G CX4 adapter
    > for use with the Sun Fire X4500, the:
    >
    > Neterion Xframe II Sun Fire CX4 PCI-X
    >
    > Are there other alternatives that I've missed?
    >
    > (I want the CX4 interface, not fiber. Solaris driver
    > support required)
    >
    > - Peter

    I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

    http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Adapters/PRO-10GbE-CX4/PRO-10GbE-CX4-overview.htm

    The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
    based off a similar chipset:

    http://www.sun.com/products/networking/ethernet/10gigethernetintel/support.xml

    Intel had/has a good developer/evaluation program that might be worth
    checking out if you want to try out a costly card, and just send it back
    if it doesn't cut it for you.

    Cydrome Leader, Oct 30, 2008

  3. Cydrome Leader <> writes:

    >I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

    >http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Adapters/PRO-10GbE-CX4/PRO-10GbE-CX4-overview.htm

    >The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
    >based off a similar chipset:

    I've seen that one (and almost bought one), but as far as I can tell
    it isn't a low-profile variant, and thus won't fit in the X4500...

    - Peter

    Peter Eriksson, Oct 31, 2008
  4. Peter Eriksson <> wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader <> writes:
    >
    >>I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

    >>http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Adapters/PRO-10GbE-CX4/PRO-10GbE-CX4-overview.htm

    >>The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
    >>based off a similar chipset:

    > I've seen that one (and almost bought one), but as far as I can tell
    > it isn't a low-profile variant, and thus won't fit in the X4500...
    >
    > - Peter

    Good point- that's card is a monster in size.

    It's really too bad nobody has tiny xenpak modules that take copper. I've
    read about super short distance 10GBe over cat6+, but never seen the
    modules, if they exist.

    The full sized xenpak transcievers, copper or fiber are huge monsters.
    That CX4 cable is like working with a serial cable from IBM from the
    1980s.

    Cydrome Leader, Oct 31, 2008
  5. Rick Jones <> wrote:
    > In no particular order and with no idea of whether they have Solaris
    > drivers or CX4 cards which are low-profile, here are a few of the
    > company names I've come across (in alphabetical order, nothing more):
    >
    > *) ChelsIO
    > *) Myricom

    http://www.myri.com/Myri-10G/NIC/10G-PCIE-8A-C.html

    I didn't know they made ethernet stuff- though it was all that infiniband
    clusting stuff.

    Cydrome Leader, Oct 31, 2008
  6. Cydrome Leader <> writes:

    >Rick Jones <> wrote:
    >> In no particular order and with no idea of whether they have Solaris
    >> drivers or CX4 cards which are low-profile, here are a few of the
    >> company names I've come across (in alphabetical order, nothing more):
    >>
    >> *) ChelsIO
    >> *) Myricom

    >http://www.myri.com/Myri-10G/NIC/10G-PCIE-8A-C.html

    Wrong bus though (needs to be PCI-X, not PCI-e :)...

    Only Neterion seems to make a suitable adapter of the makers in that list.

    Ah well..

    - Peter

    Peter Eriksson, Nov 3, 2008