110V and 220V on laptops question

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by alfonso gayoso, May 24, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    my mother plans to buy a laptop (new one most likely), but she is
    somewhat concerned because she will be travelling between two
    countries where one uses 110 volts and the other uses 220 volts.

    I hope I am right but I told her that it boils down to the power
    supply.

    She is eyeing HP laptops due the support in those 2 countries. Do
    these laptop power supplies have a 110/220 selector or does she have
    to buy a power supply for each country? is there an aftermarket power
    supply where you can select the input voltage? I also thought in using
    a 110 power supply (like the ones in USA) along a travel converter,
    those tranformer that convert 220 into 110 volts so you can use
    american devices, but i am not too sure as the current requirements of
    laptops can be sometimes be high.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    al

    1. Advertising

  2. zztop8970

    zztop8970 Guest

    "alfonso gayoso" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > my mother plans to buy a laptop (new one most likely), but she is
    > somewhat concerned because she will be travelling between two
    > countries where one uses 110 volts and the other uses 220 volts.
    >
    > I hope I am right but I told her that it boils down to the power
    > supply.
    >
    > She is eyeing HP laptops due the support in those 2 countries. Do
    > these laptop power supplies have a 110/220 selector or does she have
    > to buy a power supply for each country?

    All modern laptops that I know work on either 110 or 220, with the same
    power supply. You might need to buy a set of adapter plugs since the wall
    sockets are different , but the power supply that comes with the laptop will
    work inall countries.

    > is there an aftermarket power
    > supply where you can select the input voltage? I also thought in using
    > a 110 power supply (like the ones in USA) along a travel converter,
    > those tranformer that convert 220 into 110 volts so you can use
    > american devices, but i am not too sure as the current requirements of
    > laptops can be sometimes be high.
    >
    > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    > al

    1. Advertising

  3. Tony Hwang

    Tony Hwang Guest

    alfonso gayoso wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > my mother plans to buy a laptop (new one most likely), but she is
    > somewhat concerned because she will be travelling between two
    > countries where one uses 110 volts and the other uses 220 volts.
    >
    > I hope I am right but I told her that it boils down to the power
    > supply.
    >
    > She is eyeing HP laptops due the support in those 2 countries. Do
    > these laptop power supplies have a 110/220 selector or does she have
    > to buy a power supply for each country? is there an aftermarket power
    > supply where you can select the input voltage? I also thought in using
    > a 110 power supply (like the ones in USA) along a travel converter,
    > those tranformer that convert 220 into 110 volts so you can use
    > american devices, but i am not too sure as the current requirements of
    > laptops can be sometimes be high.
    >
    > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    > al

    Hi,
    Most AC adaptor is unversal voltage which covers 110 - 220V.
    No selector, just wide range input voltage.
    Tony

  4. This is a serious question and it wants a serious response. *Before*
    travelling.

    Mine is, the little box in the line cord converts line power to what
    the laptop machine needs to run. *On this box* you will see some
    specifications describing what input voltages it can accept. Do not
    listen to philosophizing about what it is or ought to be: *read the
    specs*.

    Which usually will say the input voltage may be anything in a range of
    (from one of my laptops) 100 to 240 volts, 50 to 60 Hz. In a quick
    check, two other laptops power supplies take same input range. *Do
    Not* conclude seeing same numbers on three tells you what they all
    are!

    But it indicates a range. Now look at your specific model and see
    what it says there.

    To find what's available in the country to be visited, try phoning
    their embassy nearby; or post the question here; or if you're using a
    travel agent then ask the agent.

    In any event, you'll probably need an adaptor to connect the
    (American) standard plug into the other-country outlet. An adaptor
    with a fuse in it is always good luck. You can find an adaptor when
    you're travelling, probably priced top dollar. You can shop around
    before you travel and find regular kits of adaptors, from which you
    choose the one or (maybe) two you want and leave the rest home.

    While I'm thinking about travelling. Don't advertise you're carrying
    anything valuable! You want to look mundane and uninteresting. Carry
    your laptop in a bag that's half worn out -- years ago I knew a man
    who carried valuable medical equipment around in a beatup gym bag and
    it seemed a novel idea at the time. Now I know better.

    Cheers -- Martha Adams

  5. Virtually all laptop power supplies are "universal" and will work with
    any power standard commonly found anywhere in the world, without even
    needing to change a switch setting. Of course, you do need a different
    cord or plug for practically every country.

    Since there is always an exception to every rule, do check the label on
    the power adapter, but it's been more than a decade since I've seen one
    that wasn't universal.

    alfonso gayoso wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > my mother plans to buy a laptop (new one most likely), but she is
    > somewhat concerned because she will be travelling between two
    > countries where one uses 110 volts and the other uses 220 volts.
    >
    > I hope I am right but I told her that it boils down to the power
    > supply.
    >
    > She is eyeing HP laptops due the support in those 2 countries. Do
    > these laptop power supplies have a 110/220 selector or does she have
    > to buy a power supply for each country? is there an aftermarket power
    > supply where you can select the input voltage? I also thought in using
    > a 110 power supply (like the ones in USA) along a travel converter,
    > those tranformer that convert 220 into 110 volts so you can use
    > american devices, but i am not too sure as the current requirements of
    > laptops can be sometimes be high.
    >
    > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    > al

  6. Alun

    Alun Guest

    (Martha H Adams) wrote in news:c8rmpv$tt0$:

    > This is a serious question and it wants a serious response. *Before*
    > travelling.
    >
    > Mine is, the little box in the line cord converts line power to what
    > the laptop machine needs to run. *On this box* you will see some
    > specifications describing what input voltages it can accept. Do not
    > listen to philosophizing about what it is or ought to be: *read the
    > specs*.
    >
    > Which usually will say the input voltage may be anything in a range of
    > (from one of my laptops) 100 to 240 volts, 50 to 60 Hz. In a quick
    > check, two other laptops power supplies take same input range. *Do
    > Not* conclude seeing same numbers on three tells you what they all
    > are!
    >
    > But it indicates a range. Now look at your specific model and see
    > what it says there.
    >
    > To find what's available in the country to be visited, try phoning
    > their embassy nearby; or post the question here; or if you're using a
    > travel agent then ask the agent.
    >
    > In any event, you'll probably need an adaptor to connect the
    > (American) standard plug into the other-country outlet. An adaptor
    > with a fuse in it is always good luck. You can find an adaptor when
    > you're travelling, probably priced top dollar. You can shop around
    > before you travel and find regular kits of adaptors, from which you
    > choose the one or (maybe) two you want and leave the rest home.
    >
    > While I'm thinking about travelling. Don't advertise you're carrying
    > anything valuable! You want to look mundane and uninteresting. Carry
    > your laptop in a bag that's half worn out -- years ago I knew a man
    > who carried valuable medical equipment around in a beatup gym bag and
    > it seemed a novel idea at the time. Now I know better.
    >
    > Cheers -- Martha Adams

    There are international standards for power, which should be either
    115V/60Hz or 230V/50Hz, with a tolerance of + or - 10% on the voltage. The
    standard in the US is 120V/60Hz (no matter what anyone else tells you) but
    that is still within 10% of 115V. Europe is now all on 230V/50Hz (used to
    be 220V on the mainland and 240V in UK and Eire, but that's all changed).
    Unless you are going somewhere really obscure, the voltage should at least
    be intended to fall within 110-120V or 220-240V, which should be within the
    range of any universal power supply.

    There are a huge variety of plugs, though, and you can't rely on standards
    much, e.g. there is theoretically a European standard plug, but I'm not
    sure who uses it (?). Most European countries use the German plug, and the
    plug in the UK and Eire is entirely different from anywhere else. I'm not
    sure which two countries you are interested in (?).

  7. Ian Stirling

    Ian Stirling Guest

    alfonso gayoso <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > my mother plans to buy a laptop (new one most likely), but she is
    > somewhat concerned because she will be travelling between two
    > countries where one uses 110 volts and the other uses 220 volts.
    >
    > I hope I am right but I told her that it boils down to the power
    > supply.

    Yep.
    99.99% of laptops sold have 100-240V power supplies (japan, UK (australia?))
    that auto-switch.
    I'd be very, very surprised to come across one that diddn't.
    Downlaod the user manuals from the makers website of the one you pick
    to make absolutely sure.