    going to a 115v inverter and the regular AC adapter, but maybe
    not. Maybe the DC-to-DC already goes to an internal inverter
    that's less efficient, who knows.

    Ron Hardin, Feb 7, 2011

  2. Ron Hardin

    who where Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 04:28:36 -0500, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >Any good suggestion for a 12v adapter for Dell laptops?
    >
    >In particular, how do you know what works on what models.
    >
    >Second, how efficient are they?
    >
    >Low wattage is a plus - the concern is to run the laptop as long
    >as possible on the 12v battery, and not to recharge the laptop
    >battery. Maybe taking the internal battery out takes care of
    >that?
    >
    >I assume that 12v to whatever DC-to-DC is more efficient than
    >going to a 115v inverter and the regular AC adapter, but maybe
    >not. Maybe the DC-to-DC already goes to an internal inverter
    >that's less efficient, who knows.

    The first issue you need to address is whether the DC-DC approach will
    work with your target Dell machine. The second is whether you can
    source the DC connector to mate with the machine.

    Apart from that:

    .. the efficiency of DC-DC *could be* as high as 90-95%.

    .. inverting to AC line voltage will be *approaching* that efficiency,
    but depends on the inverter's output waveform. Square wave is
    highest. Modified_sine_wave (which is really a modified square wave)
    will be lower, and true sine wave output will have lowest efficiency.

    .. some AC power supplies do NOT like operating on other than a
    reasonable facsimile of a sine wave.

    If the opportunity exists, try it.
    who where, Feb 7, 2011

  3. "Ron Hardin" wrote:
    > Any good suggestion for a 12v adapter for Dell laptops?
    >
    > In particular, how do you know what works on what models.
    > [........]

    Try PowerBrixx.com. I did a search a year ago, and this
    outfit had the best prices on the same stuff that Dell sells -
    not the "just-as-good-as" and "equivalent-to" crap other sites
    sell, but the same manufacturer part nos. Plus, their prices are
    reasonable, and they ship immediately. They also have a guide
    to which adapters to use with Dell laptops.
    http://www.powerbrixx.com/c-27-dell.aspx

    *TimDaniels*
    Timothy Daniels, Feb 8, 2011
  4. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:

    > Any good suggestion for a 12v adapter for Dell laptops?
    >
    > In particular, how do you know what works on what models.
    >
    > Second, how efficient are they?
    >
    > Low wattage is a plus - the concern is to run the laptop as long
    > as possible on the 12v battery, and not to recharge the laptop
    > battery. Maybe taking the internal battery out takes care of
    > that?
    >
    > I assume that 12v to whatever DC-to-DC is more efficient than
    > going to a 115v inverter and the regular AC adapter, but maybe
    > not. Maybe the DC-to-DC already goes to an internal inverter
    > that's less efficient, who knows.

    60w solar array indoors (so it's getting much less than 1/3 power) on a
    dim sun day at noon can power an Inspiron mini 910, with a 60w cigarette
    lighter inverter.

    At least the 12v charge light on the 12v battery charge controller flicks
    on and off, which means the solar array is more than keeping up with the
    load on the battery.

    Which means that when the power goes out and the gasoline runs out, at
    least I can program, at least part of the day.

    The question is whether the detour through 115vac is wasteful or not.

    Ron Hardin, Feb 8, 2011
  5. Ron Hardin

    who where Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:47:59 -0500, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >Ron Hardin wrote:
    >>
    >> Any good suggestion for a 12v adapter for Dell laptops?
    >>
    >> In particular, how do you know what works on what models.
    >>
    >> Second, how efficient are they?
    >>
    >> Low wattage is a plus - the concern is to run the laptop as long
    >> as possible on the 12v battery, and not to recharge the laptop
    >> battery. Maybe taking the internal battery out takes care of
    >> that?
    >>
    >> I assume that 12v to whatever DC-to-DC is more efficient than
    >> going to a 115v inverter and the regular AC adapter, but maybe
    >> not. Maybe the DC-to-DC already goes to an internal inverter
    >> that's less efficient, who knows.

    >60w solar array indoors (so it's getting much less than 1/3 power) on a
    >dim sun day at noon can power an Inspiron mini 910, with a 60w cigarette
    >lighter inverter.
    >
    >At least the 12v charge light on the 12v battery charge controller flicks
    >on and off, which means the solar array is more than keeping up with the
    >load on the battery.
    >
    >Which means that when the power goes out and the gasoline runs out, at
    >least I can program, at least part of the day.
    >
    >The question is whether the detour through 115vac is wasteful or not.

    It is wasteful, but the real question is whether the waste of running
    though an inverter at say 85% and then the laptop's 90-plus percent
    efficient PSU (i.e 75%-ish overall) is at any real cost to either you
    or the planet.

    Do the sums. The sunlight you intercept would otherwise fall on the
    ground/floor and result in heating. The losses in your system result
    in heating, and virtually all the energy your system uses is
    dissipated as heat. Energy in = energy out.

    The concept of wasteful could be applied to all the energy that could
    potentially be intercepted and used, but isn't. Or to the money you
    would otherwise waste by buying electricity from the grid.
    who where, Feb 9, 2011
  6. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    who where wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:47:59 -0500, Ron Hardin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Ron Hardin wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Any good suggestion for a 12v adapter for Dell laptops?
    > >>
    > >> In particular, how do you know what works on what models.
    > >>
    > >> Second, how efficient are they?
    > >>
    > >> Low wattage is a plus - the concern is to run the laptop as long
    > >> as possible on the 12v battery, and not to recharge the laptop
    > >> battery. Maybe taking the internal battery out takes care of
    > >> that?
    > >>
    > >> I assume that 12v to whatever DC-to-DC is more efficient than
    > >> going to a 115v inverter and the regular AC adapter, but maybe
    > >> not. Maybe the DC-to-DC already goes to an internal inverter
    > >> that's less efficient, who knows.

    > >60w solar array indoors (so it's getting much less than 1/3 power) on a
    > >dim sun day at noon can power an Inspiron mini 910, with a 60w cigarette
    > >lighter inverter.
    > >
    > >At least the 12v charge light on the 12v battery charge controller flicks
    > >on and off, which means the solar array is more than keeping up with the
    > >load on the battery.
    > >
    > >Which means that when the power goes out and the gasoline runs out, at
    > >least I can program, at least part of the day.
    > >
    > >The question is whether the detour through 115vac is wasteful or not.

    > It is wasteful, but the real question is whether the waste of running
    > though an inverter at say 85% and then the laptop's 90-plus percent
    > efficient PSU (i.e 75%-ish overall) is at any real cost to either you
    > or the planet.
    >
    > Do the sums. The sunlight you intercept would otherwise fall on the
    > ground/floor and result in heating. The losses in your system result
    > in heating, and virtually all the energy your system uses is
    > dissipated as heat. Energy in = energy out.
    >
    > The concept of wasteful could be applied to all the energy that could
    > potentially be intercepted and used, but isn't. Or to the money you
    > would otherwise waste by buying electricity from the grid.

    The trick isn't generating heat, but doing something with the energy before
    it becomes heat.

    It's an entropy minimization problem.

    Ron Hardin, Feb 9, 2011
  7. Ron Hardin

    Nate Nagel Guest

    On 02/08/2011 01:47 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Ron Hardin wrote:
    >>
    >> Any good suggestion for a 12v adapter for Dell laptops?
    >>
    >> In particular, how do you know what works on what models.
    >>
    >> Second, how efficient are they?
    >>
    >> Low wattage is a plus - the concern is to run the laptop as long
    >> as possible on the 12v battery, and not to recharge the laptop
    >> battery. Maybe taking the internal battery out takes care of
    >> that?
    >>
    >> I assume that 12v to whatever DC-to-DC is more efficient than
    >> going to a 115v inverter and the regular AC adapter, but maybe
    >> not. Maybe the DC-to-DC already goes to an internal inverter
    >> that's less efficient, who knows.

    > 60w solar array indoors (so it's getting much less than 1/3 power) on a
    > dim sun day at noon can power an Inspiron mini 910, with a 60w cigarette
    > lighter inverter.
    >
    > At least the 12v charge light on the 12v battery charge controller flicks
    > on and off, which means the solar array is more than keeping up with the
    > load on the battery.
    >
    > Which means that when the power goes out and the gasoline runs out, at
    > least I can program, at least part of the day.
    >
    > The question is whether the detour through 115vac is wasteful or not.

    I'm sure it has to be.

    I have a Rocketfish (house brand for Best Buy AFAIK) AC/DC power supply.
    It powers my Studio 1555 just fine, but if I tried to boot my old
    Precision M90 off of it I'd get a power supply error. I'd have to boot
    it on battery and then plug the PS in. Works fine inside the house or
    in the car. Don't know if it is more efficient than using an inverter
    and the stock brick, but it seems as though it would be. Now you have
    me curious and I am tempted to rig a test somehow. It's certainly
    lighter and less cumbersome than the inverter that I used to keep in my car.

    nate

    --
    replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    Nate Nagel, Feb 9, 2011
  8. Ron Hardin

    who where Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 19:34:03 -0500, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >who where wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:47:59 -0500, Ron Hardin
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >60w solar array indoors (so it's getting much less than 1/3 power) on a
    >> >dim sun day at noon can power an Inspiron mini 910, with a 60w cigarette
    >> >lighter inverter.
    >> >
    >> >At least the 12v charge light on the 12v battery charge controller flicks
    >> >on and off, which means the solar array is more than keeping up with the
    >> >load on the battery.
    >> >
    >> >Which means that when the power goes out and the gasoline runs out, at
    >> >least I can program, at least part of the day.
    >> >
    >> >The question is whether the detour through 115vac is wasteful or not.

    >> It is wasteful, but the real question is whether the waste of running
    >> though an inverter at say 85% and then the laptop's 90-plus percent
    >> efficient PSU (i.e 75%-ish overall) is at any real cost to either you
    >> or the planet.
    >>
    >> Do the sums. The sunlight you intercept would otherwise fall on the
    >> ground/floor and result in heating. The losses in your system result
    >> in heating, and virtually all the energy your system uses is
    >> dissipated as heat. Energy in = energy out.
    >>
    >> The concept of wasteful could be applied to all the energy that could
    >> potentially be intercepted and used, but isn't. Or to the money you
    >> would otherwise waste by buying electricity from the grid.

    >The trick isn't generating heat, but doing something with the energy before
    >it becomes heat.

    Exactly. The energy is a pass-through, but it's nbice to get some use
    as it passes.

    who where, Feb 9, 2011