    Single Link DVI where the video driver has the reduced blanking
    feature?

    Ray

    Ray, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Ray

    RJT Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > Sorry for crossposting, I couldn't find a general videocard group...
    >
    > I need to drive a HP LP2335 via a Single Link DVI cable on 1920x1200,
    > preferrably on 60Hz (I need the 1920x1200 more than the 60Hz).
    > This only seems to be possible when using the "reduced blanking"
    > feature.
    >
    > There is no need for fancy video-card with quick 3D stuff. No
    > multimedia home theater stuff. Just need for a large screen area of
    > pixels to show a very big window.
    >
    > Which low budget videocards are capable of doing 1920x1200@60Hz over
    > Single Link DVI where the video driver has the reduced blanking
    > feature?

    I've done some research into this myself in the past, and a bit of
    googling will learn that at least the nVidia cards of the GeForce4 and
    up series, as well as Radeon 7500 and 8500 and up have TDMS frequency
    that supports 1920x1200 at 60hz. You may need to turn the feature on in
    the drivers using the advanced display properties, such as alternate
    frequency or refuced blanking interval, but it's there.

    My GeForce4 Ti4200 worked just fine at 1920x1200x60hz through DVI-D.

    As for older cards, it might work, try at your own risk. Matrox I don't
    know. Matrox's site doesn't say, only that the Parhelia does support it,
    but I'd hardly call that a low budget card. If I were you, I'd pick up a
    GeForce4 Ti4200 or a Radeon 8500, should work without a hitch and not be
    too expensive.

    BTW, the only dual link capable DVI cards I know of are the top of the
    range QUADRO cards. (For those that don't know -> dual link DVI is not
    equal to dual DVI output, so don't respond saying you know of GeForce or
    Radeon cards with two DVI ports. There are lots of dual dvi GeForce and
    Radeon cards out there, but none with dual link DVI.)

    RJT, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Ray

    Zulu Guest

    "RJT" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > BTW, the only dual link capable DVI cards I know of are the top of the
    > range QUADRO cards. (For those that don't know -> dual link DVI is not
    > equal to dual DVI output, so don't respond saying you know of GeForce or
    > Radeon cards with two DVI ports. There are lots of dual dvi GeForce and
    > Radeon cards out there, but none with dual link DVI.)

    Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :)

    Zulu

    Zulu, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Ray

    Denis Freund Guest

    Zulu schrieb:
    > Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :)

    a DVI port with 370Mhz bandwith instead of 165MHz. For example needed to
    drive the new Apple 30" TFT.

    The Consumer 6800U *samples* had DualLink DVI:
    http://pics.computerbase.de/artikel/342/33.jpg

    but nVidia decided to remove the second TMDS transmitter :-(

    PNY:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/PNY/pnypics/pnypics 010.jpg

    Leadtek:
    http://www.firingsquad.com/media/article_image.asp?fs_article_id=1521&pic_id=09

    MSI 6800U:
    http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/fullimage.php?image=8598

    Sparkle 6800U:
    http://accelenation.com/graphics/content/tom.sparkle6800.23.jpg

    etc.

    DualLink DVI cards:
    - nVidia QuadroFX 2000/3000/4000 AGP and 3400/4400 PCI-E
    - ATI FireGL X3 (AGP) and V7100 (PCI-E)

    Denis

    Denis Freund, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Ray

    Denis Freund Guest

    Denis Freund schrieb:

    > a DVI port with 370Mhz bandwith instead of 165MHz. For example needed to
    > drive the new Apple 30" TFT.

    ups, sorry, 2x165 = 330 of course :)

    Denis

    Denis Freund, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Ray

    Zulu Guest

    "Denis Freund" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Zulu schrieb:
    >> Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :)

    > a DVI port with 370Mhz bandwith instead of 165MHz. For example needed to
    > drive the new Apple 30" TFT.

    Thanks...

    Zulu

    Zulu, Nov 21, 2004
  7. Ray

    RJT Guest

    Zulu wrote:

    > Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :)

    The DVI specifications for a single DVI link mean that only 165Mhz is
    available, enough for 1600x1200 at 60 Hz, 1920x1080 at 60 Hz or
    1280x1024 at 85Hz, but not enough for 19200x1200 at 60 Hz. If you want
    to display more pixels or the same at higher refresh rates, you need
    more bandwidth. By combining two DVI channels (=dual link DVI), you can
    double the bandwidth and create enough to display i.e. 2048x1536 at 60
    Hz, 1920x1080 at 85 Hz - and more than enough to display 1920x1200 at 60
    Hz. A DVI port has 24 pins. Single link DVI uses only 12 of those pins,
    dual link uses all 24 pins, but only one DVI port.

    And yes, DVI has a possible 24 pins, though most cables are single link
    and thus don't have all the pins. Click the link for a photo of the
    different plugs.
    http://www.datapro.net/images/dvi-config.jpg

    The trick to display 1920x1200 at 60 Hz using a single DVI link is to
    reduce the blanking interval used in the specs.

    Do a bit of googling if you want to know more, it's all out there.

    RJT

    RJT, Nov 22, 2004
  8. In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox Ray <> wrote:
    > I need to drive a HP LP2335 via a Single Link DVI cable on 1920x1200,
    > preferrably on 60Hz (I need the 1920x1200 more than the 60Hz).
    > This only seems to be possible when using the "reduced blanking"
    > feature.
    >
    > There is no need for fancy video-card with quick 3D stuff. No
    > multimedia home theater stuff. Just need for a large screen area of
    > pixels to show a very big window.

    check out the Matrox P650. It can do what yo want with, as you mentioned,
    reduced blanking. The P650 costs US$169:

    http://shopmatrox.com/usa/products/datasheet.asp?ID=385

    Later,
    Steven

    Steven Whatley, Nov 22, 2004
  9. Ray

    Roy Guest

    I'm using a BFG Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT OC
    Core Clock 430Mhz (vs 390Mhz standard)
    Mem Clock 735Mhz Effective
    Drivers 66.93
    to drive my HP L2335 23" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

    It is a good card. Plenty of power for the games I play. I play MS Flight
    Sim 2004 COF mostly but I also play Uru: Complete Chronicles as well. I use
    1920x1200 for my default desktop resolution, but for MSFS I use 1200x960 and
    I get framerates in the 30s with all the goodies turned on. Quiet too.
    Overall the best value card I could find when I bought it. Though I kind of
    wish I'd waited for the agp version of the 6600 to come out. I saw one the
    other day at new egg but I'd wait until the price came down and bfg offered
    an agp version. I must say I absolutely love this monitor. My computer
    uses the digital dvi connector. I use the s-vid input for my bedroom dvd
    player and the composite input for my wife's GameCube. It rocks.

    the rest of my system:
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939 90nm Winchester 1.8Ghz oc'd to 2.6Ghz
    ThermalTake Silent Tower CL-P0025
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat Model 7025 Bios 1.41 (beta)
    OCZ Perf Series PC3500 DDR 433 512MB at 237Mhz 3-4-4-10 x 2 (dual channel)
    Lian Li Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case PC-V1000
    MGE Vigor 500 PSVG-500 500w Power Supply
    Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM 8MG IDE ATA133 6Y160P0 x 2 (Raid - 0)
    LG Electronics GCC-4521BB 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive
    WinXP Pro
    DX 9.0c

    Roy

    Roy, Nov 27, 2004
  10. So, my boss just announce that he is getting me an HP L2335 monitor
    (Yes!!!! I have a great boss!) Unfortunately, I only have a G550.
    Does it stand any hope of driving this display at full resolution at
    60Hz. I guess I am asking if one can reduce blanking on it.....or has
    anyone ever done this with a G550?
    CV

    Caesar Valenti, Dec 14, 2004