2 identical mobos, one doesn't like capture card in same slot, why?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by docsavage20@yahoo.com, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I got 2 of the same Compaq Deskpro EN mobo to replace the original
    that's apparently gone bad so I'd have a spare.

    Took everything out and put it in replacement board "A", in the same
    slots. Everything worked fine.

    However, upon installing replacement board "B", again everything in the
    same slot, it worked with everything except the Pinnacle DC10-Plus
    capture card. While it recognized the card was there as a "Multimedia
    Video Control Device" in Hardware Manager, it showed up with yellow
    question marks and wouldn't do anything. No rainbow test bars, etc., no
    input or output.

    At first it even said "This Device Working Properly" though obviously
    something wasn't right. I uninstalled it thinking I'd reinstall the
    drivers, but then it wouldn't recognize or install the drivers. I was
    actually concerned I'd fried the card somehow, though I'm always
    careful about discharging static by touching bare metal on the case
    every time I put something in.

    After various farting around, I reinstalled board "A" and everything
    was fine.

    What might cause this?

    , Jun 21, 2006

  2. Dave Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I got 2 of the same Compaq Deskpro EN mobo to replace the original
    > that's apparently gone bad so I'd have a spare.
    >
    > Took everything out and put it in replacement board "A", in the same
    > slots. Everything worked fine.
    >
    > However, upon installing replacement board "B", again everything in the
    > same slot, it worked with everything except the Pinnacle DC10-Plus
    > capture card. While it recognized the card was there as a "Multimedia
    > Video Control Device" in Hardware Manager, it showed up with yellow
    > question marks and wouldn't do anything. No rainbow test bars, etc., no
    > input or output.
    >
    > At first it even said "This Device Working Properly" though obviously
    > something wasn't right. I uninstalled it thinking I'd reinstall the
    > drivers, but then it wouldn't recognize or install the drivers. I was
    > actually concerned I'd fried the card somehow, though I'm always
    > careful about discharging static by touching bare metal on the case
    > every time I put something in.
    >
    > After various farting around, I reinstalled board "A" and everything
    > was fine.
    >
    > What might cause this?

    Different BIOS version, different CMOS settings for the same BIOS version.
    Or, less likely, a defective mainboard. -Dave

    Dave, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Conor Guest

    In article <0V1mg.9020$>, Dave
    says...

    > Different BIOS version, different CMOS settings for the same BIOS version.
    > Or, less likely, a defective mainboard. -Dave

    You are correct with the BIOS version. I have witnessed the same with
    Netgear 802.11g PCI Wifi cards on those Deskpros.

    --
    Conor

    Who the **** said I was trying to endear myself to anyone?

    Conor, Jun 21, 2006