    Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great

    --
    Eugene Mac Mahon

    Eugene Mac Mahon, May 25, 2007

  2. Eugene Mac Mahon

    Ben Myers Guest

    First, no overclocking possible with Compaq motherboards.

    Second, the mechanical part of the motherboard replacement is the EASY part of
    the job. Unless it is a Compaq branded motherboard with the same chipset, you
    will need to do a lot to get Windows working right. Not recommended.

    Third, a memory upgrade usually provides the best bang for the buck these days.

    I'll leave to others to comment on the upgrade possibilities with AMD
    processors... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 25, 2007

  3. Right, I'll come clean! What I really want to do is to upgrade this ol
    laptop with the hope of, wait for it, install OS X Tiger on it. Can d
    it natively with the current processor (and ram but thats easy) and erg
    the motherboard and processor upgrade question.

    Eugene Mac Mahon, May 26, 2007
  4. Eugene Mac Mahon

    Ben Myers Guest

    I think that the best you could do would be to replace the Athlon Mobile CPU
    with a slightly faster one, and this would have little effect on system
    performance. A lot of labor involved, too.

    Maxing out the memory would give the most bang for the buck... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 26, 2007
  5. Eugene Mac Mahon

    Guest

    On May 26, 5:03 am, Eugene Mac Mahon <Eugene.Mac.Mahon.
    > wrote:
    > Right, I'll come clean! What I really want to do is to upgrade this old
    > laptop with the hope of, wait for it, install OS X Tiger on it. Can do
    > it natively with the current processor (and ram but thats easy) and ergo
    > the motherboard and processor upgrade question.
    >
    > Ben Myers;720720 Wrote:
    >

    > > First, no overclocking possible with Compaq motherboards.

    > > Second, the mechanical part of the motherboard replacement is the EASY
    > > part of
    > > the job. Unless it is a Compaq branded motherboard with the same
    > > chipset, you
    > > will need to do a lot to get Windows working right. Not recommended.

    > > Third, a memory upgrade usually provides the best bang for the buck
    > > these days.

    > > I'll leave to others to comment on the upgrade possibilities with AMD
    > > processors... Ben Myers

    > > On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:17:13 +0100, Eugene Mac Mahon
    > > wrote:
    > > -

    > > Ok, I Think I Know The Answer Is No To This Question Before I Ask It
    > > But
    > > Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
    > > (model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The Amd
    > > Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
    > > Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also
    > > Consider
    > > Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask So
    > > Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.-

    > --
    > Eugene Mac Mahon

    Whoa. There's not a lot of help for that, in either mac or PC land.
    There are more people running Irix, than who are successfully running
    OSX on a pc.

    Anyway, here's the best help you are likely to get.

    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

    , May 28, 2007
  6. The installation of os x of the pc isnt a problem believe it or not,
    have that sorted, but, it requires sse2 or sse3 features on th
    processor which i am aware my processor does not. SO, I said I'd as
    the question half knowing the answer was no. However, 1 last questio
    on upgrading. Im now happy enough to replace the mainboard an
    processor having found the service manual with great detail o
    dis-assembly on the compaq 2178ea model. Anybody know of a mainboard
    processor and ram combination (allowing for at least an sse2 processor
    that will fit into my compaq case? Or am I just talkin' crazy?

    Eugene Mac Mahon, May 28, 2007
  7. Eugene Mac Mahon

    Guest

    On May 28, 2:08 am, Eugene Mac Mahon
    <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > But
    > > Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
    > > (model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The
    > > Amd
    > > Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
    > > Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also
    > > Consider
    > > Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask
    > > So
    > > Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.--

    > > --
    > > Eugene Mac Mahon-

    > > Whoa. There's not a lot of help for that, in either mac or PC land.
    > > There are more people running Irix, than who are successfully running
    > > OSX on a pc.

    > > Anyway, here's the best help you are likely to get.

    Crazy talking, I think.... hardly anybody does replacement
    motherboards on laptops, and when they do, it's to replace a dead
    mainboard with a live one of the same model. On a desktop, i wouldn't
    be so apprehensive, but at a minimum you'll go through a major ordeal,
    even IF you find a compatable replacement motherboard, which isn't all
    that likely.

    Too many variables in a laptop, not only does it have to mount in the
    case, but the connectors for the screen, keyboard, hard drive, cd,
    floppy, etc, have to be the same, and the heatsink has to mount
    properly. And even if it does all fit, then there are potential
    thermal issues to deal with. This is a nightmare project.

    , May 29, 2007
  8. Eugene Mac Mahon

    Ben Myers Guest

    From my experience servicing successive generations of Dell notebooks, I concur.
    A motherboard upgrade would be a nightmare. None of the name brand notebook
    manufacturers ever thinks about upward compatibility of motherboards, only
    continued use of the same common hardware parts, and, once in a while, some of
    the same plastic. But interior connectors and cables are different.

    If the OP does not have a fast enough computer, he should sell it and buy
    another... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 29, 2007
  9. Eugene Mac Mahon

    HH Guest

    I agree with Ben. If you want to run a Mac OS, get a Mac notebook or
    desktop.

    HH

    HH, May 29, 2007