2GB problem with Intel motherboard

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Adams, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. Adams

    Adams Guest

    We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
    These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
    Channel A, DIMM 0
    Channel A, DIMM 1
    Channel B, DIMM 0
    Channel B, DIMM 1

    If I have 1GB at Channel A, DIMM 0, I can run both XP and Vista (32 bits
    Ultimate and Business) fine.

    I am unable to run XP at 2GB stable.
    When I run the defragmenter, I will get blue screen crashed promptly.

    I can run Vista (32 bits ultimate) at 2GB stable only when I have:
    Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.
    but, it does has blue screen crash about once every other weeks.

    I am unable to run Vista (32 bits) at 2GB when I have:
    Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.
    I run the defragmenter and Vista will crash in blue screen.

    So, what is the correct slot for 2GB?
    Is 2GB works on XP and Vista?

    1. Advertising

  2. Fergus

    Fergus Guest

    "Adams" <> wrote in message
    > We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
    > These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
    > Channel A, DIMM 0
    > Channel A, DIMM 1
    > Channel B, DIMM 0
    > Channel B, DIMM 1
    >
    > If I have 1GB at Channel A, DIMM 0, I can run both XP and Vista (32 bits
    > Ultimate and Business) fine.
    >
    > I am unable to run XP at 2GB stable.
    > When I run the defragmenter, I will get blue screen crashed promptly.
    >
    > I can run Vista (32 bits ultimate) at 2GB stable only when I have:
    > Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    > Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.
    > but, it does has blue screen crash about once every other weeks.
    >
    > I am unable to run Vista (32 bits) at 2GB when I have:
    > Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    > Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.
    > I run the defragmenter and Vista will crash in blue screen.
    >
    > So, what is the correct slot for 2GB?
    > Is 2GB works on XP and Vista?

    they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your board
    it newish.

    are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
    times.

    1. Advertising

  3. Adams

    Adams Guest

    "Fergus" <> wrote in message

    > "Adams" <> wrote in message
    >> We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
    >> These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
    >> Channel A, DIMM 0
    >> Channel A, DIMM 1
    >> Channel B, DIMM 0
    >> Channel B, DIMM 1

    > they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your
    > board it newish.
    >
    > are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
    > times.

    Fergus, all 4 slots connectors are the same exact color.

    The 2 x 1GB DIMM memory are purchased from different companies at different
    time.

  4. Fergus

    Fergus Guest

    "Adams" <> wrote in message
    > "Fergus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Adams" <> wrote in message
    >>> We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
    >>> These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
    >>> Channel A, DIMM 0
    >>> Channel A, DIMM 1
    >>> Channel B, DIMM 0
    >>> Channel B, DIMM 1

    >> they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your
    >> board it newish.
    >>
    >> are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
    >> times.
    >>

    > Fergus, all 4 slots connectors are the same exact color.
    >
    > The 2 x 1GB DIMM memory are purchased from different companies at
    > different time.

    OK then I think you have mismatched RAM.............

  5. Charged Up

    Charged Up Guest

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 05:48:20 GMT, "Adams" <>
    wrote:

    >So, what is the correct slot for 2GB?
    >Is 2GB works on XP and Vista?

    Intel motherboards are very particular on the kind of memory that can be
    used. Not only do you have to have memory of the right voltage, but the
    latency is critical. The manual will say something like 1.8volts 5-5-5 or
    6-6-6.

    Various sellers of memory have online tools to match the proper memory to
    your motherboard. The intel manual also has figures on how to populate the
    DIMM sockets, based on the kind of memory available and performance
    desired. But if your memory is not of the right timing for your
    motherboard, no matter how many combinations you try, you'll get
    malfunctions as you've described.

    You should have no trouble with 2GB on XP or Vista 32-bit.

  6. "Fergus" <> wrote in message

    > "Adams" <> wrote in message
    >> "Fergus" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Adams" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your
    >>> board it newish.
    >>>
    >>> are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
    >>> times.
    >>>

    >> Fergus, all 4 slots connectors are the same exact color.
    >>
    >> The 2 x 1GB DIMM memory are purchased from different companies at
    >> different time.
    >>

    > OK then I think you have mismatched RAM.............

    Check you are running RAM at rated voltage. Dowmload and run Memtest86+,
    you should have NO errors, even when run overnight.

    Mike.

  7. Adams

    Adams Guest

    "Michael Hawes" <> wrote in message
    news:474b51d3$>>>> news:E6t2j.20671$...

    > Check you are running RAM at rated voltage. Dowmload and run
    > Memtest86+, you should have NO errors, even when run overnight.
    >
    > Mike.

    Reply from Intel support, this shows:
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-011965.htm
    I have 1GB at Channel A DIMM 0, Channel B DIMM 0:
    Dual Channel (Interleaved) Mode Configuration with Two DIMMs
    The following conditions do not need to be met:
    a.. Same brand
    b.. Same timing specifications
    c.. Same DDR speed