2GB problem with Intel motherboard

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Adams, Nov 22, 2007.

  1. Adams

    Adams Guest

    I have the Intel DP965LT motherboard with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
    This motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
    Channel A, DIMM 0
    Channel A, DIMM 1
    Channel B, DIMM 0
    Channel B, DIMM 1

    If I have 1GB at Channel A, DIMM 0, I can run both XP and Vista fine.

    I am unable to run XP at 2GB stable.
    Best test is to run the defragmenter.
    I will get the blue screen and operating system crashed.

    I can run Vista at 2GB stable only when I have:
    Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.

    I am unable to run Vista at 2GB when I have:
    Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.
    I run the defragmenter and Vista will crash.

    Is this what you folks found too?
    Adams, Nov 22, 2007

  2. Adams

    Adams Guest

    "Adams" <> wrote in message
    > I can run Vista at 2GB stable only when I have:
    > Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    > Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.

    correction, when I run Vista at 2GB, it does blue screen crash about once
    every other weeks.
    Adams, Nov 23, 2007

  3. Adams

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Adams" <> wrote in message
    > "Adams" <> wrote in message
    >> I can run Vista at 2GB stable only when I have:
    >> Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
    >> Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.
    >>

    > correction, when I run Vista at 2GB, it does blue screen crash about once every other
    > weeks.

    I'd suspect that the 2nd 1GB is faulty. Run the Vista memory diagnostic
    on each module separately, and then install them together and run them
    again.

    Unless the two 1GB modules are identical, it's possible that the SPD
    timing info on one of them is not correct. The motherboard will try to
    use the slower timing of the two when they are differrent.

    If they are identical, you get the best performance by having one
    in Channel A, DIMM 0 and the other in Channel B, DIMM 0
    (Dual channel, interleaved mode).

    Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed.

    Bob
    Bob Bailin, Nov 26, 2007
  4. Adams

    Adams Guest

    "Bob Bailin" <> wrote in message

    > I'd suspect that the 2nd 1GB is faulty. Run the Vista memory diagnostic
    > on each module separately, and then install them together and run them
    > again.
    >
    > Unless the two 1GB modules are identical, it's possible that the SPD
    > timing info on one of them is not correct. The motherboard will try to
    > use the slower timing of the two when they are differrent.
    >
    > If they are identical, you get the best performance by having one
    > in Channel A, DIMM 0 and the other in Channel B, DIMM 0
    > (Dual channel, interleaved mode).
    >
    > Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed.
    >
    > Bob

    Bob,
    Actually, I swap the two 1GB memory modules and results are the same.
    Also, another problem running Vista with 2GB, I often get this error:

    "Superfetch has stopped working" - "A problem caused the program to stop
    working correctly. Please close the program."

    What mode is Channel A, DIMM 0 with 1GB and Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.
    Adams, Nov 26, 2007
  5. Adams

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Adams" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob Bailin" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I'd suspect that the 2nd 1GB is faulty. Run the Vista memory diagnostic
    >> on each module separately, and then install them together and run them
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Unless the two 1GB modules are identical, it's possible that the SPD
    >> timing info on one of them is not correct. The motherboard will try to
    >> use the slower timing of the two when they are differrent.
    >>
    >> If they are identical, you get the best performance by having one
    >> in Channel A, DIMM 0 and the other in Channel B, DIMM 0
    >> (Dual channel, interleaved mode).
    >>
    >> Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Bob,
    > Actually, I swap the two 1GB memory modules and results are the same.
    > Also, another problem running Vista with 2GB, I often get this error:
    >
    > "Superfetch has stopped working" - "A problem caused the program to stop
    > working correctly. Please close the program."
    >
    > What mode is Channel A, DIMM 0 with 1GB and Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.

    That would be single channel, asymmetric mode. Slightly less efficient than dual channel.

    I would seriously recommend that you run the Vista Memory Diagnostic before
    you try anything else. From the search box on the start menu, type in: memory
    and it should be the first program in the results.

    Bob
    Bob Bailin, Nov 27, 2007