    surf Guest

    For a $899 HP at circuit city you pay
    $300 for a 4 year warranty, is that a good idea ?

    surf, May 25, 2006

  2. I recently passed on the warranty for a $1249 Toshiba. I couldn't bring
    myself to prepay $300 for a repair that will likely never be needed. This
    isn't like insurance, where you're leveraging a relatively small amount to
    cover yourself for claims that you can't possibly meet from your own assets.
    Service plans and consumer warranties are a cash cow for retailers, since
    people rarely use them. Sales people at places like Best Buy are under
    enormous pressure to sell service plans, and their potential for advancement
    and raises is based largely on how well they sell extras like service plans
    and software. But I didn't wish ill on the sales guy. I know he's in a fix
    and has bills to pay. So I also bought some software, and that seemed to
    make him happy.
    --
    Curtis Croulet
    Temecula, California

    Curtis Croulet, May 26, 2006

  3. Re: $300 for a 4 year warranty at circuit city - good idea or not?

    See my previous post. The problem is that if you crack the screen
    (likely if you ever drop the laptop), you will be looking at an $800
    repair. If the motherboard fails out of warranty, you will also
    probably be looking at an $800 repair.

    Barry Watzman, May 26, 2006
  4. surf

    Kevin Guest

    "surf" <> wrote in message

    > For a $899 HP at circuit city you pay
    > $300 for a 4 year warranty, is that a good idea ?

    No. Frankly, extended warranties are a rip off.

    Kevin, May 26, 2006
  5. "surf" <> wrote:
    > For a $899 HP at circuit city you pay
    >$300 for a 4 year warranty, is that a good idea ?

    I don't like extended warranties from anyone but the manufacturer.
    Read the fine print, many of them are exhausted after a single repair.

    I do like laptop warranties for as long as you are planning on owning
    the machine, though. As Barry said, one LCD or motherboard repair and
    you've spent well over half the cost of a new machine, and some of the
    low-end machines come with 90-day warranties...

    William P.N. Smith, May 26, 2006
  6. surf

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > See my previous post. The problem is that if you crack the screen (likely
    > if you ever drop the laptop), you will be looking at an $800 repair. If
    > the motherboard fails out of warranty, you will also probably be looking
    > at an $800 repair.

    Just to illustrate how bad value service plans are: instead of paying for
    them, put the money into a savings account instead. Do this for everything
    you buy, for which a service plan is offered. Everytime something goes
    wrong, pay for the repair out of the savings account. After some years, the
    huge surplus of cash in the savings account should answer any doubts that
    you had about service plans. Note: that your savings account has probably
    paid for repairs that would be refused by the service plan, because the plan
    has expired or the failure falls under one of the many exclusion clauses.

    M.I.5¾, May 26, 2006
  7. Charlie Hoffpauir, May 26, 2006
  8. surf

    timeOday Guest

    M.I.5¾ wrote:
    > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>See my previous post. The problem is that if you crack the screen (likely
    >>if you ever drop the laptop), you will be looking at an $800 repair. If
    >>the motherboard fails out of warranty, you will also probably be looking
    >>at an $800 repair.
    >>

    > Just to illustrate how bad value service plans are: instead of paying for
    > them, put the money into a savings account instead. Do this for everything
    > you buy, for which a service plan is offered. Everytime something goes
    > wrong, pay for the repair out of the savings account. After some years, the
    > huge surplus of cash in the savings account should answer any doubts that
    > you had about service plans.

    The only thing is, extended warranties are moneymakers partly because
    even people who *should* collect on them often do not. I don't normally
    buy them, but I can see where they *might* pay off if you're the type of
    person who can keep track of receipts for years, etc.

    timeOday, May 26, 2006
  9. surf

    B. Peg Guest

    > "timeOday" wrote:
    > The only thing is, extended warranties are moneymakers partly because even
    > people who *should* collect on them often do not. I don't normally buy
    > them, but I can see where they *might* pay off if you're the type of
    > person who can keep track of receipts for years, etc.

    I'm guilty of that. My laptop's battery crapped in one year so I went and
    paid $150 for a new one. It was covered in the contract that I learned
    later when it was too late. It then crapped out the modem which was out of
    warranty by then.

    The new HP I opted out of the service plan. Exactly 13 months, the screen
    went dead ($450). Got that fixed and then two months later the CD-DVD
    burner crapped. They wanted over $550 for that which I said no to and went
    and bought an external DVD burner for the USB 2 port which works far better
    and faster than the built-in ever did.

    B~

    B. Peg, May 27, 2006
  10. surf

    J. Clarke Guest

    surf wrote:

    > For a $899 HP at circuit city you pay
    > $300 for a 4 year warranty, is that a good idea ?

    Read all the fine print and think about how you're going to use the machine.
    If it covers breakage and you're going to be carrying the machine around
    instead of sitting it on a desktop and leaving it there, it's
    worthwhile--machines that get carried around _do_ get dropped and the like.

    While generally I don't recommend extended warranties, laptops are an
    exception.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, May 28, 2006
  11. surf

    J. Clarke Guest

    timeOday wrote:

    > M.I.5¾ wrote:
    >> "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>See my previous post. The problem is that if you crack the screen
    >>>(likely
    >>>if you ever drop the laptop), you will be looking at an $800 repair. If
    >>>the motherboard fails out of warranty, you will also probably be looking
    >>>at an $800 repair.
    >>>

    >> Just to illustrate how bad value service plans are: instead of paying for
    >> them, put the money into a savings account instead. Do this for
    >> everything
    >> you buy, for which a service plan is offered. Everytime something goes
    >> wrong, pay for the repair out of the savings account. After some years,
    >> the huge surplus of cash in the savings account should answer any doubts
    >> that you had about service plans.

    > The only thing is, extended warranties are moneymakers partly because
    > even people who *should* collect on them often do not. I don't normally
    > buy them, but I can see where they *might* pay off if you're the type of
    > person who can keep track of receipts for years, etc.

    There was this wonderful invention made over 100 years ago called a "filing
    cabinet". They can be obtained inexpensively and you might want to get one
    to hold such things.

    J. Clarke, May 28, 2006
  12. Re: $300 for a 4 year warranty at circuit city - good idea or not?

    There were even more wonderful inventions invented somewhat more
    recently called Scanners and Adobe Acrobat. And virtually every single
    important document that I have now exists in My Document\PDF Documents.
    Over 20,000 pages, anything I could ever want (and most institutions
    offer your statements in downloadable PDF format with no need to scan
    them or create the PDFs yourself). And acres and acres of documents
    will fit in a few hundred megabytes of disk space.

    Barry Watzman, May 28, 2006
  13. surf

    J. Clarke Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > There were even more wonderful inventions invented somewhat more
    > recently called Scanners and Adobe Acrobat. And virtually every single
    > important document that I have now exists in My Document\PDF Documents.
    > Over 20,000 pages, anything I could ever want (and most institutions
    > offer your statements in downloadable PDF format with no need to scan
    > them or create the PDFs yourself). And acres and acres of documents
    > will fit in a few hundred megabytes of disk space.

    The trouble with that is that unless hoops are jumped through when the scan
    is made the images of warranty forms and sales receipts may not be accepted
    when a claim has to be made.

    J. Clarke, May 29, 2006
  14. surf

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "B. Peg" <> wrote in message
    >> "timeOday" wrote:
    >> The only thing is, extended warranties are moneymakers partly because
    >> even people who *should* collect on them often do not. I don't normally
    >> buy them, but I can see where they *might* pay off if you're the type of
    >> person who can keep track of receipts for years, etc.

    That applies only for those warranties where there is a cash back deal if
    you don't use it. They are uncommon on this side of the pond (UK).

    > I'm guilty of that. My laptop's battery crapped in one year so I went and
    > paid $150 for a new one. It was covered in the contract that I learned
    > later when it was too late. It then crapped out the modem which was out
    > of warranty by then.
    >
    > The new HP I opted out of the service plan. Exactly 13 months, the screen
    > went dead ($450). Got that fixed and then two months later the CD-DVD
    > burner crapped. They wanted over $550 for that which I said no to and
    > went and bought an external DVD burner for the USB 2 port which works far
    > better and faster than the built-in ever did.

    Your experience, though unfortunate, is not typical. They are, after all, a
    gamble. The smart money says they are not worth it.

    M.I.5¾, May 30, 2006