3700+ can barely touch 2.5Ghz

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Hopeful, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. Hopeful

    Hopeful Guest

    Running a A64 3700+ San Diego and can barely run it at 2.5Ghz, in fact
    I have to run it at the following.

    275 HTT x 9 = 2475 @ 1.4v
    RAM runs around 230

    M/B is ASUS A8N32-SLI, RAM is 1Gb of Geil 3500 which will run up to
    about 250Mhz with sloppy timings. Cooling is a Zalman 9500LED.

    I've tried vcore up to 1.55v but it make no difference other than
    temperature increase. Anything over 2500 cause prime failures and
    stability issue in games, anything over 2560 wont even boot into windows.

    All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
    disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
    4x275 (1100)

    I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
    disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
    am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

    Hopeful, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Hopeful

    Ed Light Guest

    It's worth trying one notch lower on the HTT ratio. It's only supposed to go
    to 1000. The difference shouldn't be detectable on benchmarks, I think.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, Jun 12, 2006

  3. Hopeful

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:42:59 +0100, Hopeful wrote:

    > All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
    > disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
    > 4x275 (1100)
    >
    > I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
    > disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
    > am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

    I agree with Ed. lower the HT bus to 3x, and while you're at it, lower the
    base ram bus to 133MHz, 166MHz max. Raise vcore to 1.5v and you should be
    able to go a lot higher on the FSB. I assume you want to get to 9x300.

    Wes Newell, Jun 12, 2006
  4. Hopeful

    Hopeful Guest

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:42:59 +0100, Hopeful wrote:
    >
    >> All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
    >> disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
    >> 4x275 (1100)
    >>
    >> I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
    >> disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
    >> am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

    > I agree with Ed. lower the HT bus to 3x, and while you're at it, lower the
    > base ram bus to 133MHz, 166MHz max. Raise vcore to 1.5v and you should be
    > able to go a lot higher on the FSB. I assume you want to get to 9x300.

    Thanks for replying..

    Tried dropping HTTBus to 3x but its not making any difference

    300x9 (2700) wont even post
    300x8.5 (2550) will boot into windows but fails prime in less than 60sec
    300x8 (2400) is stable (so I know 300fsb is fine)

    Tried upping vcore to 1.55 and it made no difference, upping it to 1.6v
    and that allows it to boot into windows at a little over 2.6Ghz but very
    flakey (prime fail and random BSOD).

    Looks like this processor is a real lemon (compared to most).

    p.s. What sort of temperatures should I be getting roughly? At the
    stable setting of 275x9 Im currently getting around 60c underload and
    around 51c at idle (this is with room temp atm is currently 28c but is
    usually more like 23/24c).

    p.p.s. Just noticed reports of some people getting warped versions of
    the same heat sink im using, judging by my temps is there a chance I
    might have such a heat sink?

    Hopeful, Jun 12, 2006
  5. Hopeful

    Ed Light Guest

    My Winnie at 2.4 and 1.45v idles at 27C. I would say, yes, you have cooling
    problems. I really wouldn't want to get over 50C, ever.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, Jun 13, 2006
  6. Hopeful

    Dylan C Guest

    Hopeful wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:42:59 +0100, Hopeful wrote:
    >>
    >>> All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link
    >>> is disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is
    >>> set 4x275 (1100)
    >>>
    >>> I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am
    >>> VERY disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a
    >>> CPU or am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice
    >>> appreciated.

    >> I agree with Ed. lower the HT bus to 3x, and while you're at it, lower
    >> the
    >> base ram bus to 133MHz, 166MHz max. Raise vcore to 1.5v and you should be
    >> able to go a lot higher on the FSB. I assume you want to get to 9x300.
    >>

    > Thanks for replying..
    >
    > Tried dropping HTTBus to 3x but its not making any difference
    >
    > 300x9 (2700) wont even post
    > 300x8.5 (2550) will boot into windows but fails prime in less than 60sec
    > 300x8 (2400) is stable (so I know 300fsb is fine)
    >
    > Tried upping vcore to 1.55 and it made no difference, upping it to 1.6v
    > and that allows it to boot into windows at a little over 2.6Ghz but very
    > flakey (prime fail and random BSOD).
    >
    > Looks like this processor is a real lemon (compared to most).
    >
    > p.s. What sort of temperatures should I be getting roughly? At the
    > stable setting of 275x9 Im currently getting around 60c underload and
    > around 51c at idle (this is with room temp atm is currently 28c but is
    > usually more like 23/24c).
    >
    > p.p.s. Just noticed reports of some people getting warped versions of
    > the same heat sink im using, judging by my temps is there a chance I
    > might have such a heat sink?

    I forget the actual limit of the CPU (I think it gets crispy at 70 C),
    but your idle temps should never be over 50 (under 40 is pretty
    realistic) and I get nervous at 60C under load. Keep in mind that as
    your system and heasink collect dust, your temps will creep higher.
    These values also assume a less than optimal stock heatsink. Good
    aftermarket heatsinks should drop these numbers substantially.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Hopeful

    Hopeful Guest

    Ed Light wrote:
    > My Winnie at 2.4 and 1.45v idles at 27C. I would say, yes, you have cooling
    > problems. I really wouldn't want to get over 50C, ever.

    Now that room temperature has dropped to a more "normal" 22C system is
    idling at around 46c and under load its reaching about 54c.

    If you can get those sort of temperatures (I presume your using air
    cooling?) on a processor model which supposedly runs hotter than mine
    then it indeed sounds like I have cooling issues :( .

    Going to have to take off this 9500LED and check its not one of the
    warped ones, because if this isnt touching at centre of the die it may
    go some way to explaining my p**s poor results. All I'm looking for is
    2.6Ghz, anything else is a bonus of course :) .

    Hopeful, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Hopeful

    Ed Light Guest

    > Going to have to take off this 9500LED

    My, that's a good unit.
    Can't remember if you mentioned your case fan situation? Is the heat being
    removed quickly?
    What did you do for grease?

    I'm using an Arctic Freezer 64 without the fan, ducted to the 1900 rpm 80mm
    panaflo case fan with aluminum tape. Running 3D sims it can get to 45C. I
    used Arctic Silver company's Alumina, following their instructions for
    pre-cleaning and application.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, Jun 13, 2006
  9. Hopeful

    Hopeful Guest

    Ed Light wrote:
    >> Going to have to take off this 9500LED

    > My, that's a good unit.
    > Can't remember if you mentioned your case fan situation? Is the heat being
    > removed quickly?
    > What did you do for grease?
    >
    > I'm using an Arctic Freezer 64 without the fan, ducted to the 1900 rpm 80mm
    > panaflo case fan with aluminum tape. Running 3D sims it can get to 45C. I
    > used Arctic Silver company's Alumina, following their instructions for
    > pre-cleaning and application.

    Case cooling is :-

    front intake - 1 x 120mm fan (running at 7v)
    rear exhaust - 2 x 80mm Akasa (adjustable speed fans - lowest speed atm)
    top exhaust - 1 x 80mm low noise/noname piece of cr*p (but its got the
    brightest LEDs I've *ever* seen on a fan)

    and almost forgot..

    side panel intake - 1 x 80mm low(ish) speed

    So I don't think case cooling is an issue ;-)

    I don't trust the case temps from the motherboard readings as they seem
    to be right in the power regulation area of the motherboard. The fact
    the little sh***y optional fan which only cools this PR area (only
    supposed to be used in H2O cooled systems) drops the reported
    temperature by over 15c confirms that. I did measure it with an
    external probe and while I cant remember the readings it wasn't
    excessive, probably a little higher than average as this system does
    have 4xhdd in it. :-O

    Before anyone pipes up about 4xHDD causing excessive power load and
    maybe my o/c problems it makes no difference, tried with just one HDD
    powered up no difference. While 460W might be a little on the low side,
    its a quality supply and I've seen no evidence its being stressed (12v
    and 5v are rock solid stable and 3.3v line wobbles only a tiny amount
    (much less than any other system I've seen).

    Hopeful, Jun 13, 2006
  10. Hopeful

    Ed Light Guest

    Side fans can actually retard cpu cooling by interrupting the flow-through,
    but not as much as you're experiencing, AFAIK.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, Jun 14, 2006
  11. "Hopeful" <> wrote in message

    > Ed Light wrote:
    >> My Winnie at 2.4 and 1.45v idles at 27C. I would say, yes, you have
    >> cooling problems. I really wouldn't want to get over 50C, ever.
    >>

    > Now that room temperature has dropped to a more "normal" 22C system is
    > idling at around 46c and under load its reaching about 54c.
    >
    > If you can get those sort of temperatures (I presume your using air
    > cooling?) on a processor model which supposedly runs hotter than mine then
    > it indeed sounds like I have cooling issues :( .
    >
    > Going to have to take off this 9500LED and check its not one of the warped
    > ones, because if this isnt touching at centre of the die it may go some
    > way to explaining my p**s poor results. All I'm looking for is 2.6Ghz,
    > anything else is a bonus of course :) .

    Sorry to intrude with unwelcome news, but I believe you have a cooling issue
    despite all your fans, etc.

    I base my opinion on the following:
    3200+ Winchester overclocked to 2.5 GHz on an Asus A8V Deluxe w/ 3 HD, DVD,
    DVD-+R, 2 Gig PC4000, etc in Antec SOHO tower w/ 2 slow-quiet 80mm rear
    exhaust & 1 slow-quiet 80mm front intake. Using *stock* HSF.
    Temps
    Room: 25C
    Case: 28C
    CPU Idle: 36C
    CPU 100%: never over 46C

    Essentially, our CPU's are running at the same speed. Your room is cooler,
    yet your CPU idle and stress temps are considerably higher with a special
    HSF (which *should* work better than the AMD-supplied stock HSF, correct?).

    I think Ed's comments about the possibility of fans "fighting" each other
    might apply. More is often not better. I don't see where you've told us your
    case temperature? The differentials between room and case, and between case
    and CPU will help with the analysis (big difference between room and case
    often indicates airflow issue. big difference between case and CPU often
    indicated HSF issue).

    Peter van der Goes, Jun 14, 2006
  12. Hopeful

    Ed Light Guest

    "Peter van der Goes" <> wrote

    > I think Ed's comments about the possibility of fans "fighting" each other
    > might apply.

    Here is an article where they tried different configurations and a single
    rear fan blowing out won. But they aren't clear about whether they covered
    up the holes for the unused fans.

    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=230

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, Jun 15, 2006
  13. Hopeful

    user Guest

    Hopeful wrote:
    > Running a A64 3700+ San Diego and can barely run it at 2.5Ghz, in fact I
    > have to run it at the following.
    >
    > 275 HTT x 9 = 2475 @ 1.4v
    > RAM runs around 230
    >
    > M/B is ASUS A8N32-SLI, RAM is 1Gb of Geil 3500 which will run up to
    > about 250Mhz with sloppy timings. Cooling is a Zalman 9500LED.
    >
    > I've tried vcore up to 1.55v but it make no difference other than
    > temperature increase. Anything over 2500 cause prime failures and
    > stability issue in games, anything over 2560 wont even boot into windows.
    >
    > All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
    > disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
    > 4x275 (1100)
    >
    > I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
    > disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
    > am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

    you have a problem with the board specially with the bios, change it ...
    for ABIT or MSI they handle better high cpu. ASUS is only a name ... do
    not take anyboard if do not have Phoenix Bios ... Phoenix bios is the
    only top.

    In case Happy independance day to all , Bro.

    Mike. from Canada.

    user, Jun 16, 2006