    the computer. Defual voltage. Seem like nice speed since high end cpus
    don't run that fast.

    What is resanable to set the voltage at and high speeds?

    mark, Nov 14, 2006

  2. mark

    Dylan C Guest

    mark wrote:
    > I have this cpu running at 2500mhz from 2000. I think under load it reset
    > the computer. Defual voltage. Seem like nice speed since high end cpus
    > don't run that fast.
    >
    > What is resanable to set the voltage at and high speeds?

    You need to increase the voltage until it stabilizes or until it gets
    too hot. Stable voltage varies from CPU to CPU and temperature varies
    greatly from PC to PC. Of course there is a maximum voltage, but it
    will probably overheat before you get the voltage that high.

    For 2500MHz, increasing the voltage one or two increments should do the
    trick.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Nov 14, 2006

  3. mark

    mark Guest

    What about mem timeing. The memory I have has spec for 2 3 2 6 T1
    but my Asus A8N-SLI has a bunch of mem settings.

    mark, Nov 15, 2006
  4. mark

    Dylan C Guest

    mark wrote:
    > What about mem timeing. The memory I have has spec for 2 3 2 6 T1
    > but my Asus A8N-SLI has a bunch of mem settings.
    >

    > "Dylan C" <> wrote in message
    >> mark wrote:
    >>> I have this cpu running at 2500mhz from 2000. I think under load it
    >>> reset the computer. Defual voltage. Seem like nice speed since high end
    >>> cpus don't run that fast.
    >>>
    >>> What is resanable to set the voltage at and high speeds?
    >>>

    >> You need to increase the voltage until it stabilizes or until it gets too
    >> hot. Stable voltage varies from CPU to CPU and temperature varies greatly
    >> from PC to PC. Of course there is a maximum voltage, but it will probably
    >> overheat before you get the voltage that high.
    >>
    >> For 2500MHz, increasing the voltage one or two increments should do the
    >> trick.
    >>
    >> -Dylan C

    Need some more info for good advice. Like what speed is your memory?
    ie PC3200, PC3500, etc. What is the FSB of the system? I'm guessing
    from memory timings that this is a Socket 939/DDR system, not AM2/DDR2.
    What brand is the memory?

    Until I get some more details, I'll make some assumptions. First, I'll
    assume that your front side bus is set to 250MHz and your memory is
    rated less than 250MHz, probably 200MHz.

    That done, there are two ways to handle memory in an overclocked system.
    The first is to overclock the memory to the same FSB as the cpu. This
    will involve upping the DDR voltage and relaxing your timings to 3-4-3
    or somethings. If your memory is less-than-perfect I would guess that
    250MHz is beyond reach. But to be honest, I've never overclocked memory
    and am just guessing here. I prefer the second approach.

    A far easier and likely better method is to drop the speed of the memory
    with a memory divider. I've seen this listed in two ways. THe first is
    a straightforward ratio of 6/6, 5/6, etc. THis will calculate your
    memory FSB based on, for example, 5/6 of your CPU FSB. In your case it
    would be 250 x 5/6 = 208MHz...much easier than 250. The other way I
    have seen it involves memory speeds to represent memory dividers. For
    example, my Abit AV8 has an option to set the memory speed as DDR-333.
    This does not lock the memory at 166MHz, but instead uses the 5/6 memory
    divider discussed earlier.

    Also, your HT Multiplier should be dropped from 5x to 4x anytime your
    FSB speeds get significantly over 200MHz.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Nov 15, 2006
  5. mark

    Eric Parker Guest

    "mark" <> wrote in message
    >I have this cpu running at 2500mhz from 2000. I think under load it
    >reset the computer. Defual voltage. Seem like nice speed since high
    >end cpus don't run that fast.
    >
    > What is resanable to set the voltage at and high speeds?

    mark

    There's lots you haven't said here.
    Have you been running Memtest86 ?
    What is HTT set to (*4 is my recommendation).
    MY FSB runs at 260 on my A8N-SLi.
    I had to run my DDR400 memory at DDR333 (5/6) which gave DDR430.
    At what speed/settings did Memtest86 start to fail ?

    Have you installed Asus Probe and/or Speedfan ?
    Have you installed Prime95 ?
    How does your Core temperature behave under load ?

    Start adjusting the voltage when you know a lot more about your
    system.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly