    85C GPU temp just sitting idle.

    Just wondering if this is normal, Or should I be concerned.

    Cat 9.2 drivers installed.

    -Charlie, Mar 5, 2009

  2. -Charlie

    me/2 Guest

    On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 09:04:05 -0800, "William" <>
    wrote:

    :>
    :>"-Charlie" <> wrote in message
    :>news:...
    :>>
    :>> I just installed a new Powercolor 4870x2 card and the temps seem a
    :>> bit extreme. GPU-Z and ATI Overdrive both show a pretty consistent
    :>> 85C GPU temp just sitting idle.
    :>>
    :>> Just wondering if this is normal, Or should I be concerned.
    :>>
    :>> Cat 9.2 drivers installed.
    :>
    :>Inside of Cat 9.2, go to the ATI Overdrive tab, click on the 'lock' to
    :>un-lock the panel. Check the 'Enable Manual Fan Control', set to 33 to 80%
    :>and see if that gives you the lower temperature and acceptable noise you
    :>need.
    :>
    :>William
    :>

    I've got a pair of Sapphire 1GB 4870 cards in mine. In unlocked CCC I
    manually set the top card to 45% and the bottom card to 35% fan speed.
    Top card runs hotter being close to the CPU and heat rising from the
    bottom card. This keeps both cards idling at around 40C and under load
    they both get to a max of 65C in games that support XFire and use both
    cards. This shows that even with the manual setting for idle speed the
    fans still ramp up their speed as the load increases and the cards
    heat up.

    me/2

    me/2, Mar 7, 2009