    Gig P4s at price grabber, but there was s 2.5GHz in a 478 package.

    Thanks,

    John

    Johns.junk, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Johns.junk

    Guest

    Johns.junk wrote:
    > Hi, I want to add a little more power to my old Fire Dragon

    mainboard.
    > I'm not looking to build a totally new machine for a few months, but
    > just need some extra power to get me through half life 2.
    >
    > Anyway, does anyone know how large a hard drive I can add to the high
    > point IDE controller? I've got a painfully full 100 Gig drive right
    > now. Will a 200 Gig drive work? 250?
    >
    > Also, can the board accept a 2.5GHz P4? I didn't find a source of

    2.4
    > Gig P4s at price grabber, but there was s 2.5GHz in a 478 package.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    John,

    Your Fire Dragon is a great board. I had one when they first came out.
    But finding a new cpu for this board is getting to be harder to do each
    day that passes. You Fire Dragon will only accept a 400Mhz P-4 places
    like NewEgg don't even carry them anymore. But if you go to
    PriceWatch.com you will still find them, I just looked and they had
    listings for 2.6Ghz 400Mhz processors, but I don't recomend buying from
    the first company listed (tigerdirect). This site lists the products
    and where you can get them at. If your looking locally just remember
    the socket 478 cpu's come in 400Mhz, 533Mhz, and 800Mhz but the Fire
    Dragon supports only the 400Mhz models.

    On your hard drive question, if your using BIOS 2ba2 or 2ba3 you have
    support for hard drives larger then 137gb on all your IDE connections.
    If you need to update the bios you will also need to update the
    Highpoint driver as well.

    , Feb 12, 2005

  3. Johns.junk

    Johns.junk Guest

    > day that passes. You Fire Dragon will only accept a 400Mhz P-4 places
    > like NewEgg don't even carry them anymore. But if you go to
    > PriceWatch.com you will still find them, I just looked and they had
    > listings for 2.6Ghz 400Mhz processors, but I don't recomend buying

    from

    Can the Fire Dragon set a clock ratio of 26x? I know it can do 24x,
    and I see those listed at pricewatch. But, I can't find anything that
    says the 4PI has anything greater than a 24x ratio setting. Was there
    an update in a later bios?

    > On your hard drive question, if your using BIOS 2ba2 or 2ba3 you have
    > support for hard drives larger then 137gb on all your IDE

    connections.
    > If you need to update the bios you will also need to update the
    > Highpoint driver as well.

    I have those, but what is the limit? Can I add a 250Gig drive?

    Thanks again,

    John

    Johns.junk, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Johns.junk

    Guest

    Well after doing some digging I couldn't find anything that shows
    support on the Fire Dragon greater the 2Ghz. The manual says it
    supports any 400Mhz cpu but then again its older then the last of the
    400Mhz cpu's. If your sure it will support the 2.4 you can find those
    listed on Pricewatch.

    As to your hard drive, if your running WinXP with Service Pack 2 you
    should have 48-bit hard drive support and should have no problems. But
    also remember your motherboard will hold 4 IDE drives on IDE 1 & 2, it
    will also run 4 hard drives on IDE 3 & 4 on the highpoint controller as
    well. So you really don't need a drive that size, unless you want one
    or have already bought it. Just also remember the larger the hard drive
    capacity the longer the seek time on reading the drive. Let alone the
    longer formatting time.

    , Feb 14, 2005
  5. Johns.junk

    BigSky Guest

    I'm not having much luck installing a Hitachi 160 GB hard drive on my Fire
    Dragon. I do have WinXP Service Pack 2. It will only see 137GB of the
    drive. Using Ontrack Disk Manager that came with the drive didn't help. It
    only saw 137GB as well. I tried to update my bios but it said my bios is
    "write protected" and that I needed to turn this off to install the bios. I
    can't find any reference in my Soyo documentation concerning turning off
    bios write protection. PLEASE HELP!

    Thanks.

    BigSky

    BigSky, Apr 4, 2005
  6. Johns.junk

    K Guest

    Same MB with 200GB drive. I had the same problem. The fix was to install the
    updated High Point controller driver v.2.3.2 from Soyo's download page.

    K, Apr 6, 2005
  7. Johns.junk

    Big Sky Guest

    That's interesting because other posts I've read say you need to have the
    latest version of the bios before installing the updated High Point Driver.

    "K" <NEWS.Usenet-Access.com> wrote in message news:42532897$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Same MB with 200GB drive. I had the same problem. The fix was to install

    the
    > updated High Point controller driver v.2.3.2 from Soyo's download page.
    >
    > "BigSky" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm not having much luck installing a Hitachi 160 GB hard drive on my

    Fire
    > > Dragon. I do have WinXP Service Pack 2. It will only see 137GB of the
    > > drive. Using Ontrack Disk Manager that came with the drive didn't help.
    > > It only saw 137GB as well. I tried to update my bios but it said my

    bios
    > > is "write protected" and that I needed to turn this off to install the
    > > bios. I can't find any reference in my Soyo documentation concerning
    > > turning off bios write protection. PLEASE HELP!
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > BigSky

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

    Big Sky, Apr 6, 2005
  8. Johns.junk

    K Guest

    Instead of relying on "other posts you have read", go to the Soyo web site
    for the correct information. I told you what worked for me. Take it or leave
    it.

    K, Apr 8, 2005
  9. Johns.junk

    Big Sky Guest

    Listen "K"niption,

    When I said "That's interesting...", I meant it from a purely from the
    perspective of a person who loves computers and is amazed at all the nuances
    that seem to exist. There wasn't an ounce of smart ass or malice in my
    comment back to you. Assuming you had also explored multiple paths like me,
    I was only hoping to delve deeper into the issue of driver vs BIOS updates.
    Had I known I was talking to Oracle of Delphi ("Take it or leave it"), I
    would've just answered with "Thank you." My mistake. I apologize.

    A faceless Internet is not an excuse for a lack of courtesy.

    Regards.

    "K" <NEWS.Usenet-Access.com> wrote in message news:42560a6a$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > Instead of relying on "other posts you have read", go to the Soyo web site
    > for the correct information. I told you what worked for me. Take it or

    leave
    > it.
    >
    > "Big Sky" <> wrote in message
    > > That's interesting because other posts I've read say you need to have

    the
    > > latest version of the bios before installing the updated High Point
    > > Driver.

    > > "K" <NEWS.Usenet-Access.com> wrote in message
    > >> Same MB with 200GB drive. I had the same problem. The fix was to

    install
    > > the
    > >> updated High Point controller driver v.2.3.2 from Soyo's download page.

    > > Fire

    the

    > > bios

    the

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

    Big Sky, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Johns.junk

    K Guest

    You misunderstand. I referred you to the manufactures web site, not because
    I'm right or wrong, but so you could fine the correct information.

    K, Apr 12, 2005