    even though Windows saw the second HD, but still no second
    CD-ROM since swapping it for a slower one then swapping back.

    Den

    Den, Apr 11, 2004

  2. Den

    Kylesb Guest

    I presume you have all drive settings on "auto" in CMOS?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Den

    Den Guest

    "Kylesb" <> wrote in message news:c5ah71$2q45ov$-berlin.de...
    > I presume you have all drive settings on "auto" in CMOS?

    Yes all set to auto.

    Den

    Den, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Den

    Den Guest

    "Den" <-But-Was-Limited.RIP> wrote in message news:c5bjkj$r79$...

    > "Kylesb" <> wrote in message news:c5ah71$2q45ov$-berlin.de...
    > > I presume you have all drive settings on "auto" in CMOS?
    > >

    > Yes all set to auto.

    I can get the second slave CD seen if I disconnect Master CD
    so I am wondering after trying various settings (including HD disconnections)
    that it might be a power supply issue, an AT one but no marking of who made
    it or power rating.

    AT power supply (unknown make)
    HD master Maxtor 92041U4 20GB
    HD slave Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB
    Sony CD CDU5211 (set as master)

    Now disconnected
    Philips CDRW 1600 (works fine if set as a single master)
    but can switch this to the 2013-PA to try it.

    Den

    Den, Apr 12, 2004
  5. Den

    Kylesb Guest

    Most burners like being the "master" on their IDE channel, try setting
    the cd drive to slave and the cdr/w to master.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "Den" <-But-Was-Limited.RIP> wrote
    in message news:c5dbnq$saq$...

    Kylesb, Apr 12, 2004
  6. Den

    Den Guest

    "Kylesb" <> wrote in message news:c5e9lv$lp08$-berlin.de...
    > Most burners like being the "master" on their IDE channel, try setting
    > the cd drive to slave and the cdr/w to master.

    This is the way I do set them up, I could perhaps try reversing this
    so that the CD-RW becames the slave.

    The two CD's were being seen by BIOS & W98 but this was before
    adding the second HD, this why I am wondering whether the power
    supply might be the problem. No HD controller card being used.

    PS
    I will repeat;
    "This is the way I do set them up, I could perhaps try reversing this
    so that the CD-RW becames the slave"
    DOH!
    All the time of swapping and testing, I now have the following
    showing in both BIOS & W98SE.
    HD master Maxtor 92041U4 20GB
    HD slave Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB
    Sony CD CDU5211 (set as master)
    Philips CDRW 1610A (set as slave)

    So thanks Kyle, it was reading and re-reading the posts in case
    I had missed something then trying the reverse order way. :))

    Den

    Den, Apr 12, 2004