503+ with lotsa network cards

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Carbon, Apr 25, 2007.

  1. Carbon

    Carbon Guest

    I have a 503+ running the linux ipcop firewall distribution. In
    ipcop-speak it's a RED-GREEN-BLUE firewall, where red=outside interface,
    green=wired lan, blue=wireless lan.

    Currently the network layout is:
    RED: eth2: ne compatible ISA network card.
    BLUE: eth1: natsemi compatible PCI network card.
    GREEN: eth0: 8139too compatible PCI network card.

    I just got a static IP and I'd like to change my ipcop box to a
    RED-GREEN-BLUE-ORANGE firewall, where orange=DMZ, a demilitarized zone
    where I can stick a server that will be isolated from the rest of the
    network.

    I dug out a 3com 905c (3c59x driver) PCI card and installed it in the box.
    When I powered it up the only card that worked was the green internal
    interface. The interfaces were still there but the cards were not
    initializing.

    This seems to me to be some kind of hardware bug. Is it possible to get
    this many cards network cards working on a 503+? Appreciate any advice.

    Carbon, Apr 25, 2007

  2. Carbon

    Carbon Guest

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 04:42:44 +0000, Carbon wrote:

    > I have a 503+ running the linux ipcop firewall distribution. In
    > ipcop-speak it's a RED-GREEN-BLUE firewall, where red=outside interface,
    > green=wired lan, blue=wireless lan.
    >
    > Currently the network layout is:
    > RED: eth2: ne compatible ISA network card.
    > BLUE: eth1: natsemi compatible PCI network card.
    > GREEN: eth0: 8139too compatible PCI network card.
    >
    > I just got a static IP and I'd like to change my ipcop box to a
    > RED-GREEN-BLUE-ORANGE firewall, where orange=DMZ, a demilitarized zone
    > where I can stick a server that will be isolated from the rest of the
    > network.
    >
    > I dug out a 3com 905c (3c59x driver) PCI card and installed it in the
    > box. When I powered it up the only card that worked was the green
    > internal interface. The interfaces were still there but the cards were
    > not initializing.
    >
    > This seems to me to be some kind of hardware bug. Is it possible to get
    > this many cards network cards working on a 503+? Appreciate any advice.

    Ah well. Back in the day this was a valuable resource for 503+ owners.

    I got it fixed after all. I played with the bios settings until all the
    PCI cards came up, then reserved IRQ 10 (used by the ISA network card) for
    Legacy/ISA.

    These old otherwise unused 503+ boxes make great firewalls.

    Carbon, May 2, 2007

  3. Carbon

    Nathan Bean Guest

    Carbon wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 04:42:44 +0000, Carbon wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 503+ running the linux ipcop firewall distribution. In
    >> ipcop-speak it's a RED-GREEN-BLUE firewall, where red=outside interface,
    >> green=wired lan, blue=wireless lan.
    >>
    >> Currently the network layout is:
    >> RED: eth2: ne compatible ISA network card.
    >> BLUE: eth1: natsemi compatible PCI network card.
    >> GREEN: eth0: 8139too compatible PCI network card.
    >>
    >> I just got a static IP and I'd like to change my ipcop box to a
    >> RED-GREEN-BLUE-ORANGE firewall, where orange=DMZ, a demilitarized zone
    >> where I can stick a server that will be isolated from the rest of the
    >> network.
    >>
    >> I dug out a 3com 905c (3c59x driver) PCI card and installed it in the
    >> box. When I powered it up the only card that worked was the green
    >> internal interface. The interfaces were still there but the cards were
    >> not initializing.
    >>
    >> This seems to me to be some kind of hardware bug. Is it possible to get
    >> this many cards network cards working on a 503+? Appreciate any advice.

    > Ah well. Back in the day this was a valuable resource for 503+ owners.
    >
    > I got it fixed after all. I played with the bios settings until all the
    > PCI cards came up, then reserved IRQ 10 (used by the ISA network card) for
    > Legacy/ISA.
    >
    > These old otherwise unused 503+ boxes make great firewalls.

    yes this sed to be quite a nice resource for 503+... sadly most owners
    seem not to be as resourceful as you are...
    glad to see those MB's put to good use...

    --
    .... "If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?" ~Lily Tomlin

    Nathan Bean, May 23, 2007