510 XL Shuts itself off

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by See signature below, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. Hi all

    My computer has started to shut itself off. It seems to do it mostly
    when cold. All I know, when it does, I have to physically unplug the
    120V to get it back on. The power switch does not work till after I
    unplug it for for a few seconds. I do have a hard time believing it
    is the power switch on this issue since you have to remove the 120v to
    make it start again.

    It can not be a operating system issue since I have it stopped at the
    BIOS password screen, and it still shut it self off. I have tried
    reseating the memory, processor and cards as well as the power supply
    connectors. All the fans seem to be running too.

    Anyway what is your best guess, motherboard or power supply??

    I think this is the link to the power supply.
    http://support.gateway.com/s//POWER/6500843/6500843nv.shtml
    and the motherboard is
    http://support.gateway.com/s//MOTHERBD/Intel2/2521363/2521363nv.shtml

    Will a off the shelf power supply work in these Gateways? I never had
    a PS issue before, but I know back many years ago, they were
    propritary to the manufacturers.

    Thanks!

    --

    You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net

    See signature below, Mar 9, 2007