5EH5 not working... most times

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by anpap@my-deja.com, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I had a PC with a Soyo 5EH5 v1.3 motherboard. At some point the OS
    started hanging
    all the time. Re-installation also hanged at some point, so I thought
    it was a hardware problem.
    I replaced everything on that PC (including the AMD K6-2 processor),
    but the problem wasn't solved. I even got another (used) 5EH5
    motherboard from ebay, but that didn't solve the problem either. I took
    everything out of the computer case and tried them on the bench.
    Sometimes, I get 5-6 beeps, sometimes 3, sometimes 2, sometimes none.
    There are times that the BIOS loads and starts detecting the hard
    drives. Basically, the motherboard behaves differently every time
    I turn it on.

    Any idea of what could be wrong? I've heard about problems with
    motherboards that are
    caused by leaking capacitors. The electrolytic capacitors near the
    processor don't seem to be leaking, although their tops are not
    completely... flat as they should be...

    Any help will be appreciated!

    cheers,
    Andreas

    1. Advertising

  2. uddarts

    uddarts Guest

    "" wrote
    > I had a PC with a Soyo 5EH5 v1.3 motherboard. At some point
    > the OS
    > started hanging
    > all the time. Re-installation also hanged at some point, so I
    > thought
    > it was a hardware problem.
    > I replaced everything on that PC (including the AMD K6-2
    > processor),
    > but the problem wasn't solved. I even got another (used) 5EH5
    > motherboard from ebay, but that didn't solve the problem
    > either. I took
    > everything out of the computer case and tried them on the
    > bench.
    > Sometimes, I get 5-6 beeps, sometimes 3, sometimes 2,
    > sometimes none.
    > There are times that the BIOS loads and starts detecting the
    > hard
    > drives. Basically, the motherboard behaves differently every
    > time
    > I turn it on.
    >
    > Any idea of what could be wrong? I've heard about problems
    > with
    > motherboards that are
    > caused by leaking capacitors. The electrolytic capacitors near
    > the
    > processor don't seem to be leaking, although their tops are
    > not
    > completely... flat as they should be...
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated!
    >
    > cheers,
    > Andrea

    have you tried a different psu?

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/5EH5-working-times-ftopict67426.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=337492

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Yes, the problem persists even with a different power supply.

    I desoldered the capacitors near the processor. Almost all of them
    were leaking from the bottom! It seems that this was the cause of the
    problem.
    Now I'll have to find a suitable replacement. Anyone knows where I can
    get
    electrolytic caps 1500uf, 6.3V, up to 105 degrees C and with diameter
    no larger
    than 8mm? I checked a couple of online vendors but the ones they have
    in stock
    are larger than 8mm and won't fit the motherboard...

    Andreas

  4. AndyC

    AndyC Guest

    wrote:
    > Yes, the problem persists even with a different power supply.
    >
    > I desoldered the capacitors near the processor. Almost all of them
    > were leaking from the bottom! It seems that this was the cause of the
    > problem.
    > Now I'll have to find a suitable replacement. Anyone knows where I can
    > get
    > electrolytic caps 1500uf, 6.3V, up to 105 degrees C and with diameter
    > no larger
    > than 8mm? I checked a couple of online vendors but the ones they have
    > in stock
    > are larger than 8mm and won't fit the motherboard...
    >
    > Andreas

    Try Digi-Key Electronics: 1-800-344-4539. The Panasonic FC or NHG
    series should have what you need in terms of cap size/values.

    Andy

  5. uddarts

    uddarts Guest

    Re: Re: 5EH5 not working... most times

    "" wrote
    > Yes, the problem persists even with a different power supply.
    >
    > I desoldered the capacitors near the processor. Almost all of
    > them
    > were leaking from the bottom! It seems that this was the cause
    > of the
    > problem.
    > Now I'll have to find a suitable replacement. Anyone knows
    > where I can
    > get
    > electrolytic caps 1500uf, 6.3V, up to 105 degrees C and with
    > diameter
    > no larger
    > than 8mm? I checked a couple of online vendors but the ones
    > they have
    > in stock
    > are larger than 8mm and won't fit the motherboard...
    >
    > Andrea

    go here, register and post a thread to davidgl. he does a lot of that
    on the ecs k7s5a’s and i’m almost sure he can tell you what will work.

    http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/forum/35.html

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/5EH5-working-times-ftopict67426.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=337800

  6. Guest

    Thanks for your help guys!
    Suprisingly enough, I found the 8mm capacitors I needed in a local
    store!
    I have replaced them and the motherboard is working fine ... so far :)

    cheers,

    Andreas