    Price is not too critical. Am I better off with the FX or a dual Opteron?

    Any help where I can find real 64-bit info would be helpful.
    Thanks

    goblin, Jan 8, 2004

  2. goblin

    Student Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:33:52 -0600, goblin <> wrote:

    >I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will go
    >with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit CPUs
    >and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
    >
    >Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?
    >
    >Price is not too critical. Am I better off with the FX or a dual Opteron?
    >
    >Any help where I can find real 64-bit info would be helpful.
    >Thanks

    This may answer some of your questions...
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8366_5733~19907,00.html#19908

    Student, Jan 8, 2004

  3. goblin

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:33:52 -0600, goblin wrote:

    > I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will go
    > with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit CPUs
    > and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?

    You can download and run 64bit Linux and apps now.

    > Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?

    Not in the MS world.

    > Price is not too critical. Am I better off with the FX or a dual
    > Opteron?

    I don't know where MS stands on smp, but linux supports it now.

    > Any help where I can find real 64-bit info would be helpful. Thanks

    http://www.x86-64.org/

    search x86_64.

    Wes Newell, Jan 9, 2004
  4. goblin

    stacey Guest

    goblin wrote:

    > I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will go
    > with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit CPUs
    > and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
    >
    > Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?

    Why would you want .NET in any form?
    --

    Stacey

    stacey, Jan 10, 2004
  5. goblin

    goblin Guest

    stacey <> wrote in

    > goblin wrote:
    >
    >> I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will
    >> go with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit
    >> CPUs and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
    >>
    >> Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?
    >>

    > Why would you want .NET in any form?

    Have you messed with it? I've not seen a nicer programming environment
    ever. It is being ported to linux.

    goblin, Feb 12, 2004
  6. "goblin" <> wrote in message
    > stacey <> wrote in
    >
    > > goblin wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will
    > >> go with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit
    > >> CPUs and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
    > >>
    > >> Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?
    > >>

    > > Why would you want .NET in any form?

    > Have you messed with it? I've not seen a nicer programming environment
    > ever. It is being ported to linux.

    I don't think there is a 64 bit version of .Net at this time... however, you
    can get an AMD Opteron and run a 32 bit version of Windows on it now and
    upgrade when the dev environment you want arrives.

    Jared Richardson, Feb 13, 2004
  7. goblin

    goblin Guest

    "Jared Richardson" <> wrote in

    > "goblin" <> wrote in message
    >> stacey <> wrote in

    >> > Why would you want .NET in any form?

    >> Have you messed with it? I've not seen a nicer programming
    >> environment ever. It is being ported to linux.
    >>

    > I don't think there is a 64 bit version of .Net at this time...
    > however, you can get an AMD Opteron and run a 32 bit version of
    > Windows on it now and upgrade when the dev environment you want
    > arrives.

    I know there's a 64bit commandline compiler in VS .NET 2003 but I don't
    think it supports the clr runtime yet. Even when it does, M$ seems to
    imply that all 64bit development should be done in the 32bit
    environment. I'm sure that will change in the future after XP-64 is
    finalized. I also plan to develop on linux64. I'm not someone that
    chooses one over the other. Both are fun and .NET should bring them
    closer together. It's also the most practical way to get C# onto linux.

    I'm waiting for the FX-53 before I empty my bank account <G>

    goblin, Feb 13, 2004