    Thanks
    Mark

    , Jun 5, 2012

  2. On 2012-06-05, <> wrote:
    > I need a M6800 assembler that will run on a Windows 7 operating
    > system. Does anyone know where a Windows 7-compatible assembler for
    > Motorola 6800 CPUs can be found?

    If no one can offer some more recent suggestions I have copies of
    assemblers for various members of the 6800 family at
    http://andrews.freeshell.org/news/20120605.cah/ in both C source
    and DOS executable form.

    Those programs are OLD - in particular, the source is old enough
    to be pre-ANSI C. I have vague memories of compiling it on more
    recent systems and while it's not overly problematic a little
    fettling is required. The biggest problem I recall quickly looking
    at the sources is that there is no makefile or similar showing how
    the sources fit together, so you'll have to figure that out for
    yourself. It was long enough ago that I don't recall any details
    to be of assistance.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw

    Andrew Smallshaw, Jun 5, 2012

  3. Mel Wilson Guest

    wrote:

    > I need a M6800 assembler that will run on a Windows 7 operating
    > system. Does anyone know where a Windows 7-compatible assembler for
    > Motorola 6800 CPUs can be found?

    Back in the day, I used to use the Cross-32 Meta-Assembler for all
    microcontroller programming. It seems to still be available:

    http://www.datasynceng.com/c32doc.htm

    Mel.

    Mel Wilson, Jun 5, 2012
  4. On 2012-06-05, Andrew Smallshaw <> wrote:

    > Those programs are OLD - in particular, the source is old enough
    > to be pre-ANSI C. I have vague memories of compiling it on more
    > recent systems and while it's not overly problematic a little
    > fettling is required. The biggest problem I recall quickly looking
    > at the sources is that there is no makefile or similar showing how
    > the sources fit together, so you'll have to figure that out for
    > yourself. It was long enough ago that I don't recall any details
    > to be of assistance.

    I've just had another look at it and got it working in a few minutes.
    The only thing that needed to be done to build on this NetBSD system
    was convert the filenames to lowercase and strip off the ^Z EOF
    markers - for Windows you shouldn't need to do either. "as0.c" is
    what you need to compile to build the 6800 assembler - it #includes
    everything else.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw

    Andrew Smallshaw, Jun 5, 2012
  5. Anton Erasmus, Jun 5, 2012
  6. dp Guest

    On Jun 5, 8:51 pm, wrote:
    > I need a M6800 assembler that will run on a Windows 7 operating
    > system.  Does anyone know where a Windows 7-compatible assembler for
    > Motorola 6800 CPUs can be found?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    Not an answer to what you are looking for - but may add some fun to
    the thread.
    On our DPS machines MDOS09 can be run in an emulation window - it
    emulates an old system of ours. There one does have the original
    RASM, (well, and RASM09), RLOAD etc.(feel the 70-es... :) :) ).
    A shot I've made some time ago with a few instances of that
    emulation thing: http://tgi-sci.com/misc/sc09em.gif

    Not a very practical offer as the cheapest thing being a DPS machine
    on offer is the netMCA-2: http://tgi-sci.com/tgi/nmcatb.htm ,
    but hopefully will be some fun for some people to see.

    Dimiter

    Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

    http://www.tgi-sci.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

    dp, Jun 5, 2012
  7. Mac Decman Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:44:48 -0700 (PDT), dp <> wrote:

    >On Jun 5, 8:51 pm, wrote:
    >> I need a M6800 assembler that will run on a Windows 7 operating
    >> system.  Does anyone know where a Windows 7-compatible assembler for
    >> Motorola 6800 CPUs can be found?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Mark

    >Not an answer to what you are looking for - but may add some fun to
    >the thread.
    >On our DPS machines MDOS09 can be run in an emulation window - it
    >emulates an old system of ours. There one does have the original
    >RASM, (well, and RASM09), RLOAD etc.(feel the 70-es... :) :) ).
    >A shot I've made some time ago with a few instances of that
    >emulation thing: http://tgi-sci.com/misc/sc09em.gif
    >
    >Not a very practical offer as the cheapest thing being a DPS machine
    >on offer is the netMCA-2: http://tgi-sci.com/tgi/nmcatb.htm ,
    >but hopefully will be some fun for some people to see.
    >
    >Dimiter

    >Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments
    >
    >http://www.tgi-sci.com
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

    Boy I forgot about white on blue terminals. I'll have to go back to
    those. Weren't they standard on Alpha system consoles?

    Mark DeArman

    Mac Decman, Jun 6, 2012
  8. [OT] Alpha consoles, was: Re: 6800 Assembler for Windows 7

    On 2012-06-06, Mac Decman <> wrote:

    > Boy I forgot about white on blue terminals. I'll have to go back to
    > those. Weren't they standard on Alpha system consoles?

    Certainly with Alpha based VMS systems they are.

    The console is a normal VGA style display; it's the system software which
    chooses white text on a blue background when running in text mode.

    Simon.

    Simon Clubley, Jun 6, 2012
  9. dp Guest

    On Jun 6, 11:35 am, Mac Decman <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:44:48 -0700 (PDT), dp <> wrote:
    > >On Jun 5, 8:51 pm, wrote:
    > >> I need a M6800 assembler that will run on a Windows 7 operating
    > >> system. Does anyone know where a Windows 7-compatible assembler for
    > >> Motorola 6800 CPUs can be found?

    > >> Thanks
    > >> Mark

    > >Not an answer to what you are looking for - but may add some fun to
    > >the thread.
    > >On our DPS machines MDOS09 can be run in an emulation window - it
    > >emulates an old system of ours. There one does have the original
    > >RASM, (well, and RASM09), RLOAD etc.(feel the 70-es...  :) :) ).
    > >A shot I've made some time ago with a few instances of that
    > >emulation thing:http://tgi-sci.com/misc/sc09em.gif

    > >Not a very practical offer as the cheapest thing being a DPS machine
    > >on offer is the netMCA-2:http://tgi-sci.com/tgi/nmcatb.htm,
    > >but hopefully will be some fun for some people to see.

    > >Dimiter

    > >------------------------------------------------------
    > >Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

    > >http://www.tgi-sci.com
    > >------------------------------------------------------
    > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

    > Boy I forgot about white on blue terminals.  I'll have to go back to
    > those.  Weren't they standard on Alpha system consoles?
    >
    > Mark DeArman

    I think I "reinvented" these colours somewhere around 1989, on the
    text/graphics terminal of the system which is emulated (it actually
    does look the way it did, although back then it would do up
    to 640x408 pixels (408, right, not 480 :) ).
    I may well have been influenced by DEC though, I had seen (never
    really used) a VAX of theirs which had these colours just a few
    months before I set the colours I'd use on that machine...
    I have clearly liked them, my DPS shell windows come in
    these colours as well even now (they were mono up until 2000).

    So I'd be glad if you "go back to those", always nice
    to have some company :).

    dp, Jun 6, 2012
  10. asa386 Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 10:51:33 -0700, morsemh wrote:

    > I need a M6800 assembler that will run on a Windows 7 operating system.
    > Does anyone know where a Windows 7-compatible assembler for Motorola
    > 6800 CPUs can be found?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    I wrote a 6800 assembler some years back (with tasm syntax). if you have
    a windows compiler I can email you the source code. it will compile just
    the same under Windows as it would under Linux =- all commandline driven

    Sam

    asa386, Jun 7, 2012
  11. RCIngham Guest

    >On Jun 6, 11:35=A0am, Mac Decman <> wrote:

    >> >Not an answer to what you are looking for - but may add some fun to
    >> >the thread.
    >> >On our DPS machines MDOS09 can be run in an emulation window - it
    >> >emulates an old system of ours. There one does have the original
    >> >RASM, (well, and RASM09), RLOAD etc.(feel the 70-es... =A0:) :) ).
    >> >A shot I've made some time ago with a few instances of that
    >> >emulation thing:http://tgi-sci.com/misc/sc09em.gif

    >> >Not a very practical offer as the cheapest thing being a DPS machine
    >> >on offer is the netMCA-2:http://tgi-sci.com/tgi/nmcatb.htm,
    >> >but hopefully will be some fun for some people to see.

    >> >Dimiter

    >> >------------------------------------------------------
    >> >Dimiter Popoff =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Transgalactic Instruments

    >> >http://www.tgi-sci.com
    >> >------------------------------------------------------
    >> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

    >> Boy I forgot about white on blue terminals. =A0I'll have to go back to
    >> those. =A0Weren't they standard on Alpha system consoles?
    >>
    >> Mark DeArman

    >I think I "reinvented" these colours somewhere around 1989, on the
    >text/graphics terminal of the system which is emulated (it actually
    >does look the way it did, although back then it would do up
    >to 640x408 pixels (408, right, not 480 :) ).
    >I may well have been influenced by DEC though, I had seen (never
    >really used) a VAX of theirs which had these colours just a few
    >months before I set the colours I'd use on that machine...
    >I have clearly liked them, my DPS shell windows come in
    >these colours as well even now (they were mono up until 2000).
    >
    >So I'd be glad if you "go back to those", always nice
    >to have some company :).
    >
    >Dimiter

    >Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments
    >
    >http://www.tgi-sci.com
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

    White-on-blue is nice, but yellow-on-black is more 1980s.

    ---------------------------------------

    RCIngham, Jun 13, 2012
  12. Guest

    On Tuesday, 5 June 2012 19:39:23 UTC+1, Mel Wilson wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I need a M6800 assembler that will run on a Windows 7 operating
    > > system. Does anyone know where a Windows 7-compatible assembler for
    > > Motorola 6800 CPUs can be found?

    > Back in the day, I used to use the Cross-32 Meta-Assembler for all
    > microcontroller programming. It seems to still be available:
    >
    > http://www.datasynceng.com/c32doc.htm

    I retested this on a Win7-64 box yesterday and it works. See also
    http://www.mpeforth.com/cross32.htm

    Stephen

    > Mel.

    , Jun 13, 2012
  13. dp Guest

    On Jun 13, 5:47 pm, "RCIngham" <robert.ingham@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > >> Boy I forgot about white on blue terminals. =A0I'll have to go back to
    > >> those. =A0Weren't they standard on Alpha system consoles?

    > >> Mark DeArman

    > >I think I "reinvented" these colours somewhere around 1989, on the
    > >text/graphics terminal of the system which is emulated (it actually
    > >does look the way it did, although back then it would do up
    > >to 640x408 pixels (408, right, not 480 :) ).
    > >I may well have been influenced by DEC though, I had seen (never
    > >really used) a VAX of theirs which had these colours just a few
    > >months before I set the colours I'd use on that machine...
    > >I have clearly liked them, my DPS shell windows come in
    > >these colours as well even now (they were mono up until 2000).

    > >So I'd be glad if you "go back to those", always nice
    > >to have some company :).

    > >Dimiter

    > >------------------------------------------------------
    > >Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

    > >http://www.tgi-sci.com
    > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

    > White-on-blue is nice, but yellow-on-black is more 1980s.

    Indeed - and on that screenshot the windows in which the yellow on
    black texts are are among those which emulate the mentioned machine
    from the 80-s :). That graphics editor was the main reason why
    I did the emulation in the first place, I had loads of PCBs etc.
    in that format (all I have done since the 80-s when I wrote the
    editor itself).

    dp, Jun 13, 2012