6800 GT Screen blanking problem please help!

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by JTWadsworth, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth Guest

    Running a 6800GT at normal specs in an Alienware ALX machine
    (Alienware is no help, please don't buy from them like I did)

    Resolution is 1600x1200 (native monitor resolution). Whenever I am in
    32bit color mode, and in internet explorer (or firefox) and I am
    browsing differeint website, the screen will often blank to black then
    come back 1 second later. It is extraordinarily annoying. Sometimes
    it blanks faster and is unusuable. Note that the power is not
    shutting down the monitor..this is a graphics card issue. When I set
    to 16bit color mode, it happens only very rarely.

    Please help! Is this just a bum card? I have used the latest Nvidia
    drivers and a rollback to the previous latest drivers.

    Someone help please? I'm at the end of my rope after dealing with
    this problem for over 4 months with Alienware ( feel free to flame me,
    I deserve it from buying from them..lesson learned)

    JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth, Apr 22, 2005

  2. JTWadsworth

    rms Guest

    I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
    detected in device manager.

    rms

    rms, Apr 22, 2005

  3. JTWadsworth

    Nikonja Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:22:02 GMT, rms wrote:

    > I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
    > detected in device manager.
    >
    > rms

    I had similar problem with my 6600gt extreme and i solved by dowclocking it
    from 550/1120 ti 500/1000, and since then no problems for me !

    Nikonja, Apr 22, 2005
  4. JTWadsworth

    Kill Bill Guest

    Kill Bill, Apr 23, 2005
  5. JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:13:37 +0200, Nikonja <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:22:02 GMT, rms wrote:
    >
    >> I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
    >> detected in device manager.
    >>
    >> rms

    >I had similar problem with my 6600gt extreme and i solved by dowclocking it
    >from 550/1120 ti 500/1000, and since then no problems for me !

    Thanks for the response. I am not currently overclocking the card
    though. It does it whether or not it is overclocked.

    JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth, Apr 23, 2005
  6. JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:25:31 GMT, "Kill Bill" <> wrote:

    >"rms" <> wrote in message
    >>I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
    >>detected in device manager.
    >>
    >> rms
    >>

    >http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117062&page=1

    Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
    works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about 5
    months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even shipping
    the machine back to them) to get it fixed.

    jtw
    JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth, Apr 23, 2005
  7. JTWadsworth

    Kill Bill Guest

    "JTWadsworth" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:25:31 GMT, "Kill Bill" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"rms" <> wrote in message
    >>>I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
    >>>detected in device manager.
    >>>
    >>> rms
    >>>

    >>http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117062&page=1
    >>

    > Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
    > works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about 5
    > months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even shipping
    > the machine back to them) to get it fixed.
    >
    > jtw
    > JTWadsworth

    Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down on the
    instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely but a lot
    better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting any video files,
    something about the drivers looking for a TV-output, the screen would blank
    out as if I was enabling or disabling the TV-out. Just from deleting a big
    mpeg.

    Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in the
    system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell. Anyway,
    good luck.

    Kill Bill, Apr 23, 2005
  8. JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:41:46 GMT, "Kill Bill" <> wrote:

    >"JTWadsworth" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:25:31 GMT, "Kill Bill" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"rms" <> wrote in message

    >>>http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117062&page=1
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
    >> works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about 5
    >> months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even shipping
    >> the machine back to them) to get it fixed.
    >>
    >> jtw
    >> JTWadsworth
    >>

    >Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down on the
    >instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely but a lot
    >better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting any video files,
    >something about the drivers looking for a TV-output, the screen would blank
    >out as if I was enabling or disabling the TV-out. Just from deleting a big
    >mpeg.
    >
    >Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in the
    >system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell. Anyway,
    >good luck.

    Well I tried the registry deletions and I still get the screen
    blanking on some websites at 32bit mode. It is amazingly annoying.
    It does not do it on those websites at 16 bit mode. My monitor is
    correctly detected and has the correct drivers installed (Dell 2001FP)

    I hate that I have a higher end videocard but have to run in 16bit
    color mode to stay sane. Anyone have another idea?

    jtw
    JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth, Apr 24, 2005
  9. JTWadsworth

    Elclaudio Guest

    JTWadsworth <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:41:46 GMT, "Kill Bill" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"JTWadsworth" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
    >>> works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about
    >>> 5 months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even
    >>> shipping the machine back to them) to get it fixed.
    >>>
    >>> jtw
    >>> JTWadsworth
    >>>

    >>Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down
    >>on the instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely
    >>but a lot better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting
    >>any video files, something about the drivers looking for a TV-output,
    >>the screen would blank out as if I was enabling or disabling the
    >>TV-out. Just from deleting a big mpeg.
    >>
    >>Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in
    >>the system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell.
    >> Anyway, good luck.
    >>

    > Well I tried the registry deletions and I still get the screen
    > blanking on some websites at 32bit mode. It is amazingly annoying.
    > It does not do it on those websites at 16 bit mode. My monitor is
    > correctly detected and has the correct drivers installed (Dell 2001FP)
    >
    > I hate that I have a higher end videocard but have to run in 16bit
    > color mode to stay sane. Anyone have another idea?
    >
    > jtw
    > JTWadsworth

    Hi

    Are you connected through a DVI connector ?
    If so, I wonder if you can reduce the DVI frequency of you're graphic
    board, or you may try a new DVI cable (a dual link one, reserved to the
    high resolution display like you)

    regards,
    Elclaudio.

    Elclaudio, Apr 25, 2005
  10. JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth Guest

    On 25 Apr 2005 17:14:58 GMT, Elclaudio <> wrote:

    >JTWadsworth <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:41:46 GMT, "Kill Bill" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"JTWadsworth" <> wrote in message

    >>>Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down
    >>>on the instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely
    >>>but a lot better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting
    >>>any video files, something about the drivers looking for a TV-output,
    >>>the screen would blank out as if I was enabling or disabling the
    >>>TV-out. Just from deleting a big mpeg.
    >>>
    >>>Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in
    >>>the system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell.
    >>> Anyway, good luck.
    >>>

    >> Well I tried the registry deletions and I still get the screen
    >> blanking on some websites at 32bit mode. It is amazingly annoying.
    >> It does not do it on those websites at 16 bit mode. My monitor is
    >> correctly detected and has the correct drivers installed (Dell 2001FP)
    >>
    >> I hate that I have a higher end videocard but have to run in 16bit
    >> color mode to stay sane. Anyone have another idea?
    >>
    >> jtw
    >> JTWadsworth
    >>

    >Hi
    >
    >Are you connected through a DVI connector ?
    >If so, I wonder if you can reduce the DVI frequency of you're graphic
    >board, or you may try a new DVI cable (a dual link one, reserved to the
    >high resolution display like you)
    >
    >regards,
    >Elclaudio.

    I am using the DVI connector. Please explain what you mean ? The DVI
    frequency? Same as refresh rate? its fixed at 60hz which is the
    monitor's default at 1600x1200.

    Dual link?

    jtw
    JTWadsworth

    JTWadsworth, Apr 27, 2005
  11. JTWadsworth

    Dan Guest

    Dual link cables transfer data to the monitor faster. I have a 3' dual
    link cable I'm looking to sell on ebay. Currently it's not listed
    because last time I listed it there were no buyers, but if you're
    interested I'll re-list it.

    Dan, Apr 29, 2005
  12. JTWadsworth

    Dan Guest

    (You probably do need a dual link cable for the high resolution & color
    depth that you're using.)

    Dan, Apr 29, 2005
  13. Would that work on an ordinary 6800 GT?

    Sharanga Dayananda, May 3, 2005
  14. JTWadsworth

    Dan Guest

    I believe so.. This is part of the cards description: "The GeForce
    6800 GT GPU is built on an AGP 8x board and includes 256MB of GDDR3
    memory for use in the most demanding graphics applications. It is the
    first card available to support the DVI standard dual link digital
    signal specification from the two DVI ports it features. This
    capability is required to drive the new 30-inch LCD, high resolution
    Apple Cinema HD display."

    Dan, May 3, 2005
  15. Are you sure that's not for the Apple 6800 GT?

    AFAIK, 'tis only the nVidia Quadros which support Dual Link and the Apple
    6800 series. Bog standard 6800s don't support dual link. They just have 2
    single link DVI ports. A dual link DVI port is not the same as a dual link
    port.

    Sharanga Dayananda, May 3, 2005
  16. JTWadsworth

    Dan Guest

    I'd assume that IS for the Apple version as the description (and most
    of the other descriptions that I found) mention Apple stuff. I didn't
    know if they made the card for both comps and/or which one you were
    talking about though.

    Dan, May 3, 2005