7NJL1 northbridge fan noise

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by rat, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. rat

    rat Guest

    The fan on the Northbridge has recently started making a vibrating rattle.
    (As an aside I first thought it was the cpu fan so I replaced that and have
    now reduced the temp by 12 deg C - but the noise continued...)
    I have tried moving it about for a better fit, swapping the screws around,
    tightening and then loosening the screws in differing order and so on
    without much noticeable effect...except when I removed the golden cover. Now
    it just makes a noise at the start up and then reduces to a still audible
    and annoying hum...
    Do these fans go faulty in this way? Is it likely to be the fan?
    I have noticed that the actual heatsink the fan sits on top of appears to be
    a very loose fit but I cannot figure out how to tighten it...the two
    fasteners seem to have springs wrapped around them and any amount of turning
    and/or pushing does not have any effect. It could be that it's the heatsink
    that's vibrating against either the board or the fan.
    Any ideas or help please anyone?
    Cheers
    Andy