7NJL6 and SATA HD problem

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by Bydesignprez, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Bydesignprez

    Bydesignprez

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I have not seen an answer to this question and the manual cannot be downloded on this motherboard from Chaintech. why???

    I purchased a large 300GB SATA drive. I removed my original 30 mb master drive (IDE) and substituted the new 300GB monster. The 60G slave HD was left where it was connected to IDE plug#2 as I wanted to still use it as an extra storage device. I wanted to install Win 2000 freshly to clean things up but no matter what I did in BIOS (including loading defaults) the new system refused to recognize the CD ROM or DVD drive.

    I eventually disconnected everything from IDE plug#1, connected the SATA wire to SATA socket#1 on the MB and it recognized the CDROM/DVD right away. WIn 2000 is installing as I write.

    Problem is that it leaves me unable to access all the data on the old 60G IDE drive. Using the SATA plug on the motherboard, it seems as soon as I connect anything to the IDE1, it disables access to the IDE2.

    What's the solution? I cannot daisychain more devices to the IDE2, so I'm stuck.

    Suggestions/fixes?

    Thanks in advance

    1. Advertising

  2. camphill

    camphill

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I don't have an answer to your question as I am headed in that same direction as I type. My problem is that I can boot to the Windows CD, have the install CD copy all files, then upon reboot the SATA drive isn't recognized and gives a "Read Error".

    Where you able to successfully install to and boot from the SATA drive?

    Thanks