7NJL6 - which OS?

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by nthums1, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. nthums1

    nthums1 Guest

    Although I've had quirks, probably mostly Mr.Bill, I had what seemed
    pretty darned good system, except not getting USB2 to function at hig
    speed. This was under SE. Alas it went south before I got a recover
    setup and my main partition got really scrambled. Reaso
    undetermined
    I set up a new drive with ME and again most of my troubles see
    attributable to you know who. And again USB2 lacking its appropriat
    speed
    Has anyone had success with 98SE or ME? Was it a clean install or MOB
    change (which mine was)
    I contacted Chaintech concerning USB2 and was told to reset the CMOS
    start up in BIOS and choose optimal defaults
    I hadn't installed a floppy and that was the first thing it looked fo
    and locked. Restart and it installed a second grouping for the ID
    controller
    I went to safe mode and removed most of the stuff, all system, IDE
    & USB. Upon reboot in went to reinstalling and now I have a lo
    of stuff installed twice. viewing devices by connection, some ar
    directly off the computer and other off the acpi bios. And still tw
    IDE controllers
    Can anyone tell me what a properly installed device manager scree
    should look like

    nthums1, Aug 20, 2005

  2. nthums1

    uddarts Guest

    "" wrote:
    > Although I've had quirks, probably mostly Mr.Bill, I had what
    > seemed a
    > pretty darned good system, except not getting USB2 to
    > function at high
    > speed. This was under SE. Alas it went south
    > before I got a recovery
    > setup and my main partition got really
    > scrambled. Reason
    > undetermined.
    > I set up a new drive with ME
    > and again most of my troubles seem
    > attributable to you know
    > who. And again USB2 lacking its appropriate
    > speed.
    > Has anyone
    > had success with 98SE or ME? Was it a clean install or
    > MOBO
    > change (which mine was).
    > I contacted Chaintech concerning
    > USB2 and was told to reset the CMOS,
    > start up in BIOS and
    > choose optimal defaults.
    > I hadn't installed a floppy and that
    > was the first thing it looked for
    > and locked. Restart and it
    > installed a second grouping for the IDE
    > controller.
    > I went to
    > safe mode and removed most of the stuff, all system, IDE,
    > &
    > USB. Upon reboot in went to reinstalling and now I have a
    > lot
    > of stuff installed twice. viewing devices by connection,
    > some are
    > directly off the computer and other off the acpi
    > bios. And still two
    > IDE controllers.
    > Can anyone tell me what a
    > properly installed device manager screen
    > should look like?

    what usb hardware are you using. i have a dual boot 98se and 2k on a
    7njs which has the same chipset. i attached a wd 120 external
    usb/firewire to it and transfered 4 gig of mp3 files/folders. the 2k
    os was running about 5 min either direction. the 98se ran 6 min from
    the usb drive but fell flat on it’s face from the internal sata drive
    doing the transfer in about 6 min.

    i did a sandra 2004 file test both 98se and 2k showed 19meg transfer
    rate.

    no answer but should give something to compare.

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-7NJL6-OS-ftopict60806.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=307175

    uddarts, Aug 21, 2005

  3. nthums1

    nthums1 Guest

    Not the same chipset if you check closely
    running Iomega HDD

    nthums1, Aug 22, 2005