7VIF4 at 166 fsb instability

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by S. J. A., Sep 9, 2004.

  1. S. J. A.

    S. J. A. Guest

    i can't get my new 7VIF4 to run stabily during hardware intensive
    tasks (linux kernel compile) while jumpered to 166 MHz fsb. i also
    get memory errors when i run memtest-86 on this system, but only when
    at 166 MHz. at this fsb speed i can reproduce these errors in minutes
    with memtest-86 test 6 or 10 (using the modulo-x algorithm). while
    using the system this shows up mainly as mysterious and seemingly
    random segfaults with signal 11. it is almost impossible to get
    through a kernel compile, and it will die in a different place each
    time. this is all with the fail-safe BIOS settings.

    however, when i have this motherboard jumpered to 133 MHz fsb
    everything seems solid. at this speed i can't reproduce any of the
    memory errors. memtest-86 doesn't turn up anything wrong with the
    memory. also, for the past 24 hours the system has been compiling
    various large software packages non-stop without any problems.

    here are the details of my setup:
    motherboard: Chaintech 7VIF4
    cpu: AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton core
    ram: 512 Crucial PC2700 DDR, 512 Ultra PC2700 DDR
    psu: 425 watt (came in Just 4 PC case)
    cpu fan: TR2 M4

    if anyone has any advice or can give me a good account of a 7VIF4
    running stable at 166 fsb i would appreciate it.

    thanks.

    S. J. A., Sep 9, 2004

  2. S. J. A.

    Russ M. Guest

    I am experiencing the EXACT same problem with nearly the same components.

    7VIF4 & Barton 2600+
    256MB Crucial PC2700 DDR (X2)
    CPU Fan Thermaltake V7 (38C @ idle/44C @ load)

    I've been dinking with it now for 2 weeks. Runs great at 133 but all kinds
    of problems at 166. I've swapped cases, PSU's, & memory (4 times). At 166,
    programs won't run right and I can't even do a 'Windows Update' in Win2K.
    Drive errors like crazy and copying from one HD to another, or doing a DVD
    write, will cause spontaneous reboots. Drop it to 133 and everything runs
    great again.

    I don't know what else I can do. The site I bought it from says I need to
    send it to Chaintech for warranty. Apparently, I only get 14 days from the
    day they ship it. Anyway, I think you should stop pulling your hair out on
    this one. I think the board's a turkey.

    Russ M., Sep 9, 2004

  3. S. J. A.

    S. J. A. Guest

    "Russ M." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    <snip>
    > I don't know what else I can do. The site I bought it from says I need to
    > send it to Chaintech for warranty. Apparently, I only get 14 days from the
    > day they ship it. Anyway, I think you should stop pulling your hair out on
    > this one. I think the board's a turkey.

    i have been searching everywhere trying to find some evidence that
    this board will actually work as advertised at 166 fsb. the best i
    have found is some anonymous reviews on newegg that seem to imply that
    they haven't had the same problem:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-030&depa=0

    i would think that if this is an inherent problem with this
    motherboard then i should be able to easily find plenty of discussion
    on the issue either on the web or usenet. maybe Russ M. and myself
    happen to have a couple from a bad batch. if it were not for this
    problem, this motherboard would be just fine for my needs. right now,
    though, my CPU is having to run at ~500 MHz less than it should. i
    never thought that i would be under-clocking my cpu.

    S. J. A., Sep 11, 2004
  4. S. J. A.

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Did you upgrade the BIOS?
    http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/Download/dl_desc.asp?DCSNo=4&PISNo=186

    Ugly Mugly, Sep 11, 2004
  5. S. J. A.

    Russ M. Guest

    I was originally wondering about that. But then I decided it wasn't worth
    the trouble since it looked like they only applied to Audio or USB HD's.
    Now you have me thinking about it all over again. I guess it obviously
    couldn't hurt. But the versions don't seem to coincide with the release
    dates. What order are you supposed to apply them or do you just run them
    all? Maybe this is second nature to some of you guys but there's nothing
    but guesswork from where I sit. No Docs in the zips either and they're just
    raw .bin's. They jump from 2 releases of V3, back to V2, then to V5.
    (J.S.A., did you try any of them with any degree of success?)

    Russ M., Sep 12, 2004
  6. S. J. A.

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Russ, just apply the BIOS update that corolates to your onboard sound. That
    is what the diff is here. This update doesn't have to do with audio, it has
    to do with which motherboard you have.

    If you are in doubt, contact Chaintech techsupport on the phone. It is much
    faster that way.

    Ugly Mugly, Sep 12, 2004
  7. S. J. A.

    Russ M. Guest

    Thanks for the tips. I just located my sound chip and flashed the BIOS with
    the latest version for that chip. I also re-installed all the mb drivers
    supplied by the Chaintech site. I'm working with it using the Sandra 2004
    burn-in tool. (If there is a better/free testing tool, I'm very open to
    recommends). So far so good but it's also only been 30 minutes. I'm
    probably foolishly optimistic that it will solve the probs, but I always
    feel the car runs better after a wash too. :) Just the same, I've got my
    fingers crossed.

    I'll post my results as the day goes on. Perhaps it will be helpful for
    others. I'd be interested in hearing how S.J.A. makes out as well.

    Cheers!

    Russ M., Sep 12, 2004
  8. S. J. A.

    Russ M. Guest

    Well......I don't want to jinx anything but I think we're in biz. It's hard
    for me to understand why a simple BIOS update would make my board stable,
    but indeed that's what I've seen all day long. I've been encoding video all
    day and not a single blip, re-boot, or freeze-up. Whoo-Hoo. So far it's
    running flawlessly at 166MHz. I'm stunned AND speechless. Not to mention
    extremely happy! I just hope I'm not dreaming all this...... :)

    Thanks to all,
    Russ

    Russ M., Sep 13, 2004
  9. S. J. A.

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Russ M. wrote:
    > Well......I don't want to jinx anything but I think we're in biz.
    > It's hard for me to understand why a simple BIOS update would make my
    > board stable, but indeed that's what I've seen all day long. I've
    > been encoding video all day and not a single blip, re-boot, or
    > freeze-up. Whoo-Hoo. So far it's running flawlessly at 166MHz. I'm
    > stunned AND speechless. Not to mention extremely happy! I just
    > hope I'm not dreaming all this...... :)
    >
    > Thanks to all,
    > Russ

    You are most welcome. And yes, a BIOS upgrade can make all the difference in
    the world, as this is where the computer is told how to handle memory, the
    cpu, the PCI bus, hard drives, cd/dvd drives, etc....

    Ugly Mugly, Sep 13, 2004
  10. S. J. A.

    Russ M. Guest

    It wasn't to be afterall. While the board is MUCH more stable at 166MHz
    after the BIOS update, it still isn't right. When writing DVDs, it'll fail
    in different ways. Sometimes it'll reboot in the middle of the write, write
    garbage, or just plain freeze up. I can't get a successful DVD write at
    166. Fine at 133. So for now, I'm manually jumpering it back to 133 when I
    have to write disks. Then back to 166 when I'm finished. The only odd
    behavior I've seen at 166 after the BIOS update is that my scanner software
    will just self-launch occasionally. But never at 133.

    Russ M., Sep 14, 2004
  11. S. J. A.

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    "Russ M." <> wrote in message
    > It wasn't to be afterall. While the board is MUCH more stable at 166MHz
    > after the BIOS update, it still isn't right. When writing DVDs, it'll
    > fail
    > in different ways. Sometimes it'll reboot in the middle of the write,
    > write
    > garbage, or just plain freeze up. I can't get a successful DVD write at
    > 166. Fine at 133. So for now, I'm manually jumpering it back to 133 when
    > have to write disks. Then back to 166 when I'm finished. The only odd
    > behavior I've seen at 166 after the BIOS update is that my scanner
    > software
    > will just self-launch occasionally. But never at 133.

    Then you may have problems with your PSU, Memory, or CPU. Of course it could
    be a faulty MOBO too, but the first three are easier to check out.

    http://www.memtest86.com/#download1

    For the PSU, or CPU you will need to take them to your nearest computer shop
    to test. The motherboard however would need sending to Chaintech, and that
    could take several weeks from the time you send it, to the time you receive
    it. And if you do this, get an RMA number from them first, and get insurance
    on the package just in case.

    Ugly Mugly, Sep 14, 2004
  12. S. J. A.

    S. J. A. Guest

    "Ugly Mugly" <> wrote in message
    > Then you may have problems with your PSU, Memory, or CPU. Of course it could
    > be a faulty MOBO too, but the first three are easier to check out.
    >
    > http://www.memtest86.com/#download1
    >
    > For the PSU, or CPU you will need to take them to your nearest computer shop
    > to test. The motherboard however would need sending to Chaintech, and that
    > could take several weeks from the time you send it, to the time you receive
    > it. And if you do this, get an RMA number from them first, and get insurance
    > on the package just in case.

    yeah, the BIOS update didn't help me either. neither has chaintech
    support. i have been e-mailing them. memtest-86 will show errors on
    tests 6 and 10 every time, but this is while testing on a same machine
    that is having the problems. this happens no matter what memory i
    have in the machine. i haven't tested the memory on a system that is
    known to be stable, but at this point i suspect that it would test
    fine on a stable system.

    the problem still could be the psu or cpu, but i don't think it is. i
    will continue to test these things when i get the chance, but in the
    mean time i would like to find even one person that has built a
    stable, 166 MHz fsb system with this motherboard. ...anyone? if
    anyone can testify to having such a system, then i will be more than
    happy to admit that my cynical suspicions of an inherent design flaw
    in this motherboard are unjustified.

    steve

    S. J. A., Sep 15, 2004
  13. S. J. A.

    S. J. A. Guest

    (S. J. A.) wrote in message
    <snip>
    > the problem still could be the psu or cpu, but i don't think it is. i
    > will continue to test these things when i get the chance, but in the
    > mean time i would like to find even one person that has built a
    > stable, 166 MHz fsb system with this motherboard. ...anyone? if
    > anyone can testify to having such a system, then i will be more than
    > happy to admit that my cynical suspicions of an inherent design flaw
    > in this motherboard are unjustified.
    >
    > steve

    well, i am returning the 7VIF4. i have talked with chaintech support,
    and they say that the motherboard is the problem. what they didn't
    say is whether it is an inherent problem.

    i have an Asus A7V8X-X that should be arriving today. hopefully i
    will have better luck with this one.

    steve

    S. J. A., Sep 21, 2004
  14. S. J. A.

    Russ M. Guest

    Yep. I tested everything else and swapped memory & psu's quite a few times.
    It never worked at 166. I sent mine back to the dealer and we'll see how it
    goes. I haven't heard anything yet, 2 days after they received it. I
    couldn't test the CPU independently so it could be either part. But still
    interesting is that before sending it back, I ran it for 6 straight days
    (24x6) processing video the entire time at 133Mhz FSB. Not a single
    sputter....

    Russ

    Russ M., Sep 24, 2004
  15. (S. J. A.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (S. J. A.) wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > the problem still could be the psu or cpu, but i don't think it is. i
    > > will continue to test these things when i get the chance, but in the
    > > mean time i would like to find even one person that has built a
    > > stable, 166 MHz fsb system with this motherboard. ...anyone? if
    > > anyone can testify to having such a system, then i will be more than
    > > happy to admit that my cynical suspicions of an inherent design flaw
    > > in this motherboard are unjustified.
    > >
    > > steve

    I just built 4 of these 7VIF4 Chaintech systems for a customer and
    they do not work at 166 fsb. They work perfect with the 133 fsb. I
    have used a program called goldmemory to test the memory at 166 and
    get hundreds of errors. At 133 I do not get any errors. It looks like
    I am going to loose a lot of money to fix this problem by purchasing
    new motherboards or new cpu's with 133 bus. I wished I knew about this
    problem before I made my purchase. I got them from Newegg and the
    customer reviews were all pretty good. Does anybody know of a VIA
    KM400 chipset motherboard that works well at 166 FSB? I might go back
    to the Biostar with the Nvidia chipset with onboard geforce video, but
    they cost a lot more.
    BEWARE of the CHAINTECH motherboard 166FSB problem before you spend
    your money!!!
    Rick

    rick_from_michigan, Sep 24, 2004