8k3a+ and 2800 barton...does temp monitor show accurate temp?

Discussion in 'Epox' started by KCA, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. KCA

    KCA Guest

    howdy all

    pretty much as the subject says, have an 8k3a+ board with the correct
    revision number to support the 2800 barton, which runs fine in the
    board. only issue is that the temp is showing fairly high, between 60-70
    degrees C, was wondering if this is an issue with the hardware monitor
    not reading temp correctly or is it actually running that hot?

    I'm not having any issues with the board, and can run intensive 3d games
    for several hours without lockups or other problems...so am inclined to
    ignore the readings from this...anyone using this combo and can shed
    some light on this?

    thanks in advance

    Kris

    KCA, Feb 24, 2005

  2. KCA

    DaveL Guest

    What does it say in bios? If it's the same then you better check the HSF
    mounting and thermal compound.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Feb 24, 2005

  3. KCA

    KCA Guest

    aye, have done that, went home last night and removed the stock thermal
    pad and replaced with thermal paste, no change in temp readings...cpu
    and heatsink are making good contact, am using stock cooling from retail
    box.

    The thing is, when i went from an 8KTA3L+ to this board with my 2000+,
    my temps went up by 10-14 degrees...on old board temps were between 40 -
    50, on this one they were 50-60, makes me think the 8k3a+ hardware
    monitor may be off?

    KCA, Feb 25, 2005
  4. KCA

    DaveL Guest

    Yes sometimes the sensor can be off. Is this what it reads in bios? I
    have two Epox 8RDA+ systems. One reads the cpu temp in the high 30s the
    other in the mid 40s. They both have the same cpu and hsf. I chalked it up
    to differences in the sensor calibration.

    Since you have checked the installation of the HSF there is nothing more you
    can do. You have to accept the temps you are getting as normal.

    BTW, what is the case temp?

    DaveL

    DaveL, Feb 25, 2005
  5. KCA

    KCA Guest

    case temp shows 25 degrees C, have been hunting and apparently the 8k3a+
    has issues reading cores correctly other than the tbirds and
    palominos...prolly pushing my expectations to get it to give accurate
    readings for barton core cpu's...:)

    just hard for a tech to look at that and not want to *fix* it...lol

    Kris

    KCA, Feb 25, 2005
  6. KCA

    DaveL Guest

    I just did a quick search on your board and it is all clear now. The 8K3A+
    reads the CPU's internal diode. That is why the temp seems so high in
    comparison to other boards that merely have a sensor in the socket under the
    chip.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Feb 25, 2005
  7. KCA

    KCA Guest

    it also is apparently reading 10 degrees too high, according to article
    i found here
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276
    reading under the Test System section...so is all good...

    thanks for your response!

    Kris

    KCA, Feb 25, 2005
  8. KCA

    KCA Guest

    one other sideline to this if anyone else happens to read it is that the
    latest bios drops the displayed temp by 10 degrees C, putting it into a
    reasonable range of 50-60...so there is a bug in the original bios..

    KCA, Feb 28, 2005