8K3A Problems

Discussion in 'Epox' started by 99 GMC Z71 Owner, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Hello all,

    A buddies PC crapped out on him, he gave it to me to reformat etc, I can't
    get Win XP to install, part way through the install, a blue screen with a
    message comes up telling me that there is problems with the video slot, then
    the next time I try to install, it comes up with a message the IRQ's are
    conflicting, then another time it say the memory is a problem, it tells me
    to try disabling Bios Shadowing and caching, I did that, took for freakin
    ever to load anything

    I disconnected everything that the mobo doesn't need, IE sound card, network
    card, storage drive, same thing as above

    Tried the video card in my PC, works fine, tested everything else that I
    could on my PC, works fine

    Took the power supply out of my PC, put it in his, no difference, same
    message

    I notice that some of the resisters have a brownish dried up stuff on the
    top of them, some don't

    I have come to the conclusion that the mobo is NFG

    You guys agree?

    If not, any other ideas?

    Thanx in advance

    Brian
    99 GMC Z71 Owner, Mar 28, 2005

  2. 99 GMC Z71 Owner

    DaveL Guest

    You could replace the bad caps (they are capacitors, not resistors) or pitch
    the board if it's not worth the hassle. Another post on here talks about a
    guy named Gary who replaces the caps for a fee.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Mar 28, 2005

  3. 99 GMC Z71 Owner

    Brian Guest

    Thanx Dave

    I replaced the mobo, its all good now

    I'm not sure if I have the talent to replace the capacitors, I'll do a
    little research to see how its done, I'll probably give it a try, if it
    don't work, then I'll chuck the old one

    Brian

    Brian, Mar 30, 2005
  4. 99 GMC Z71 Owner

    tim Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in news:sqo2e.841836$Xk.495393@pd7tw3no:

    > Thanx Dave
    >
    > I replaced the mobo, its all good now
    >
    > I'm not sure if I have the talent to replace the capacitors, I'll do a
    > little research to see how its done, I'll probably give it a try, if it
    > don't work, then I'll chuck the old one
    >
    > Brian

    Why not make an RMA request to EPOX?

    They gave me an RMA on an 8K3A that was a year out of warranty.
    That surprised the heck out of me.

    tim
    tim, Mar 30, 2005
  5. 99 GMC Z71 Owner

    Rainer Latka Guest

    Brian schrieb am Mittwoch, 30. März 2005 04:46:

    > Thanx Dave
    >
    > I replaced the mobo, its all good now
    >
    > I'm not sure if I have the talent to replace the capacitors, I'll do a
    > little research to see how its done, I'll probably give it a try, if

    as you don't seem to have any electronics experience, you may have
    difficulties replacing the capacitors. These mobos are multilayer
    designs; replacing components on them is certainly not a task for
    beginners. Also, finding suitable replacement capacitors may be
    difficult (temperature range and other parameters - its not just the
    capacitance that needs to fit).

    Rainer

    > it don't work, then I'll chuck the old one
    >
    > Brian

    [...]
    Rainer Latka, Apr 4, 2005