8kha+ Intermittent Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Epox' started by BRH, Sep 8, 2007.

  1. BRH

    BRH Guest

    I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
    When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
    listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
    saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
    never boots until I hit the reset button.

    This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
    sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
    system finally boots up.

    Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
    issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?

    The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
    months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had
    problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I
    didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI"
    problem started only after adding that RAM.

  2. Graham W

    Graham W Guest

    BRH wrote:
    > I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes
    > -- When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
    > listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
    > saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
    > never boots until I hit the reset button.
    >
    > This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
    > sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
    > system finally boots up.
    >
    > Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
    > issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
    >
    > The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
    > months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially
    > had problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be
    > that I didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this
    > "DMI" problem started only after adding that RAM.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

    It isn't an error message. It is simply saying what it is going to do
    next.
    The fact that you get a hang up there is somewhat a coincidence,
    however, if you say that you never saw the problem before before you
    added the last stick of RAM, try taking it out again.

    It actually sounds like typical 'bad caps' behaviour as you say it can
    get past the hang up after a few tries. I've had that too.

    It may be an idea to 'waggle' the last stick of RAM in its socket to
    ensure it is still making good contact.

    HTH

    Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial
    WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
    Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

    1. Advertising

  3. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Graham W wrote:
    > BRH wrote:
    >
    >>I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes
    >>-- When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
    >>listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
    >>saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
    >>never boots until I hit the reset button.
    >>
    >>This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
    >>sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
    >>system finally boots up.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
    >>issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
    >>
    >>The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
    >>months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially
    >>had problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be
    >>that I didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this
    >>"DMI" problem started only after adding that RAM.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

    > It isn't an error message. It is simply saying what it is going to do
    > next.
    > The fact that you get a hang up there is somewhat a coincidence,
    > however, if you say that you never saw the problem before before you
    > added the last stick of RAM, try taking it out again.
    >
    > It actually sounds like typical 'bad caps' behaviour as you say it can
    > get past the hang up after a few tries. I've had that too.
    >
    > It may be an idea to 'waggle' the last stick of RAM in its socket to
    > ensure it is still making good contact.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial
    > WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
    > Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

    Thanks for the info.

    I sure hope that it isn't bad caps. My original 8kha+ lasted 5 years of
    heavy use. I've only had this refurbished one for about 10 months or so.

  4. Tommy

    Tommy Guest

    >I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
    >When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
    >listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
    >saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
    >never boots until I hit the reset button.
    >
    >This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
    >sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
    >system finally boots up.
    >
    >Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
    >issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
    >
    >The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
    >months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had
    >problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I
    >didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI"
    >problem started only after adding that RAM.
    >
    >Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

    My 8HDA5+ does the same thing every few days only on boot up.
    caps "look" fine. Bought it new wish I could find another.
    Uses the 754 CPU.

  5. finding z0

    finding z0 Guest

    On Sep 8, 12:13 pm, BRH <BRH> wrote:
    > I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
    > When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
    > listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
    > saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
    > never boots until I hit the reset button.
    >
    > This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
    > sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
    > system finally boots up.
    >
    > Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
    > issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
    >
    > The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
    > months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had
    > problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I
    > didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI"
    > problem started only after adding that RAM.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

    How about crazy thoughts

    HAHAHAHAHAHAH.....Sorry, but i was gonna post the same problem. Almost
    7 yr old 8KHA+ with an athlon 2400xp clocked at 2600. i.e. from 7.5X
    to 8X times 133 (and doubled). Overclocking the cpu got rid of the
    "hit the reset button" cause it won't entirely fire up the first time,
    but it consistently fires up the second. My new problem with the OC'd
    sys is that now, after several years, the cpu, which normally idles
    between 47 deg C in Winter, to 51 deg in summer, now starts
    heating to 54 deg C and everthiiiiinnnnngggggggggg
    slooooooooooooooowzssss dooooown to an impossible crawl. It does this
    every other time I use the rig. All the fans are working (haven't
    looked into the PS). So I clocked it back down to 2400 and I suspect
    that may solve the heat problem, but the double startup problem is
    back. That's why I said HAHAHAHAHAHA,,,,,,it's enuff to drive one
    mad..... A friend thought it might be the PS, but it seems to me when
    I posted this problem years ago, someone tried a new PS and that
    didn't solve the problem. I guess I can live with the double startup.
    I don't remember if it also hangs on shut down. Now that would be too
    much. These MB are artworks, not precision pieces. It could be
    anything. Anyone know what the voltages in the bios should be? My core
    voltage says "0"

  6. Lee M.

    Lee M. Guest

    <BRH> wrote in message news:eek:...
    > I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
    > When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a listing
    > of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen saying
    > "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and never
    > boots until I hit the reset button.
    >
    > This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and sometimes
    > requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the system finally
    > boots up.
    >
    > Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory issue,
    > a hard drive issue, or something else?
    >
    > The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10 months.
    > I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had problems
    > getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I didn't
    > have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI" problem started
    > only after adding that RAM.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

    I have a similar problem with an 8RDA3+ I bought off Ebay a few months ago.
    About every 3rd or 4th start, it will hang on the BIOS screen. Sometimes it
    gets to the "detecting IDE drives" message and hangs, sometimes I only get
    part of the BIOS screen displayed. Always boots up the 2nd or 3rd time and
    once running, I never have a problem. It has been suggested by other
    posters that it is 1) power supply or 2) bad caps.

    The caps look fine, no bulging or leaking (unlike the 8RDA+ I have with
    leaking, bulging caps, which boots up fine but the Vdd voltage fluctuates
    between 1.4 and 1.6). The power supply is a 6 month old Rosewill 430 watt.
    Not a top of line PSU but should be robust enough for my system. At this
    point, I'm just living with it though I may try a better brand power supply
    in the future.

    One other suggestion I had was to remove all the cards and memory stick and
    re-install them and very all PSU connections are good and solid.

    Good luck.