    I might start seeing problems? My 6 yr old 8KHA+ does not have bulging
    caps. The 8RDA+ will be in a backup computer, not my main machine. I will
    probably only see 3-4 hrs a week of on time.

    Lee M., Feb 4, 2007

  2. Lee M.

    dave Guest

    Nope, no timetable. I have two 8RDA+ systems and both have had the bulging,
    spewing, bad caps problem. One began to not boot and I replaced the caps to
    repair it. The other to this day is working fine with bad caps. My theory
    is much of it depends on the quality of the power supply. In other words,
    even if a motherboard has bad caps it may still function fine if the power
    supply has very well regulated outputs.

    DaveL

    dave, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Lee M.

    Margaret Guest

    Lee M. wrote:
    > Just bought my kid's 8RDA+ and I see several of the caps are bulging with
    > some brownish crud on them. He hadn't said he had any problems, just wanted
    > a faster system. Once the caps start bulging, is there any timetable before
    > I might start seeing problems? My 6 yr old 8KHA+ does not have bulging
    > caps. The 8RDA+ will be in a backup computer, not my main machine. I will
    > probably only see 3-4 hrs a week of on time.

    Sigh... I loved my 8RDA+. One day I opened it up to maybe add a hard
    drive, whatever, and I saw all those bulging brown caps. I RMA'd the
    board and got a replacement from Epox. Even though it had new caps, it
    lived a very short life before it developed probs that were unresolvable
    despite careful troubleshooting. It ended up going in the trash. I'm
    not saying that all refurbs are bad by any means, and who knows how long
    I had before my bulging cap 8RDA+ would have shown probs. But in
    retrospect, I should have kept it till it acted up. As a former
    computer/net pro, I know better than to try to fix what ain't broke.
    Live & learn, eh? ;-)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret, Feb 4, 2007
  4. Lee M.

    Paul Guest

    dave wrote:
    > Nope, no timetable. I have two 8RDA+ systems and both have had the
    > bulging, spewing, bad caps problem. One began to not boot and I
    > replaced the caps to repair it. The other to this day is working fine
    > with bad caps. My theory is much of it depends on the quality of the
    > power supply. In other words, even if a motherboard has bad caps it may
    > still function fine if the power supply has very well regulated outputs.
    >
    > DaveL

    But the caps are used in places not directly connected to the PSU.
    The caps on the output side of Vcore, are operating at the Vcore
    voltage, in the neighborhood of 1.5V or so. So if those caps
    malfunction, even the most manly power supply will not help them.

    In some places on the motherboard, caps are used in a group. Each
    cap carries some of the ripple current, which is the function of
    a bypass cap. When one cap begins to bulge and no longer functions
    correctly, the load is transferred to the good ones. Which can
    accelerate their demise. So you may see some "correlation" in the
    failure of caps, especially if they are carrying a heavy load.

    And the caps can be replaced, but a repair person will likely
    ask more for the work, than the replacement cost of the motherboard.
    When cheap motherboards for other sockets are available at $50, you
    cannot get much repair work done for $50. Only a dedicated hobbyist,
    willing to do the work for free, plus someone paying for a handful
    of caps, will be able to compete at the $50 level, and the
    hobbyist will go hungry if he/she does too many of them.

    I don't know anything about the person running this site. I got here
    by entering the URL of another site that used to do repairs. At least
    there is some info here, on how to do the repairs yourself, if you
    are so inclined.

    http://www.badcaps.net/tips/rem/

    There is much lore in the selection of capacitors, and it is
    surprisingly difficult to get your hands on some good ones. For
    example, I can search down the part numbers of good ones, on
    a capacitor manufacturer's web site, but not be able to find
    them anywhere for sale. (Digikey, Mouser, and Newark are potential
    places to get them.)

    One other thing - the rating printed on the plastic sleeve (the
    capacitance), is seldom the most important parameter. There are
    other parameters, which are listed in the catalog for such parts,
    that is part of the selection process. So when someone says
    "use a bigger one with more microfarads", that is seldom correct
    advice, at least on a motherboard. If selecting capacitors for
    yourself, without help from sites like badcaps.net, you can get
    some advice by downloading the datasheet for the switching regulator
    chip, as they usually explain some of the tradeoffs between
    the parameters like ESL, ESR, ripple current etc.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 5, 2007
  5. Lee M.

    Davy Guest

    Rubycon 105 deg. C low ESR & Panasonic FC type's or better...
    avoid as already stated in using standard type's, Panasonic does make
    125 deg. C type's all the better if you can get them. The must have
    the same value in uF, the voltage can be higher but obviously they
    must be the same size.

    Rubycon caps seem to be pretty standard and are available from RS
    components for certain, along with Panasonic.

    Davy

    Davy, Feb 10, 2007
  6. Lee M.

    dave Guest

    If you case temp goes over 100c, the least thing you'll have to worry about
    is the caps. Say goodbye to your hard drive.

    DaveL

    dave, Feb 11, 2007
  7. Lee M.

    Lee M. Guest

    Interesting that the caps on my 5 or 6 yr old 8KHA+ (ver 2.0) are all fine
    and many of the 2 year newer 8RDA+ caps are bursting at the seems.

    Lee M., Feb 12, 2007
  8. Lee M.

    Mike Guest

    I have the same board as you and I had the bulging caps. They caused
    instability on my system. Eventually my machine would not boot. I
    called Epox got an RMA number and they fixed my board or sent me
    another with good caps. Now my rig runs better than it did when new.

    On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 10:23:00 -0500, "Lee M." <lmacmil@forget_it.com>
    wrote:

    >Just bought my kid's 8RDA+ and I see several of the caps are bulging with
    >some brownish crud on them. He hadn't said he had any problems, just wanted
    >a faster system. Once the caps start bulging, is there any timetable before
    >I might start seeing problems? My 6 yr old 8KHA+ does not have bulging
    >caps. The 8RDA+ will be in a backup computer, not my main machine. I will
    >probably only see 3-4 hrs a week of on time.

    Regards

    Mike

    Go Blackhawks!

    Mike, Feb 17, 2007
  9. Lee M.

    Davy Guest

    Davy, Feb 19, 2007
  10. Lee M.

    dave Guest

    The caps that went bad in my two 8RDA+ boards were the green GSCs. The
    black ones were fine so I did not change them.

    DaveL

    "Davy" <> wrote in message

    dave, Feb 19, 2007