    migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does anyone know
    if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by replacing the
    S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

    Jeff 666, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Jeff 666

    Rob Stow Guest

    Jeff 666 wrote:
    > With AMD's announcement today that their entire line of Opterons have
    > migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does anyone know
    > if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by replacing the
    > S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

    You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
    on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
    chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.

    --
    Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
    have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

    Rob Stow, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Jeff 666

    Jeff 666 Guest

    Rob Stow <> wrote in

    > Jeff 666 wrote:
    >> With AMD's announcement today that their entire line of Opterons have
    >> migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does
    >> anyone know if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by
    >> replacing the S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

    > You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
    > on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
    > chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.

    Thanks for replying though it's not entirely clear what your point is. I am
    familiar with what is and what is not published on Tyan's web site about
    the S2895 and the S2891. Neither support the 1 GHz HyperTransport of the
    new Opterons. I was merely asking if anyone had heard anything about Tyan's
    plans for the new chips.

    Jeff 666, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Jeff 666

    Rob Stow Guest

    Jeff 666 wrote:
    > Rob Stow <> wrote in
    >

    >>Jeff 666 wrote:
    >>
    >>>With AMD's announcement today that their entire line of Opterons have
    >>>migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does
    >>>anyone know if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by
    >>>replacing the S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

    >>You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
    >>on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
    >>chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.
    >>

    > Thanks for replying though it's not entirely clear what your point is. I am
    > familiar with what is and what is not published on Tyan's web site about
    > the S2895 and the S2891. Neither support the 1 GHz HyperTransport of the
    > new Opterons. I was merely asking if anyone had heard anything about Tyan's
    > plans for the new chips.

    Those two boards use the nForce4 Pro 2050 + 2200 chipset.

    Everything review I've seen so far of the nForce4 Pro has said it
    uses 1 GHz for the HT links.

    The nVidia website doesn't specifically give a GHz or MHz number
    for the HT speed, but it does give 8 GB/s as the bandwidth
    (undoubtedly should have been stated as 8 Gb/s) from which you
    can deduce the 1 GHz speed.

    Rob Stow, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Jeff 666

    Rob Stow Guest

    Rob Stow wrote:
    > Jeff 666 wrote:
    >
    >>Rob Stow <> wrote in

    >>>You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
    >>>on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
    >>>chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.
    >>>

    >>Thanks for replying though it's not entirely clear what your point is. I am
    >>familiar with what is and what is not published on Tyan's web site about
    >>the S2895 and the S2891. Neither support the 1 GHz HyperTransport of the
    >>new Opterons. I was merely asking if anyone had heard anything about Tyan's
    >>plans for the new chips.

    > Those two boards use the nForce4 Pro 2050 + 2200 chipset.
    >
    > Everything review I've seen so far of the nForce4 Pro has said it
    > uses 1 GHz for the HT links.
    >
    > The nVidia website doesn't specifically give a GHz or MHz number
    > for the HT speed, but it does give 8 GB/s as the bandwidth
    > (undoubtedly should have been stated as 8 Gb/s) from which you
    > can deduce the 1 GHz speed.

    Had a blonde moment there.

    What is on the nVidia site is 800 GB/s, which I meant to post
    here and suggest a correct value of 8 GB/s. Don't ask me how I
    managed to type 8 GB/s with a suggestion correction of 8 Gb/s.

    Rob Stow, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Jeff 666

    Jeff 666 Guest

    Rob Stow <> wrote in

    > Rob Stow wrote:
    >> Jeff 666 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Rob Stow <> wrote in

    > What is on the nVidia site is 800 GB/s, which I meant to post
    > here and suggest a correct value of 8 GB/s. Don't ask me how I
    > managed to type 8 GB/s with a suggestion correction of 8 Gb/s.

    Thanks Rob. I noticed that the S2895's BIOS settings have a 1 GHz HT option
    (800 MHz by default).

    Jeff 666, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Jeff 666

    Rob Stow Guest

    Jeff 666 wrote:
    > Rob Stow <> wrote in
    >

    >>Rob Stow wrote:

    >>What is on the nVidia site is 800 GB/s, which I meant to post
    >>here and suggest a correct value of 8 GB/s. Don't ask me how I
    >>managed to type 8 GB/s with a suggestion correction of 8 Gb/s.
    >>

    > Thanks Rob. I noticed that the S2895's BIOS settings have a 1 GHz HT option
    > (800 MHz by default).

    You have an S2895 already ? Wow.

    Someone I'm going to build a few systems for just ordered a few
    and was told that it would be at least late March before they
    arrived.

    Where did you get them from ?
    Did you get the kind with integrated SCSI ?
    Discover any gotchas specific to building a system around the S2895?
    Have you tried out the nForce4's SATA RAID features ?

    Rob Stow, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Jeff 666

    Erich Guest

    Just FYI (I work for AMD so am familiar with the HT options and what
    they do):

    The earlier Dual Opteron motherboards (at least the Thunder K8W and K8S
    Pro, which I have) support 1GHz HT *between* the processors (look in
    the BIOS setup), which is the most important part performance in
    general.

    1 GHz HT to the I/O subsystem just isn't necessary for PCI-X 1.0 or AGP
    8x, 800MHz HT is already more than fast enough (3.2 GB/sec in each
    direction full duplex, so 6.4GB/sec total).

    In theory, the PCI-Express x16 could see the difference, but I bet in
    general you would never notice the difference in usage considering, If
    I Recall Correctly, PCI-Express vs. AGP 8x doesn't seem to make a
    measurable difference in benchmarks either.

    Erich Boleyn

    Erich, Mar 2, 2005