    I have an AMD 1.3 with over 1 gig of ram. I should think it would be
    roaring, but instead...
    Really really frustrated
    s, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Its a crap card you got what you paid for, should have got a 9600 Pro
    atleast.

    My 9600 Pro rocks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Also you only have a 1.3 ghz cpu what the hell do you expect ?, that
    CPU should have a GF2 installed on it.

    Upgrade to a Xp 2400 and a Radeon 9600 Pro and you will wet yourself
    and be very happy.

    Atleast upgrade your CPu to the max your board can go hopfully atleast
    XP 2400 2 ghz, 2800 333 if your REALY lucky.

    Bye.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Dec 14, 2003
  4. s

    Kent_Diego Guest

    Check http://rage3d.com forums and old driver cleaner tools for help.

    This is common problem associated with old driver reminants.

    -Kent
    Kent_Diego, Dec 14, 2003
  5. s

    s Guest

    Jesus, is everybody on this newsgroup an idiot?
    What did I expect? I expected a brand new video card to perform better
    than one that was 6 years old. I expected that I would not have to pay
    500.00 for a card that would give me frame rates in the double digits. I
    expected that I would not have to buy a brand new state of the art
    computer for 2 grand so that I could watch a DVD without it locking up
    every 3 minutes. Somehow I don't think my expectations are all that high...

    s, Dec 14, 2003
  6. s

    s Guest

    Thank you, at least someone here can just give an answer without
    insulting me like a petulant twelve year old =)

    s, Dec 14, 2003
  7. s

    Thomas Guest

    s wrote:
    > Thank you, at least someone here can just give an answer without
    > insulting me like a petulant twelve year old =)
    >
    > Kent_Diego wrote:
    >
    >> Check http://rage3d.com forums and old driver cleaner tools for help.
    >>
    >> This is common problem associated with old driver reminants.

    You were insulted by one guy, i think, and he's not one with a reputation to
    give many supportive answers, i believe ;-)
    Always a risk, when posting in a newsgroup ;-)

    As for your system, it's not the fastest around, and the same can be said
    about your vid card, but indeed, OF COURSE it should be alot faster than
    your Fire, and at the least play DVD's well. You're probably with either a
    corrupt system, or you have to update your mainboard drivers... And DirectX
    9.0 maybe?

    Well, i've said before, if i have problems after upgrading, i always
    reinstall Windows... It's a bit troublesome, of course, but i am a mess at
    keeping my windows clean, so for me it's a good thing to format the C drive
    from time to time anyway ;-)

    Thomas
    Thomas, Dec 14, 2003
  8. s

    Darthy Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:03:35 GMT, s <> wrote:

    >Jesus, is everybody on this newsgroup an idiot?
    >What did I expect? I expected a brand new video card to perform better
    >than one that was 6 years old. I expected that I would not have to pay
    >500.00 for a card that would give me frame rates in the double digits. I
    >expected that I would not have to buy a brand new state of the art
    >computer for 2 grand so that I could watch a DVD without it locking up
    >every 3 minutes. Somehow I don't think my expectations are all that high...

    1 - not everyone here is an idiot.

    2 - A driver conflict can cause a NEW card, ATI or other to not work
    correctly.

    3 - OS can play a role.

    4 - The 9600se is a crap card, but should be faster than what you had.

    5 - You don't need a $500 video card, most $175~200 video cards will
    play games just fine. 9600Pro/XT

    6 - You don't need a $2000 computer... some $2000 computers play games
    like shit.

    A $300 upgrade for your CPU/RAM and motherboard would help.

    $100 = AMD XP2500 CPU
    $60 = ASUS KT600 motherboard (www.newegg.com)
    $80 = 512mb DDR RAM
    =====================
    $240

    When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

    Death to Palladium & WPA!!
    Darthy, Dec 14, 2003
  9. s

    Tim Guest

    "s" <> wrote in message
    > Jesus, is everybody on this newsgroup an idiot?

    No, but anyone who seems vulnerable always attracts them. Plenty of
    knowledgeable people here though, but they usually have lives so they're
    seldom the first to respond. Don't dismiss web forums though, like the ones
    at http://www.rage3d.com. Being moderated the troll factor is quite a bit
    lower.
    Tim, Dec 14, 2003
  10. s

    Dunny Rummy Guest

    Good advise darthy! I should know. I had a 9600se but wasn't happy
    with it so I exchanged it for a 9600XT(Darthy's advise). Now I'm
    happier than a kitten with warm milk(i.e. till I can afford a 9800 PRO
    and upgrade my core)!
    ----------------------
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    AMD Athlon XP, 1533 MHz
    nVIDIA nForce2 SPP
    768 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    ATI Radeon 9600XT (RV350)
    ----------------------

    Dunny Rummy, Dec 14, 2003
  11. s

    Phrederick Guest

    "s" <> wrote in message
    > Jesus, is everybody on this newsgroup an idiot?

    You expect us to be mind readers? You told us almost NOTHING about your
    system yet you expect us to know just why your computer sucks. What
    mainboard? What chipset does it use? Having over a gig of PC66 memory won't
    help things.

    ALi chipset? Make sure you do the registry tweak. VIA chipset? Make sure you
    get the latest 4in1's. Did you NUKE the old drivers for the old card? No?
    That's probably the issue right there.

    > What did I expect? I expected a brand new video card to perform better
    > than one that was 6 years old.

    You bought a SUCKY card. Hopefully you didn't pay more than $50 for it. The
    "SE" means "crippled"... half as good as a normal 9600 card (that's nonpro
    too!). If you want good performance/price combo, get a 9600Pro or XT card.

    > I expected that I would not have to pay
    > 500.00 for a card that would give me frame rates in the double digits. I
    > expected that I would not have to buy a brand new state of the art
    > computer for 2 grand so that I could watch a DVD without it locking up
    > every 3 minutes. Somehow I don't think my expectations are all that

    high...

    You can get VERY good PC's for under a grand. Also, very often it's cheaper
    to buy a new system than to upgrade an old one.

    Personally, I think spending $500 on a video card is insane, but that's just
    me. Some folks can justify it. $200 is a decent ballpark figure.

    Just because a card is new, don't expect miracles. (They do happen
    sometimes - 50fps at 1280x1024 on my Celeron 600 with Quake 3 using a
    Geforce 2 GTS card - and I didn't even have to turn all the eyecandy off!)

    In all honesty, this sounds like a software/driver problem and if it were me
    and bugged me enough, I'd format and see if the results are different (of
    course I'd format a spare drive to see if it was worth the effort)
    Phrederick, Dec 14, 2003
  12. s

    Phrederick Guest

    "s" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you, at least someone here can just give an answer without
    > insulting me like a petulant twelve year old =)

    Then don't ACT like a petulant twelve year old (and don't give yourself more
    credit then due either!)

    : )
    Phrederick, Dec 14, 2003
  13. s

    Bill Guest

    In article <0e4a513a29a2265126fdcf3c326330c0
    @news.teranews.com>, says...
    > Jesus, is everybody on this newsgroup an idiot?

    Well' we do see a lot of clueless dumb fucks such as
    yourself that have no idea how to install hardware/software
    and then go on whineing tirades about how life isn't fair to
    them.

    Does your mother still draw your bath? Because operating
    the water faucets are way beyond your abilities.

    Bill
    Bill, Dec 15, 2003
  14. We Live For The One We Die For The One wrote:
    You don't know what your talking about. The 9600 pro isn't (shouldn't
    be) much fast than the se. Check to make sure you dont have
    anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering forced to maximum. You check
    this outside of any particular game, in the graphic card set up.

    Mark

    Mark Stuckless, Dec 16, 2003
  15. s

    Darthy Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:29:11 GMT, Mark Stuckless
    <> wrote:

    >We Live For The One We Die For The One wrote:
    >You don't know what your talking about. The 9600 pro isn't (shouldn't
    >be) much fast than the se. Check to make sure you dont have
    >anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering forced to maximum. You check
    >this outside of any particular game, in the graphic card set up.
    >
    >Mark

    HUH?

    Are you saying the 9600Pro isn't much FASTER than 9600Se?

    You're NUTS!!

    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1933&p=3

    Darthy, Dec 16, 2003
  16. s

    Airman Basic Guest

    Can I venture another problem? My SE is adequate for my uses so far, but
    I can't seem to get several games, LOTR and NFS underground included, to
    run at 1024x768. Other games have no problems. After changing the
    resolution, the game runs, I hear the background sounds, but a black
    screen. Using the 3.9 drivers on my Athlon XP3000, Abit NF7S system.
    Airman Basic, Dec 16, 2003
  17. s

    Darthy Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:01:04 -0600, Airman Basic
    <> wrote:

    >Can I venture another problem? My SE is adequate for my uses so far, but
    >I can't seem to get several games, LOTR and NFS underground included, to
    >run at 1024x768. Other games have no problems. After changing the
    >resolution, the game runs, I hear the background sounds, but a black
    >screen. Using the 3.9 drivers on my Athlon XP3000, Abit NF7S system.

    Don't know... sounds like the card is choking on the data at
    1024x768... remember, its a 9600 with its left nut cut off with a hack
    saw.

    Darthy, Dec 17, 2003
  18. s

    Babble Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:08:22 GMT, Darthy
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:01:04 -0600, Airman Basic
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Can I venture another problem? My SE is adequate for my uses so far, but
    >>I can't seem to get several games, LOTR and NFS underground included, to
    >>run at 1024x768. Other games have no problems. After changing the
    >>resolution, the game runs, I hear the background sounds, but a black
    >>screen. Using the 3.9 drivers on my Athlon XP3000, Abit NF7S system.

    >Don't know... sounds like the card is choking on the data at
    >1024x768... remember, its a 9600 with its left nut cut off with a hack
    >saw.

    Lol !!
    Babble, Dec 17, 2003
  19. s

    Airman Basic Guest

    Runs other games, such as NFS2, Call of Duty, etc. perfectly at 1024.
    Strange.

    Airman Basic, Dec 18, 2003
  20. s

    Darthy Guest

    Different games, different coding, different requirements.

    NFS2 is very old, a 32mb GF2 card is more than enough.

    Darthy, Dec 18, 2003