965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is thatcorrect?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Evert, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Hi all!

    I was having some trouble with my AOpen EU965 barebone (
    http://xc.aopen.com.tw/Cube-m-specification .aspx?Auno=2209 ) and getting access to the
    full 4GB I plugged into it.

    And now their helpdesk is telling me the following:

    'Based on the specification of the chipset, it can support 8GB when using 4 DIMM slot. Our
    MB had 2 slot only, so the max memory is 4GB. But if the main memory is 4GB, OS will
    allocate 3~4GB memory address for onboard device. This is why you can only get 3.xGB when
    you install 4GB memory. Other 965 chipset with 2 DIMM slot had the same result. The only
    way is use a 4 slot MB and add the memory more then 4GB. So that the memory size in OS
    will the same as you installed.'

    Is that true?? Is there no way to access the full 4GB I plugged in, just because this
    system has only 2 DIMM-slots??

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Evert

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    If I understand the last two sentences correctly, I believe that they're
    incorrect.

    If you're running a 32 bit Windows operating system, the machine won't have
    4 GB available to Windows. 32 bit windows can address up to 4 GB of RAM, but
    due to some reserved addresses, you'd see a lesser amount (such as 3.25 GB,
    although it varies). It can't normally function with more than 4GB of memory
    installed.

    I believe that some chipsets have a hardware limit in addressing 4GB, but I
    don't think that the 965 is one of those.

    You could see all 4GB by going to a 64 bit operating system like XP64 or
    Vista 64. (That assumes that you have a CPU that supports the 64 bit
    extensions, like a Core 2 Duo.) That would complicate life, though. I don't
    know about XP, but the 64 bit versions of Vista cannot be installed as
    upgrades over 32 bit versions. (You can still use an upgrade version, but
    you can only perform a clean installation with it.) You'd need 64 bit
    drivers for every peripheral.

    (That said, I'm cheerfully running Vista 64 Home Premium. It probably wasn't
    worth the trouble, but it runs OK for me.)

    Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    Bob Knowlden, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Isthat correct?

    Hi!

    Thanks for the swift and thorough reply. Yes, I forgot to mention my CPU & OS. The system
    has a Q6600 (quad core CPU) and I am running 64-bit Linux on this machine. The BIOS
    reports on startup Total Memory: 4119552KB.

    In my opinion the info the AOpen helpdesk gave me doesn't make sense...
    In other places I've been told to check in the bios for memory mapping / memory hole
    settings, but the bios of the EU965 has no options whatsoever here...

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Evert

    Tom Lake Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    > I believe that some chipsets have a hardware limit in addressing 4GB, but
    > I don't think that the 965 is one of those.

    Correct. The two slots are the limiting factor here. The Intel DG965WH
    motherboard has four slots. 2GB can be installed in each. I have that setup
    and
    both BIOS and Vista-64 can see all 8 GB.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Evert

    DaveW Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    The bottom line is that ANY 32 bit OS that you use, such as XP or Vista 32
    bit, will ONLY recognize up to 3.2 GB of RAM. Regardless of the
    motherboard. It is a design limitation of the OS. IF you install a 64 bit
    CPU and OS on a 64 bit capable moteherboard THEN you can access the full 4
    GB, and more.

    --
    ---------------------
    DaveW

    ---------------------

    DaveW, Oct 17, 2007
  6. Evert

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    64 bit Linux? As one of Gilda Radner's characters said on the original
    Saturday Night Live, "Never mind."

    It appears that the BIOS settings on that compact PC may leave something to
    be desired. I dunno about the memory hole feature. Vista 64 doesn't need it,
    at least on my Intel P35 chipset system.

    I agree that the AOpen help desk response was probably nonsense. You asked
    them a question that their scripts don't cover, so they made something up.
    (I'd be pleased to be proven wrong on that.)

    "Evert" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > Thanks for the swift and thorough reply. Yes, I forgot to mention my CPU &
    > OS. The system
    > has a Q6600 (quad core CPU) and I am running 64-bit Linux on this machine.
    > The BIOS
    > reports on startup Total Memory: 4119552KB.
    >
    > In my opinion the info the AOpen helpdesk gave me doesn't make sense...
    > In other places I've been told to check in the bios for memory mapping /
    > memory hole
    > settings, but the bios of the EU965 has no options whatsoever here...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Evert

    (snip)

    Bob Knowlden, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Evert

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    Bullshit. XP users report 3.1X GB, which is documented in MS KB article.
    Other OSs report more - 4GB minus whatever the BIOS/chipset reserves for PCI-*.

    Eric Gisin, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Evert

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Evert wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Thanks for the swift and thorough reply. Yes, I forgot to mention my CPU & OS. The system
    > has a Q6600 (quad core CPU) and I am running 64-bit Linux on this machine. The BIOS
    > reports on startup Total Memory: 4119552KB.
    >
    > In my opinion the info the AOpen helpdesk gave me doesn't make sense...
    > In other places I've been told to check in the bios for memory mapping / memory hole
    > settings, but the bios of the EU965 has no options whatsoever here...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Evert

    I'm running a 64-bit Linux here too, Ubuntu 7.04. I've got a 4.0GB
    installed too, and Linux sees approx 3.9GB (reduced due mainly to the
    shared RAM for the integrated video). The same machine runs 32-bit XP,
    and during that time it seems only 3.0GB (i.e. approx. 3,200MB), due to
    32-bit limitations. What the Aopen tech support told you is only
    relevant in 32-bit operating systems. Did you tell them that you're
    running a 64-bit Linux, or did you keep that hidden like you did with us?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 18, 2007
  9. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > Evert wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Thanks for the swift and thorough reply. Yes, I forgot to mention my
    >> CPU & OS. The system
    >> has a Q6600 (quad core CPU) and I am running 64-bit Linux on this
    >> machine. The BIOS
    >> reports on startup Total Memory: 4119552KB.
    >>
    >> In my opinion the info the AOpen helpdesk gave me doesn't make sense...
    >> In other places I've been told to check in the bios for memory mapping
    >> / memory hole
    >> settings, but the bios of the EU965 has no options whatsoever here...
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Evert

    > I'm running a 64-bit Linux here too, Ubuntu 7.04. I've got a 4.0GB
    > installed too, and Linux sees approx 3.9GB (reduced due mainly to the
    > shared RAM for the integrated video). The same machine runs 32-bit XP,
    > and during that time it seems only 3.0GB (i.e. approx. 3,200MB), due to
    > 32-bit limitations. What the Aopen tech support told you is only
    > relevant in 32-bit operating systems. Did you tell them that you're
    > running a 64-bit Linux, or did you keep that hidden like you did with us?

    Well, keep it hidden... I just forgot to mention it... ;-)

    No, AOpen knew from the beginning that I'm using a 64-bit OS. Their initial suggestion was
    that I should try the system with 64-bit Vista instead, and see how much memory that
    reports...

    since my system a) does not have a CD-ROM/DVD and b) I dislike M$ products
    I have not explored that option. But I will in this weekend try a different Linux distro
    from a USB-stick. Who knows...?

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Evert

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    Here is what I posted Aug 21:

    The Pentium architecture supports 4GB of memory space. Chipsets limit physical RAM.
    Intel supports 4GB in the 450 server chipsets, and starting with the 865 desktop chipset.

    If you have 4GB RAM, a portion has to be disabled for PCI and system purposes.
    If you are interested in how this is done, you must download
    "Intel(R) Chipset 4 GB System Memory Support White Paper"
    from http://www.polywell.com/us/support/faq/4GB_Rev1.pdf .

    You can fire up Device Manager and view resources by type - Memory.
    The entry for PCI Bus shows the RAM-PCI boundry (TOUD/TOLD in chipset).
    This is mostly set up by the BIOS, and retrieved with INT15 E820h and ACPI.
    I gather most systems will reserve 256MB, 512MB with PCIe, or 1GB with large video.

    Eric Gisin, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Evert

    Nate Edel Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips DaveW <> wrote:
    > The bottom line is that ANY 32 bit OS that you use, such as XP or Vista 32
    > bit, will ONLY recognize up to 3.2 GB of RAM. Regardless of the
    > motherboard. It is a design limitation of the OS. IF you install a 64 bit
    > CPU and OS on a 64 bit capable moteherboard THEN you can access the full 4
    > GB, and more.

    Well, for values of "ANY 32 bit OS" that actually means "any 32-bit desktop
    version of Windows."

    Some 32-bit versions of Windows 2000/2003 server support PAE for > 4gb of
    memory, and x86 Linux supports > 4gb of memory (although not all
    distributions enable it.)

    This is separate from motherboard limits.

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
    preferred email | "With all the accumulated wit and wisdom in the

    Nate Edel, Oct 18, 2007
  12. Evert

    krw Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Bullshit. XP users report 3.1X GB, which is documented in MS KB article.

    Huh? Last I checked 3.1GB < 3.2GB. Hardly a "bullshit" offense.

    > Other OSs report more - 4GB minus whatever the BIOS/chipset reserves for PCI-*.

    I've never seen one that didn't virtualize the I/O addresses, as well
    as itself (I.e. allows, say, >3.5GB). The docs on my ThinkPad say
    it'll only use 3GB with XP, though one can plug 4GB (so I only
    plugged 3 ;).

    Top-posting makes responding tough. Was that your plan?

    <snipped top-poster's misplaced quotations>

    --
    Keith

    krw, Oct 19, 2007
  13. Evert

    Eric Gisin Guest

    "krw" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Bullshit. XP users report 3.1X GB, which is documented in MS KB article.

    > Huh? Last I checked 3.1GB < 3.2GB. Hardly a "bullshit" offense.

    It's documented as a "feature" of XP, not of the hardware.

    >> Other OSs report more - 4GB minus whatever the BIOS/chipset reserves for PCI-*.

    > I've never seen one that didn't virtualize the I/O addresses, as well
    > as itself (I.e. allows, say, >3.5GB). The docs on my ThinkPad say
    > it'll only use 3GB with XP, though one can plug 4GB (so I only
    > plugged 3 ;).

    No, other OSs report what the hardware sets up. This is more than 3.12GB of XP.

    > Top-posting makes responding tough. Was that your plan?

    Fucking moron. Deal with it.

    > <snipped top-poster's misplaced quotations>

    More stuff from my Aug posting (SP2 reduced avail memory):

    All versions of 32-bit Windows should make this RAM available,
    but XP SP2 seems to be limited to 3.12GB or less.
    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137, The amount of RAM reported by the System Properties
    dialog box and the System Information tool is less than you expect after you install Windows XP
    Service Pack 2. I don't really understand this restriction.

    Eric Gisin, Oct 19, 2007
  14. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > Here is what I posted Aug 21:
    >
    > The Pentium architecture supports 4GB of memory space. Chipsets limit
    > physical RAM.
    > Intel supports 4GB in the 450 server chipsets, and starting with the 865
    > desktop chipset.
    >
    > If you have 4GB RAM, a portion has to be disabled for PCI and system
    > purposes.
    > If you are interested in how this is done, you must download
    > "Intel(R) Chipset 4 GB System Memory Support White Paper"
    > from http://www.polywell.com/us/support/faq/4GB_Rev1.pdf .

    Thanks for that PDF. I passed it on to the AOpen people. Hopefully they will finally admit
    their BIOS is cr*p, and fix it... :-/

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert, Oct 19, 2007
  15. Evert

    Tom Lake Guest

    "krw" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Bullshit. XP users report 3.1X GB, which is documented in MS KB article.

    > Huh? Last I checked 3.1GB < 3.2GB. Hardly a "bullshit" offense.
    >
    >> Other OSs report more - 4GB minus whatever the BIOS/chipset reserves for
    >> PCI-*.

    > I've never seen one that didn't virtualize the I/O addresses, as well
    > as itself (I.e. allows, say, >3.5GB). The docs on my ThinkPad say
    > it'll only use 3GB with XP, though one can plug 4GB (so I only
    > plugged 3 ;).

    As long as your mobo doesn't support dual-channel RAM, that's OK but
    you'd lose performance plugging in 3GB on some systems. (Unless it's
    1GB, 1GB, 512MB, 512MB)

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Oct 19, 2007
  16. Evert

    Gary Seven Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    krw <> wrote:
    : In article <>,
    : says...
    :
    : Huh? Last I checked 3.1GB < 3.2GB. Hardly a "bullshit"
    : offense.

    Exactly my thoughts. But this is Eric Gisin posting...this lamer's been
    trolling Usenet for years.
    :
    :: Other OSs report more - 4GB minus whatever the BIOS/chipset
    :: reserves for PCI-*.
    :
    : I've never seen one that didn't virtualize the I/O addresses,
    : as well as itself (I.e. allows, say, >3.5GB). The docs on my
    : ThinkPad say it'll only use 3GB with XP, though one can plug
    : 4GB (so I only plugged 3 ;).
    :
    : Top-posting makes responding tough. Was that your plan?

    He's a classic troll and top poster. He loves to start his top-posted
    replies with "Bullshit..." and then blah blah blah. The guy's a complete
    asshole...a real moron. I wish he'd just crawl back under the f**king rock
    he lives in (er, under).

    G7

    Gary Seven, Oct 19, 2007
  17. Evert

    krw Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    In article <ffaklg$3pd$>, says...

    > "krw" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Bullshit. XP users report 3.1X GB, which is documented in MS KB article.

    > > Huh? Last I checked 3.1GB < 3.2GB. Hardly a "bullshit" offense.
    > >
    > >> Other OSs report more - 4GB minus whatever the BIOS/chipset reserves for
    > >> PCI-*.

    > > I've never seen one that didn't virtualize the I/O addresses, as well
    > > as itself (I.e. allows, say, >3.5GB). The docs on my ThinkPad say
    > > it'll only use 3GB with XP, though one can plug 4GB (so I only
    > > plugged 3 ;).

    > As long as your mobo doesn't support dual-channel RAM, that's OK but
    > you'd lose performance plugging in 3GB on some systems. (Unless it's
    > 1GB, 1GB, 512MB, 512MB)

    I thought of that before I bought the 2GB stick. According to all
    the information I can find it doesn't support dual-channel, which
    surprised me, since it is a dual-core (useless on a laptop, IMO). I
    guess they don't support dual core because it is a laptop.

    --
    Keith

    krw, Oct 20, 2007
  18. Evert

    Nate Edel Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips krw <> wrote:
    > In article <ffaklg$3pd$>, says...
    > > As long as your mobo doesn't support dual-channel RAM, that's OK but
    > > you'd lose performance plugging in 3GB on some systems. (Unless it's
    > > 1GB, 1GB, 512MB, 512MB)

    > I thought of that before I bought the 2GB stick. According to all
    > the information I can find it doesn't support dual-channel, which
    > surprised me, since it is a dual-core (useless on a laptop, IMO). I
    > guess they don't support dual core because it is a laptop.

    AMD-based or Intel? Most recent Intel-chipset laptops do support dual
    channel memory, although the performance benefit is limited. I'm not sure
    about AMD-chipset ones.

    Why do you find dual core useless on a laptop? It seems like a big win to
    me on both general responsiveness and throughput, and the power consumption
    is improved (although since that also reflects generational differences, a
    "Core 2 Solo" might be better still.)

    Nate Edel, Oct 20, 2007
  19. Evert

    krw Guest

    Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips krw <> wrote:
    > > In article <ffaklg$3pd$>, says...
    > > > As long as your mobo doesn't support dual-channel RAM, that's OK but
    > > > you'd lose performance plugging in 3GB on some systems. (Unless it's
    > > > 1GB, 1GB, 512MB, 512MB)

    > > I thought of that before I bought the 2GB stick. According to all
    > > the information I can find it doesn't support dual-channel, which
    > > surprised me, since it is a dual-core (useless on a laptop, IMO). I
    > > guess they don't support dual core because it is a laptop.

    > AMD-based or Intel? Most recent Intel-chipset laptops do support dual
    > channel memory, although the performance benefit is limited. I'm not sure
    > about AMD-chipset ones.

    Intel (ThinkPad).

    > Why do you find dual core useless on a laptop? It seems like a big win to
    > me on both general responsiveness and throughput, and the power consumption
    > is improved (although since that also reflects generational differences, a
    > "Core 2 Solo" might be better still.)

    I've never noticed a difference on a desktop[*]. Performance isn't
    the primary concern for laptops.

    [*] I didn't notice dual core, either. My work ThinkPad T43 was
    faster than my T60. My wife's T60 is no more responsive (though to
    be fair, she is still saddled with Vista).

    --
    Keith

    krw, Oct 21, 2007
  20. Evert

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > "krw" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> Bullshit. XP users report 3.1X GB, which is documented in MS KB article.

    >> Huh? Last I checked 3.1GB < 3.2GB. Hardly a "bullshit" offense.

    > It's documented as a "feature" of XP, not of the hardware.

    The original responder (DaveW) had said XP sees only 3.2GB, whereas you
    responded that XP only sees 3.1GB. First it's not that big of a
    difference. Second were you offended that he overestimated it or did you
    think he underestimated it? From my perspective, on XP, I see 3221225472
    bytes, which is actually 3.0 GiB (binary Gigabytes).

    >> Top-posting makes responding tough. Was that your plan?
    >>

    > Fucking moron. Deal with it.

    Oh boy, here we go. The real purpose of Usenet newsgroups.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 21, 2007