    affordable to provide power they need, both 32MB on card models are not
    recommended" . Radeon 9700 or 9200 have at least 128Mb. Any ideas?

    Rafal
    socket7!, May 8, 2004

  2. socket7!

    farmuse Guest

    I wouldn't do it, may fry the motherboard ; I mean if you cant run a
    voodoo 3 3000 on a PA 2013 or 503+ then I seriously doubt they are going
    to tolerate a more modern card. But I could be wrong about that. The
    other is, why ? why waste a radeon 9700 on at best a 600 MHz machine
    with only AGP x2 ? but good thread question ~

    farmuse, May 10, 2004

  3. Actually, I do seem to remember someone in this newsgroup a while back who had a
    Radeon 9800SE running on his VA-503+ or VA-503A. I do not remember which one,
    but it was definitely one of those, as I was surprised that it would actually
    work.

    The highest AGP card I have ever tried myself on a VA-503A is a Geforce4 MX 420
    64MB, which works just fine. The highest I have ever tried for a 503+ is a
    Geforce2 GTS 32MB, which also worked fine. It may also depend on the version of
    VA-503A you have.

    I agree with farmuse that this graphics card is pretty much overkill for whatever
    CPU you have right now. If you can get it for cheap or plan on upgrading to a
    new motherboard/CPU in the near future, though, I can see the point in trying it.

    Unfortunately, I do not have a concrete answer one way or another. That is about
    all I can tell you right now. If you do decide to try it, please let us know
    your results.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, May 10, 2004
  4. socket7!

    Robert Akins Guest

    FIC's video card compatibility information for the VA-503+/PA-2013/VA-503A
    is all extremely outdated. They pretty much ended with the Voodoo 3 series
    cards which is where people were having compatibility problems (3500).
    Newer video cards such as the Geforce cards and the Radeon cards use less
    power (for the most part) than their predecessors. However, even if it
    would work, putting a Radeon 9700 Pro into a VA-503A would be like putting a
    KB Hemi into a Volkswagen Bug. I would think that something like a Radeon
    7500 or GF2 MX440 or similar would be sufficient. Certainly you wouldn't be
    able to use all the graphics ability of a Radeon 9200SE even.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, May 12, 2004
  5. socket7!

    socket7! Guest

    I know that 9700pro is too much for socket7, I'm simply curious how fast my
    system can be when upgrading to radeon. I'm currently having k6 3 400 and
    mx400 ono pci, va503a 1.3. In 3dmark 2001 I was able to reach 1250 p. On my
    2nd system: Athlon 1GHz and v3 3000 agp I got close to 2000 which was enough
    to play most modern games. I will apreciate if anyone can post his
    benchmarks on socket7 with indication of video card used. It might be
    interesting to know, to what extend a slow CPU is a limiting factor.

    Rafal

    U¿ytkownik "Robert Akins" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

    socket7!, May 15, 2004
  6. socket7!

    edi Guest

    Whell 'guess, that new cards havin' much RAM as 128 MB require more power
    for it, so they thought of a way to achieve this is that you plug in it the
    floppy power cable in then. It depends on witch PSU you got. It will be
    obvious what to do when you got it in your hands, and see the card.
    Guys don't be ashamed of your CPU-s, as the pixes shader technology and
    similar in DX9
    makes these vga-s do all the work by them selves.
    I had a 9800SE on my va503+ and it ran futuremark2003 smooth as it could
    on it's own and it should run also any DX9 app. But in a real life situation
    (read 'game'), application preformance depends on how much memory alocations
    it requires for it's objects, meanin' in games units and memory translations
    for thoes fancy textures. This matter depends on max. mem. bandwith that
    your sys. can achieve.
    So we have a crossroad here witch way your'e goinn' the (highway or is
    it our way).
    Let's say U got yourself a sata controller and acompaning sata HDD, new
    pc100 or 133 RAM and it just may be close to it (of course 512 MB of RAM)
    Liker my PC, I'm enjoyin' promise ata 100 controler with ata 100 HDD, and
    2x128 MB RAM, runnin' XP.
    edi, May 22, 2004