    it won't boot, the LED says "F". Is it faulty?
    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Nigel M

    Lazarus Guest

    do the fans go on etc

    by "no boot" do you mean you have no picture but everything else seems fine?

    what vga card are you using?

    i couldnt boot with a radeon but did with a ti4200

    the display should say "FF" when everything is normal.

    Lazarus, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Nigel M

    Nigel M Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

    >do the fans go on etc

    Yes.

    >by "no boot" do you mean you have no picture but everything else seems fine?

    No beeps, no video. Haven't got as far as attaching a drive to it.

    >what vga card are you using?

    Matrox Parhelia, but even without it there is no beep.

    >the display should say "FF" when everything is normal.

    Should the display change as it boots? It seems to say "F", but closer
    inspection shows that the second digit is also F, but lower brightness.

    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Nigel M

    Lazarus Guest

    forget about the beeps you dont get them until you load bios defaults IIRC

    What I do know is that I had the same as as you and I got no beeps either
    until I finally accessed the bios.

    Try a different graffix card. It wouldnt work with my ati radeon and the
    card was fine and met all specs so a mate of mine said "look at the way they
    sell g force cards I`ll bet a ti4200 will work"

    So I bought one and it did first time!

    So try another vga card!

    Lazarus, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Nigel M

    Nigel M Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

    >So try another vga card!

    But shouldn't I see some activity on the LED without any cards in?

    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Nigel M

    Lazarus Guest

    I cant remember mate! Again, maybe it doesnt work right until you load bios
    defaults.

    Try swapping the vga card! 1.5v only remember!

    .............I just searched through my email from the time I couldnt get a
    picture either and the post DID display FF

    BUT I would still try another vga card if I were you because this board is
    pure class when you get it going!

    Lazarus, Aug 29, 2004
  7. Nigel M

    Nigel M Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

    >BUT I would still try another vga card if I were you because this board is
    >pure class when you get it going!

    I've tried another card (an old TNT2), same result ;-)

    Any other suggestions? Something obvious that I've forgotten to do?

    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 29, 2004
  8. Nigel M

    Lazarus Guest

    No I`m out of ideas.

    Tried ram in another slot? (I`m clutching at straws here.....)

    You could try chaintech support....sometimes they are good sometimes not but
    they reply quite quick...usually within 24 hrs

    Do you have different ram you could try because bad ram can cause the exact
    same symptom ......I was working on a build using a asus board and I kept
    thinking it was the graffic card.....it was the same thing....no beeps but
    motherboard appeared alive........then I discovered it had a voice post
    system and plugged a speaker in the back of the board only to hear the woman
    tell me "memory check fail"

    replaced the ram and everything lit up as it should

    Lazarus, Aug 29, 2004
  9. Nigel M

    Nigel M Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

    >Do you have different ram you could try because bad ram

    The RAM works OK in another system. It's Corsair VS512MB400.

    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 29, 2004
  10. Nigel M

    Lazarus Guest

    Heres a strange one for you then

    I too have a 512mb pc2100 ram

    BUT

    If you look at the manual it says that ddr400 on a p4 2ghz and with an 875p
    chipset is NOT supported

    Page 9 of the manual

    Could this be anything to do with it? Like I said mine worked ok with same
    setup as you but check the manual for yourself

    If all else fails mention this to chaintech support and see what they say!

    Lazarus, Aug 29, 2004
  11. Nigel M

    Lazarus Guest

    fsb 400 I mean is not supported on 875p at 2ghz

    Lazarus, Aug 29, 2004
  12. Nigel M

    Nigel M Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

    >fsb 400 I mean is not supported on 875p at 2ghz

    That's a good point, I hadn't spotted this - on page 1 it says that it
    supports 400MHz bus.

    I'll wait until I get my 3.2GHz 800MHz CPU next week.

    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 29, 2004
  13. Nigel M

    bp Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:59:45 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus" <> wrote:

    >You could try chaintech support....sometimes they are good sometimes not but
    >they reply quite quick...usually within 24 hrs

    BS I filled out a help request 2 weeks ago and still haven't hear from
    them . I returned there lame board.

    bp, Aug 29, 2004
  14. Nigel M

    Lazarus Guest

    Let me know mate!

    Lazarus, Aug 30, 2004
  15. Nigel M

    Nigel M Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, bp wrote:

    >BS I filled out a help request 2 weeks ago and still haven't hear from
    >them . I returned there lame board.

    I got a reply within an hour. They asked what CPU I was using, so I
    downloaded "PC Wizard 2004" from www.cpuid.com. This confirmed that it
    is a "Willamette", so isn't supported by the 875 chipset. D'OH!

    I'll wait until I get my new CPU tomorrow, I just hope it hasn't done
    any damage.

    Lazarus, thanks for all the help, sorry to have wasted your time.

    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 30, 2004
  16. Nigel M

    Nigel M Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Nigel M wrote:

    >I'll wait until I get my new CPU tomorrow

    All sorted, but got another problem now (see new thread).

    --
    Nigel Mercier

    Nigel M, Aug 31, 2004