    So I'm wondering if anyone else has got the on-board sound working
    under Win98SE? And if so, how?

    Thanks for any ideas!
    Ian, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    > I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.

    Oops! That should of course say "VIA", not "ATI".
    Ian, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Ian

    Ginchy Guest

    I use win98se with the board and had no problems?

    After I loaded win98se i didnt let it load any drivers i just cancelled out
    and let the desktop load

    Then I insalled all the drivers from the chaintech disc one at a time in the
    order they were on the menu.

    Cant think of anything except try to uninstall everything in safe mode and
    reload the drivers.....remove the soundcard in device manager and remove all
    traces of the driver. Then when windows detects new hardware on reboot dont
    let it look for anything just cancel it and let desktop load.........then
    use the chaintech disc to reinstall the drivers.

    Thats all I can think of.

    Ginchy, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Ian

    Ginchy Guest

    Hang on a minute....what audio deck???

    I didnt get any software installed other than the driver........this makes
    me think you installed the wrong setup ?

    Ginchy, Dec 25, 2003
  5. Ian

    Ginchy Guest

    ok I found audio rack and when i installed it it opens up ok but i get an
    error msg saying "cannot execute all of the components of Audio Rack. Please
    check program files and registry setting or just reinstall Audio Rack"

    hmmm

    tried it again and got same message but it does appear to work fine
    regardless!

    Ginchy, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Thanks, at least I now know it can work under Win98SE :)

    At first, I suspected it may have been due to IRQ conflicts (for some
    reason a load of things are assigned to share IRQs, while leaving IRQ
    6 & 12 empty!). But even after disabling things (eg. LAN) to have the
    audio on it's own IRQ, it still doesn't work. Can you tell me what
    IRQs you have everything on? The audio shares IRQ 11 with the Intel
    gigabit LAN here. These are all my IRQs:

    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    3 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    5 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
    5 Creative SB Audigy
    6 (free)
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    10 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
    10 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
    10 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM
    11 Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Desktop Connection
    12 (free)
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

    Btw, have you tried the latest drivers from VIA?

    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=327

    Ian, Dec 25, 2003
  7. Ian

    Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Chaintech 9CJS mobo with Windows 98SE, and I'm having trouble
    > getting the on-board sound to work.
    >
    > The drivers are apparently installed ok - the "Envy24 Family Audio
    > Controller WDM" device is listed in the Device Manager, and it says
    > "The device is working properly". But no playback (or recording)
    > device shows up in the Multimedia Properties. Also, if I try to run
    > the "Envy Audio Deck", nothing happens (no window appears).
    >
    > I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.
    >
    > So I'm wondering if anyone else has got the on-board sound working
    > under Win98SE? And if so, how?

    You are of course using speakers with a built in amplifier aren't you?

    --
    Conor

    "Cogito Eggo Sum" - "I think, therefore I am a waffle"
    Conor, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Ian

    Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Thanks, at least I now know it can work under Win98SE :)
    >
    > At first, I suspected it may have been due to IRQ conflicts (for some
    > reason a load of things are assigned to share IRQs, while leaving IRQ
    > 6 & 12 empty!). But even after disabling things (eg. LAN) to have the
    > audio on it's own IRQ, it still doesn't work. Can you tell me what
    > IRQs you have everything on? The audio shares IRQ 11 with the Intel
    > gigabit LAN here. These are all my IRQs:

    > 5 Creative SB Audigy

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    So you're trying to run two soundcards in one box?

    Conor, Dec 26, 2003
  9. Ian

    Ginchy Guest

    you have a soundblaster installed?? isnt this whats messing things up? have
    you tried the onboard sound after removing the audigy?

    Your IRQ`s are different from mine ......envy 24 is on irq 11 but its not
    shared with the gigabyte lan(in fact i disabled this in the bios as my
    normal network would not work with both installed?)

    How can I easily copy and paste my irq`s without having to type it cause i
    have a whole lot more than you.

    ok i sussed it

    0 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    0 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3
    5 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    5 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
    5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    9 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
    9 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
    9 Inno3D GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 MPU-401 Compatible
    11 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    11 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    11 Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM
    11 Intel USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    11 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

    Ginchy, Dec 26, 2003
  10. Ian

    Ian Guest

    "Ginchy" <> wrote in message news:<bsgdtc$nt3$>...
    > you have a soundblaster installed?? isnt this whats messing things up? have
    > you tried the onboard sound after removing the audigy?

    I've tried removing the Audigy, and also disabling the LAN and USB in
    the BIOS, but with no luck.

    Conor <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > You are of course using speakers with a built in amplifier aren't you?

    The problem is that nothing shows up in the playback or recording
    device lists, so I can't even select the soundcard as my "preferred
    device". As I mentioned, "Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM" does
    show up in the Device Manager though, and is apparently "working
    properly". It's very strange.
    Ian, Dec 26, 2003
  11. Ian

    Ian Guest

    It's working now! Re-installing Win98SE over itself did the trick.
    Ian, Dec 27, 2003
  12. Ian

    Ginchy Guest

    Thats brilliant Ian but here is something.............I dont think we are
    supposed to use that audio rack stuff.

    As you know I tried installing it and I told you about the error but it
    seemed to be wroking ok.

    When I wrote that I still had the prog open but later on when I closed it I
    had a bad crash. After this I found that the handigator didnt work any more.
    I eventually discovered that there was a missing driver in device manager.
    It is called USB composite. The only way I could reinstall this "unknown
    device" was by removing the 6 in 1 drivers and then reinstalling them.

    BUT ..........I think it all centres around this audio rack software. I dont
    think its meant to be used. It doesnt mention it in the manual so maybe its
    actually for a different board with a different sound implimentation?

    OR.....are you saying that you now also have the audio rack software working
    ok too?

    Ginchy, Dec 27, 2003
  13. Ian

    Ian Guest

    "Ginchy" <> wrote in message news:<bskh93$ba7$>...
    > OR.....are you saying that you now also have the audio rack software working
    > ok too?

    No, the Audio Rack in the control panel still does nothing - no window
    or error or anything. Btw, are you able to set the speaker config to
    7.1 in the Audio Deck? It only goes upto 5.1 here.

    Another little thing I was wondering about... when the PC is shutdown,
    the HD light stays dimly lit. Does that happen there too?
    Ian, Dec 28, 2003
  14. Ian

    Chaintechee Guest

    Ian,

    I use an SB Live and the Envy 24 side-by-side without problems. I would
    suggest two potential remedies.

    First, ensure that the BIOS is set for the OS to assign resources. Second,
    ensure that ESCD is set to reset on next boot. This will clear any
    configuration assumptions and allow the entire system to reseek and
    reconfigure from the bootstrap.

    Also, when deleting the hardware, do it from Safe mode. You may see
    multiple driver versions, for which you should delete them all then restart.
    Windows Update does offer Envy drivers, which may at least ensure that in a
    WHQL environment, your device may function.

    If that fails, I would remove the Audigy, get the Envy to work (via same
    steps) and then reinstall the Audigy when the Envy is up and fully running.
    According to PnP theory, the Audigy should add itself to the system around
    what you already have, or at least make no more accommodations as are
    absolutely required.

    Those who suggest just pulling the Envy don't understand the value of a
    second card. For example, I use my Envy to drive (and record from) a 7.1
    home theater setup in the adjacent living room (via RF remote), while the SB
    Live is for the 5.1 environment in my home office. Too bad Chaintech didn't
    go with the Cadillac of sound like they did with every other packaged
    option. : (

    Hope this helps whomever may need it.

    Chaintechee, Dec 30, 2003