9NPA+Ultra Won't Start

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Jack Spencer, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Jack Spencer

    Jack Spencer Guest

    Assembled new system on Dec. 20 with Athlon FX X2 4200, and two 512MB
    Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if the ram is dual channel or
    not. When I start the system, it runs maybe 0.5 sec, then shuts down.
    Dimm and chip LED's light, but CPU LED does not. All fans start to
    run. System will not attempt restart until power supply is switched
    off. It can't be a heat problem, as the heatsink has no chance to warm
    up. I reseated the CPU, heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all
    connections. Tried each of 2 sticks of ram, which work in another
    computer, and tried different dimm slots. I have tried restarting about
    12 times. System has never run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post,
    beeps, bios or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
    probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact tech support,
    but lost my login PW and can't seem to raise them by email.

    Looking for suggestions.

    1. Advertising

  2. Wow... I put together a new machine yesterday as well and initially had the exact same problem. Lights and fans would come on for one secong and shut down. I needed to unplug the PSU for it to try again. I finally fixed it by wiggling the ATX connector a bit and the power stays on...

    BUT

    The machine will not POST. This is my 2nd build with the 9NPA+ Ultra and 3800 X2. The first machine is rock solid at 2.54ghz. Runs like a dream.

    Here is the post I was about to put up here before I saw your message:

    Hi everyone...

    I just put all of the parts for a new build together today. It's for a colleague, and I pretty much duplicated the components of my current machine:

    3800 X2
    Epox 9NPA+ Ultra
    LSI SCSI cxontroller
    Nvdia Quatro video
    2x512 Patriot CAS 2.5
    Enermax 460W PSU

    Unlike the first machine, which started right up, this one won't boot. With the 2 sticks in, I get a long beep and the LED code C1, which is memory detection related according to the Epox manual. With one stick in, the error code is 03 "Initial Superio_Early_Init_switch" Gee, that helps a lot.

    I took the board out of the box and tried with just mem + video caard. Same results.

    I tried using the identical Patriot modules from my machine with the same results.

    Shall I assume this is a bad board and RMA, or are there any other things I can try first? Any advice appreciated. Thanks...

    Given that we're both kinda in the same boat, I'm suspecting a bad batch of boards out there. I'm going to RMA mine back to ChiefValue tomorrow and try a replacement. I like this board a lot... but reading reviews at Newegg, it seems that quite a few people have had ones that were DOA or flaky.

    Sorry I don't have any answers... since I have a similar problem... Try fiddling with the cable into the ATX connector and see if that helps you power up...

    Dennis

    "Jack Spencer" <> wrote in message news:8ylqf.41329$ih5.41010@dukeread11...
[...]

  3. Jack Spencer

    Jack Spencer Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I got mine from Chief Value also! EPoX tech
    support seems non-existant - no contact after 2 days of trying. Guess I
    will RMA mine too.

    Dennis Gordon wrote:

> [...]
    > 512MB Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if the ram is dual
    > channel or not. When I start the system, it runs maybe 0.5 sec,
    > then shuts down. Dimm and chip LED's light, but CPU LED does
    > not. All fans start to run. System will not attempt restart
    > until power supply is switched off. It can't be a heat problem,
    > as the heatsink has no chance to warm up. I reseated the CPU,
    > heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all connections. Tried
    > each of 2 sticks of ram, which work in another computer, and tried
    > different dimm slots. I have tried restarting about 12 times.
    > System has never run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post,
    > beeps, bios or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
    > probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact tech
    > support, but lost my login PW and can't seem to raise them by email.

  4. This sounds eerily like my last 2 days...;-) I'm returning mine today unless some miracle happens...

    Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

  5. h2so4

    h2so4 Guest

    I've just assembled a system using the Epox 9NPA+Ultra. I found that using the Corsair TwinXL 3200 Pro my Epox system suffered from random BSODs and other problems unless I underclocked the Corsair RAM from 400Mhz to 333Mhz. The Corsair memory was not faulty and had worked for 2 years in a Pentium system. I swapped my RAM out for 2Gb Patriot 3200LLK and my system now runs very well. You might try upping your DIMM voltage to 2.75 or 2.8 volts.

    Good luck.

    Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

  6. Thanks for the advice, but our problems are with boards that won't get that far. I'm running Patriot DDR as well (good stuff) but it doesn't do much good if you can't POST...

    Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

  7. Jack Spencer

    Jack Spencer Guest

    I heard from EPoX tech support today. Here is their reply:

    "Dear Sir
    Where are your location,Please let me know about your
    CPU(ADAxxxxxxxxxx) code and memory type.
    Please try to use one dimm memory for your issue chewck again.
    Please try to do this and let me know above information for your issue
    analyzed.

    Thank you for your interest in EPoX products and contacting our support
    department. If you reply ensure to include all previous E-mail text. It will
    prevent unnecessary delays and guarantee the fastest possible response.

    Best Regards,"

    Dennis Gordon wrote:

> [...]
    >> Assembled new system on Dec. 20 with Athlon FX X2 4200,
    >> and two 512MB Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if
    >> the ram is dual channel or not. When I start the system,
    >> it runs maybe 0.5 sec, then shuts down. Dimm and chip
    >> LED's light, but CPU LED does not. All fans start to
    >> run. System will not attempt restart until power supply
    >> is switched off. It can't be a heat problem, as the
    >> heatsink has no chance to warm up. I reseated the CPU,
    >> heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all
    >> connections. Tried each of 2 sticks of ram, which work
    >> in another computer, and tried different dimm slots. I
    >> have tried restarting about 12 times. System has never
    >> run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post, beeps, bios
    >> or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
    >> probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact
    >> tech support, but lost my login PW and can't seem to

  8. Well that clears it up....;-)

    Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

  9. Well that clears it up....;-)

    Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

  10. DaveL

    DaveL Guest

    Could be a bad or inadequate PSU.

    DaveL

    "Jack Spencer" <> wrote in message
    > Assembled new system on Dec. 20 with Athlon FX X2 4200, and two 512MB
    > Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if the ram is dual channel or
    > not. When I start the system, it runs maybe 0.5 sec, then shuts down.
    > Dimm and chip LED's light, but CPU LED does not. All fans start to
    > run. System will not attempt restart until power supply is switched
    > off. It can't be a heat problem, as the heatsink has no chance to warm
    > up. I reseated the CPU, heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all
    > connections. Tried each of 2 sticks of ram, which work in another
    > computer, and tried different dimm slots. I have tried restarting about
    > 12 times. System has never run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post,
    > beeps, bios or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
    > probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact tech support,
    > but lost my login PW and can't seem to raise them by email.
    >
    > Looking for suggestions.

  11. Jack Spencer

    Jack Spencer Guest

    I doubt it. Antec 450 watt, but I really should check the output
    voltages on the CPU power pins.

    DaveL wrote:

    > Could be a bad or inadequate PSU.
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "Jack Spencer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Assembled new system on Dec. 20 with Athlon FX X2 4200, and two 512MB
    >> Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if the ram is dual channel or
    >> not. When I start the system, it runs maybe 0.5 sec, then shuts down.
    >> Dimm and chip LED's light, but CPU LED does not. All fans start to
    >> run. System will not attempt restart until power supply is switched
    >> off. It can't be a heat problem, as the heatsink has no chance to warm
    >> up. I reseated the CPU, heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all
    >> connections. Tried each of 2 sticks of ram, which work in another
    >> computer, and tried different dimm slots. I have tried restarting about
    >> 12 times. System has never run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post,
    >> beeps, bios or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
    >> probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact tech support,
    >> but lost my login PW and can't seem to raise them by email.
    >>
    >> Looking for suggestions.

  12. Well I just RMA returned mine and bought another from Newegg. Computers... gotta love 'em...

    DaveL wrote:
[...]

  13. Well I just RMA returned mine and bought another from Newegg. Computers... gotta love 'em...

    DaveL wrote:
[...]

  14. Damn double posts...

    DaveL wrote:
[...]

  15. Jack Spencer

    Jack Spencer Guest

    RMA'd mine also. Ordered Asus A8N-E this time.

    Dennis Gordon wrote:

    > Well I just RMA returned mine and bought another from Newegg.
    > Computers... gotta love 'em...
    >

    > "Jack Spencer" < <mailto:>>
    > wrote in message news:VzBqf.41363$ih5.17346@dukeread11...
    > I doubt it. Antec 450 watt, but I really should check the output
    > voltages on the CPU power pins.
    >
    > DaveL wrote:
    >
    >> Could be a bad or inadequate PSU.
    >>
    >> DaveL
    >>

    >> "Jack Spencer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Assembled new system on Dec. 20 with Athlon FX X2 4200, and two
    >>> 512MB
    >>> Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if the ram is dual
    >>> channel or
    >>> not. When I start the system, it runs maybe 0.5 sec, then shuts
    >>> down.
    >>> Dimm and chip LED's light, but CPU LED does not. All fans start to
    >>> run. System will not attempt restart until power supply is
    >>> switched
    >>> off. It can't be a heat problem, as the heatsink has no chance
    >>> to warm
    >>> up. I reseated the CPU, heatsink/fan, vid card, ram.
    >>> Quad-checked all
    >>> connections. Tried each of 2 sticks of ram, which work in another
    >>> computer, and tried different dimm slots. I have tried
    >>> restarting about
    >>> 12 times. System has never run more than 1 sec, so never gets
    >>> to post,
    >>> beeps, bios or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
    >>> probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact tech
    >>> support,
    >>> but lost my login PW and can't seem to raise them by email.
    >>>
    >>> Looking for suggestions.

  16. Good luck with the Asus BTW, I just found out that Newegg and ChiefValue are the same company....

    DaveL wrote:
[...]

  17. Semi Head

    Semi Head Guest

    Mr. Dennis Gordon, please do post the results of how your Epox Mobo
    problem is worked out.

    S_H

    BTW-
    Very soon now, I'll be building a complete AMD_64 desktop system
    including a new case.
    i'm getting most of my system through a company called "mwave.com".
    I've heard nothing but good about mwave.com. Very competive prices too.
    On their website, it states for small fee, they will test certain
    hardware components before shipping (PSU,CPU, MoBo, etc).
    Anyway, for a $9 fee, upon purchase of the AMD_64 CPU & Epox's
    EP-9npa+Ultra Mobo, they assemble & test the marriage of that CPU & MoBo
    before shipping.
    For my peace of mind (ESP. on these two components), $9 is a cheap
    insurance policy.

  18. I returned the faulty board and bought another from Newegg. It's working
    great.

    I used to buy a lot of stuff from Multiwave (Mwave) They're a good company,
    although I do most of my business with Newegg these days....

    "Semi Head" <> wrote in message
    > Mr. Dennis Gordon, please do post the results of how your Epox Mobo
    > problem is worked out.
    >
    > S_H
    >
    > BTW-
    > Very soon now, I'll be building a complete AMD_64 desktop system
    > including a new case.
    > i'm getting most of my system through a company called "mwave.com".
    > I've heard nothing but good about mwave.com. Very competive prices too.
    > On their website, it states for small fee, they will test certain
    > hardware components before shipping (PSU,CPU, MoBo, etc).
    > Anyway, for a $9 fee, upon purchase of the AMD_64 CPU & Epox's
    > EP-9npa+Ultra Mobo, they assemble & test the marriage of that CPU & MoBo
    > before shipping.
    > For my peace of mind (ESP. on these two components), $9 is a cheap
    > insurance policy.

  19. Same here. I used MWave for years, but now I use Newegg almost
    exclusively. I periodically check MWave on the rare occasions when
    Newegg doesn't have the product I want or think the price is a little
    high. But Newegg is still the best deal around, for the most part.

    Regards,

    Margaret