A different D865PERL problem

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Jim, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Wow - someone still has this board! Great! Let me try this one...

    The on board sound function has failed - kinda

    I can use the "SoundMax" software to configure a "4 way stereo"
    speaker system and then the "rear pair" of speakers will provide
    sound. My DVD player software will now provide audio and Foobar2000
    will also play music files since I can tell it to "reverse the front
    and rear" channels.

    My other music/video software (dbpoweramp, WMP) will not provide audio
    because I can't find a front/rear switch within them.

    I've removed the SoundMax software, disabled the on board sound and
    then reinstalled everything (using the lastest audio driver form
    Intel) and - No joy!

    I'm about to throw some cheap sound card in the box but just wanted to
    know if any of you think that the On Board chip could fail in this
    manner or have I just screwup up the drivers in some way.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 31, 2007

  2. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:22:24 -0400, Jim <> wrote:

    >The on board sound function has failed - kinda

    I've never been able to get the audio to work out of the rear channel.
    Only the front channel works. Intel has 6 errata pertaining to audio
    problems on the D865PERL. The feature that all front ports are
    re-assignable doesn't work as claimed and there won't be a fix. Even
    though the specification may say you can configure any front port for any
    device based on what's plugged into the port, the feature doesn't work, and
    there's no fix either. They also have the following for the rear channel
    jacks:

    "6. Advance Jack Sense Will Not Detect Devices Connected to the
    Center/LFE and Surround Ports
    PROBLEM: Polling devices connected to the Center/LFE and Surround port
    would cause popping noise once speakers are connected. Due to this anomaly,
    the advance jack sense wizard will not poll and report devices connected to
    the Center/LFE and Surround ports although these devices will work
    correctly.
    IMPLICATION: Devices connected to the Center/LFE or Surround port will be
    detected and function correctly,but the advance jack sense wizard will not
    poll and report the device.
    WORKAROUND: None.
    STATUS: This erratum will not be fixed."

    My experience is that not only will devices not be detected by the "advance
    jack sense wizard" but the devices won't work either. If you're really
    into audio, save yourself a lot of time and enjoy better audio by disabling
    the on-board audio, and install a PCI sound card.

    https://www.mixmaster.it

    George Orwell, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Jim

    devin1100 Guest

    you say that you disabled the soundcard and reinstalled the drivers.
    do you mean that you went into device manager and uninstalled them o
    just went in there and hit disable?
    I would recomend that if you only disabled it when you reinstalled th
    drivers try actualy uninstalling them. If you did infact uninstall an
    reinstall them then yes your sound card may have some hardware issues.
    But before you throw an old sound card in try downloading an olde
    version of the drivers

    --
    devin1100

    devin1100, Oct 31, 2007