    to be used on a Mac OS X machine.

    Thank you for reading and replying!

    --Roland

    qquito, Jul 18, 2009

  2. qquito

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 00:11:47 -0500, qquito wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > Is there a great and FREE scientific calculator, widget or otherwise,
    > for the Mac OS X (Version 10.5.4) machine?

    The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
    and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not to us
    reverse Polish notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
    active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....

    TaliesinSoft, Jul 18, 2009

  3. qquito

    qquito Guest

    On Jul 18, 1:27 am, TaliesinSoft <> wrote:
    > The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
    > and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not to us
    > reverse Polish  notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
    > active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.
    >
    > --
    > James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....

    Thank you for the reply!

    This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
    mentioned. Could you tell where it is?

    --Roland

    qquito, Jul 18, 2009
  4. qquito

    dockyard Guest

    On Jul 18, 5:33 am, qquito <> wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 1:27 am, TaliesinSoft <> wrote:

    > > The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
    > > and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or notto us
    > > reverse Polish  notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
    > > active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.

    > > --
    > > James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....

    > Thank you for the reply!
    >
    > This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
    > mentioned. Could you tell where it is?
    >
    > --Roland

    Roland Go to finder >applications>calculator>view then select

    dockyard, Jul 18, 2009
  5. In article
    <>,
    qquito <> wrote:

    > So I am wondering if there is any free advanced scientific calculator
    > to be used on a Mac OS X machine.

    Yes, the Calculator application (not the widget) that comes with OS X.

    --
    Member National Rifle Association
    Member American Civil Liberties Union

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 18, 2009
  6. In article
    <>,
    qquito <> wrote:

    > This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
    > mentioned. Could you tell where it is?

    Run the Calculator application; the View menu is between the Edit and
    Convert menus.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 18, 2009
  7. In article <>, qquito <> writes:
    >On Jul 18, 1:27=A0am, TaliesinSoft <> wrote:
    >> The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientif=

    >ic,
    >> and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not t=

    >o us
    >> reverse Polish =A0notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculat=

    >or is
    >> active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.
    >>
    >> --
    >> James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....

    >Thank you for the reply!
    >
    >This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
    >mentioned. Could you tell where it is?

    When the Calculator app is active, the View menu appears in the
    menu bar: Calculator File Edit View Convert Speech Window Help
    Selection under View:

    Basic %1
    Scientific %2
    Programmer %3
    ---------------
    Show Paper Tape
    ---------------
    PRN
    ---------------
    Precision [>]

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG, Jul 18, 2009
  8. qquito

    Philo D Guest

    In article
    <>,
    qquito <> wrote:

    > On Jul 18, 1:27 am, TaliesinSoft <> wrote:
    > > The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
    > > and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not to
    > > us
    > > reverse Polish  notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
    > > active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.
    > >
    > > --
    > > James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....

    > Thank you for the reply!
    >
    > This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
    > mentioned. Could you tell where it is?
    >
    > --Roland

    When Calculator is the front-most application running, then its menus
    are at the top of the screen. One of them is called "View".
    [Calculator.app version 4.2]

    Philo D, Jul 18, 2009
  9. qquito

    Philo D Guest

    In article <>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > qquito <> wrote:
    >
    > > So I am wondering if there is any free advanced scientific calculator
    > > to be used on a Mac OS X machine.

    > Yes, the Calculator application (not the widget) that comes with OS X.

    Now we understand the confusion. So... the OP wants a widget not an
    app.

    Philo D, Jul 18, 2009
  10. qquito

    AES Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dockyard <> wrote:

    > Roland Go to finder >applications>calculator>view then select

    On my MacBook running OS 10.4.11, this hp-like calculator is indeed in
    the Applications folder (thanks to you, I just learned this!), and it's
    indeed great.

    But the widget calculator that shows up when I hit F12 (along with a few
    other widgets, on top of an otherwise darkened screen) is just a
    primitive "four function" calculator.

    Is there any way (in 10.4) to add the fancy hp-like calculator to the
    F12/widget repertoire?

    AES, Jul 18, 2009
  11. qquito

    Dave Seaman Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 05:39:01 -0700, AES wrote:
    > In article
    ><>,
    > dockyard <> wrote:

    >> Roland Go to finder >applications>calculator>view then select

    > On my MacBook running OS 10.4.11, this hp-like calculator is indeed in
    > the Applications folder (thanks to you, I just learned this!), and it's
    > indeed great.

    > But the widget calculator that shows up when I hit F12 (along with a few
    > other widgets, on top of an otherwise darkened screen) is just a
    > primitive "four function" calculator.

    > Is there any way (in 10.4) to add the fancy hp-like calculator to the
    > F12/widget repertoire?

    The original request was for a scientific calculator, "widget or
    otherwise".

    The Calculator.app that is in /Applications is indeed an "otherwise". It
    is not a widget.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Third Circuit ignores precedent in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

    Dave Seaman, Jul 18, 2009
  12. qquito

    Dave Seaman Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:10:57 -0400, Philo D wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> qquito <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > So I am wondering if there is any free advanced scientific calculator
    >> > to be used on a Mac OS X machine.

    >> Yes, the Calculator application (not the widget) that comes with OS X.

    > Now we understand the confusion. So... the OP wants a widget not an
    > app.

    The OP asked for a "widget or otherwise".

    Dave Seaman, Jul 18, 2009
  13. qquito

    Philo D Guest

    In article <>, AES
    <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dockyard <> wrote:
    >

    > > Roland Go to finder >applications>calculator>view then select

    > On my MacBook running OS 10.4.11, this hp-like calculator is indeed in
    > the Applications folder (thanks to you, I just learned this!), and it's
    > indeed great.
    >
    > But the widget calculator that shows up when I hit F12 (along with a few
    > other widgets, on top of an otherwise darkened screen) is just a
    > primitive "four function" calculator.
    >
    > Is there any way (in 10.4) to add the fancy hp-like calculator to the
    > F12/widget repertoire?

    Apple lists widgets here
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/
    these can be added to the "Dashboard" (what you see with F12, others
    see it in other ways). Search there for what you want.
    I haven't used these, but try out:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/pemdas.html
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/abasicscienti
    ficcalculator.html
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/advancedscien
    tificcalculator.html

    The first two are free, the last says "demo"

    Philo D, Jul 18, 2009
  14. qquito

    qquito Guest

    Thank you all for your replies! I finally located the "scientific
    calculator" in the "Applications".

    I first erroneously looked at the "widget" calculator for the "View"
    menu.

    Either "widget" or "application" works for me---as long as it has
    those basic functions used in science.

    Thanks again!

    --Roland

    qquito, Jul 18, 2009
  15. qquito

    qquito Guest

    On Jul 18, 12:40 pm, Philo D <> wrote:
    > In article <>, AES
    > I haven't used these, but try out:http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/pemdas.html http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/abasicscienti
    > ficcalculator.html http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/advancedscien
    > tificcalculator.html
    >
    > The first two are free, the last says "demo"

    Thank you for the information!

    The 1st one, the PEMDAS, is a nice one---though the way it works is
    different from the majority of calculators. The entire expression your
    type in, including "sin", "LN", etc., shows up, and the final results
    shows up when you hit the "=" key or the "Enter" key on your keyboard.

    The 2nd one is free but does NOT include the trigonometric and
    logarithmic functions. When you hit "Scientific Mode", it leads to a
    more advanced version for which you need to pay $15. And this version
    is in the 3rd link.

    --Roland

    qquito, Jul 18, 2009
  16. In article <180720090804250124%>,
    Philo D <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > qquito <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 18, 1:27 am, TaliesinSoft <> wrote:
    > > > The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic,
    > > > scientific,
    > > > and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not
    > > > us
    > > > reverse Polish  notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator
    > > > is
    > > > active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....

    > > Thank you for the reply!
    > >
    > > This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
    > > mentioned. Could you tell where it is?
    > >
    > > --Roland
    > >

    > When Calculator is the front-most application running, then its menus
    > are at the top of the screen. One of them is called "View".
    > [Calculator.app version 4.2]

    I've used pCalc for years. I got it free many years ago when I bought a
    Mac clone. I upgraded to the MacOS X version which has a widget and
    application version. It has full RPN and algebraic modes, multi-base
    mode for octal, hex, and decimal output, and the application will even
    run a "tape" to print out. Not bad for $19.

    You want free? Stick with what's been mentioned already.

    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

    Michael Vilain, Jul 18, 2009
  17. On Jul 18, 1:40 pm, qquito <> wrote:
    > Thank you all for your replies! I finally located the "scientific
    > calculator" in the "Applications".
    >
    > I first erroneously looked at the "widget" calculator for the "View"
    > menu.
    >
    > Either "widget" or "application" works for me---as long as it has
    > those basic functions used in science.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > --Roland

    For what it is worth, I have 2 rpn calculators on my computers that I
    have been using as widgets for years, at least since 10.4.6 when I got
    my MacBook Pro. They are called RPN calc and rpncalc. I am not sure if
    they are still available, since I have been using them for a long
    time. At least the latter one has trig functions.
    HTH

    Dave Fritzinger, Jul 18, 2009
  18. In article <C687A3D8.40AB0%nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com>, Nick Naym <nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com> writes:
    >In article , <VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG>
    >at wrote on 7/18/09 7:44 AM:

    >> When the Calculator app is active, the View menu appears in the
    >> menu bar: Calculator File Edit View Convert Speech Window Help
    >> Selection under View:
    >>
    >> Basic %1
    >> Scientific %2
    >> Programmer %3
    >> ---------------
    >> Show Paper Tape
    >> ---------------
    >> PRN
    >> ---------------
    >> Precision [>]

    >Obvious typo: "PRN" should be "RPN" (for "Reverse Polish Notation").

    That's RPN in RPN! :)

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG, Jul 18, 2009
  19. qquito

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Nick Naym wrote:
    > Obvious typo: "PRN" should be "RPN" (for "Reverse Polish Notation").

    Take as needed.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Review of the article The Overwhelmed Generation in FL Annals
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1313

    Wes Groleau, Jul 20, 2009
  20. qquito

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article
    <>,
    qquito <> wrote:

    > Dear Everyone:
    >
    > Is there a great and FREE scientific calculator, widget or otherwise,
    > for the Mac OS X (Version 10.5.4) machine?
    >
    > My machine does have a calculator widget, but it is a basic one and
    > does not even have sine, cosine and logarithic functions.
    >
    > I sometimes use "bc", the arbitrary precision calculator language with
    > the option "-l", in the X-window, which is only good when you don't
    > need to deal with trigonometric functions.
    >
    > So I am wondering if there is any free advanced scientific calculator
    > to be used on a Mac OS X machine.
    >
    > Thank you for reading and replying!

    While Apple's Calculator is a perfectly good calculator, take a look at
    KoalaCalc <http://www.macropodsoftware.com/koalacalc/index.html>. If
    you're going to consider an app, it has significantly more whistles and
    beels which I find very useful.

    Fred Moore, Jul 20, 2009