A Retraction [Was Re: pleasant Linux for a 503+?]

Discussion in 'FIC' started by no-spam, Nov 19, 2007.

  1. no-spam

    no-spam Guest

    In Message-ID: <46dcd43f$0$27166$>, I said

    "I have a VA-503+ on which I have run a bunch of Linux distributions,
    beginning with Slackware: RedHat, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, etc. After a
    succession of recent disasters involving Linux 2.6-based Debian
    distributions (namely, Debian etch and Ubuntu current) -- both of which
    repeatedly self-destructed -- due, I suspect, to a bug in the
    Debian/Ubuntu NE2000 ISA NIC driver module ('ne') -- I decided to switch
    back to Linux 2.4-based Slackware 11.0"

    I have since discovered that the problem was not the NE2000 ISA NIC
    driver, which seems to work perfectly, but with the Samsung SCR-830
    cdrom drive that I was using at the time -- or with the Debian driver
    for that particular device {see Message-ID:
    <472a286d$0$79872$> for details).

    And whereas I then went on to say

    "Home, sweet home!

    "I doubt I will be running any more Linux 2.6-based distros on this
    board any time soon."

    I now wish to retract that statement.

    As long as the Samsung SCR-830 is not connected, the Linux 2.6-based
    Debian etch distribution works perfectly on my VA-503+ (and is IMHO
    vastly superior in every way to Linux 2.4-based Slackware 11.0).

    <B
    no-spam, Nov 19, 2007