    start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I highlight
    the menu.
    So I suspected the graphic card.

    Jens Mander, Nov 26, 2006

  2. Jens Mander

    BC Guest

    Jens Mander wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450 graphic
    > card?

    It appears so....

    > The graphic speed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100% if I
    > start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I highlight
    > the menu.

    > So I suspected the graphic card.

    Dear Jens,

    from:

    http://www.rme-audio.de/techinfo/rme_amd.htm

    One user reports compatibility issues with Matrox G450 card and the
    nForce 415 chipset (Asus A7N266-C; pops and clicks at lower latencies).
    Editor’s note: Matrox technicians confirm that they do not presently
    test their graphic adapters with the nForce chipset

    http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum9/HTML/008781.html

    You can search the forums from here:

    http://forum.matrox.com/mga/

    On the Asus A7N266-E the user needs to install BIOS v. 1001s or later
    and manually set the FSB and memory speed jumpers to 133 to make the AGP
    Bus run at nominal speed

    Some specific suggestions:

    http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c4b2680fba1c9537cdca8edc1296e771&threadid=15297

    On-board audio shares interrupt with PCI slot 5 and USB (Asus A7N266-C).

    http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?no=A1AA476E-9055-60F4-52AD-CD44170557A0&SLanguage=en-us

    Question: Why does my system slows down greatly when I plugged Matrox
    G450 on A7N266 series motherboards?

    Answer
    After confirming with nVIdia, it was determined that this is the Matrox
    driver issue. The Matrox driver will disable Vgartd.vxd access (AGP
    function) whenever Nvidia chipset has been detected. This will cause no
    texture memory to be usable, and the 3D performance will be heavily
    impacted. Please contact VGA manufacturer for detail information.

    BIOS updated?

    - Fix S3 resume issue with HDD in slave.
    - Support 48-Bit Mode HDD.
    - Support "Previous State" for AC Power Loss restart.
    - Fix 3Dlabs AGP card display error.
    - Patch G450 AGP card delay too long.
    - Patch PS/2 mouse will be crazy after S1 resume in Windows

    Download:
    # A7N266 BIOS 1003
    # A7N266-E BIOS 1003
    # A7N266-C BIOS 1003

    http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopic.php?t=1623

    Millenium G450 on Asus A7N266

    This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This
    topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Matrox
    Technical Support Forums Forum Index -> Bug Report
    View previous topic :: View next topic
    Author Message
    RickMay

    Joined: 02 Jul 2003

    PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:51 pm Post subject: Millenium G450 on
    Asus A7N266 Reply with quote
    According to the ASUS website:
    Problem: Why does my system slows down greatly when I plugged Matrox
    G450 on A7N266 series motherboards?

    Answer

    After confirming with nVIdia, it was determined that this is the Matrox
    driver issue. The Matrox driver will disable Vgartd.vxd access (AGP
    function) whenever Nvidia chipset has been detected. This will cause no
    texture memory to be usable, and the 3D performance will be heavily
    impacted. Please contact VGA manufacturer for detail information.

    I have a G400 that does the same thing so I assume that it is the same
    problem.

    Is there a fix for this?
    Back to top
    Leo
    Matrox

    Joined: 25 Feb 2000
    Location: Canada

    PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    Hi,

    I will look in to this and get back to you as soon as possible.

    Regards,

    ------------------
    Leonardo
    Matrox Graphics
    Technical Support Supervisor
    Back to top
    RickMay

    Joined: 02 Jul 2003

    PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    Leo:

    Are you still looking into this problem?
    Back to top
    Leo
    Matrox

    Joined: 25 Feb 2000
    Location: Canada

    PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote
    Hi,

    Support was dropped for this motherboard due to chipset forcing maximum
    retries with bus mastering.

    This causes the system to crawl!

    The same problem can be found with ATI products in this system.

    ------------------
    Leonardo
    Matrox Graphics
    Technical Support Supervisor
    Back to top
    Nick Boulter

    Joined: 11 Dec 2003
    Location: UK

    PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    I presume this would also account for my being unable to get a w2k
    system to recognise G400 AGP4+ in A7N266-E. Hardware is recognised after
    driver install, but no system resources are used (irq etc) and Matrox
    install program says no Matrox card found.
    It does not seem possible to make settings correspond to Matrox
    recommendations (PNP not settable, USB not settable, AGP 512k ok, ) and
    cannot disable onboard VGA from NVIDIA even when setting Display to AGP
    mode instead of on board in BIOS.

    Crying or Very sad :cry:
    Back to top
    Leo
    Matrox

    Joined: 25 Feb 2000
    Location: Canada

    PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote
    This sound likes a different problem all together!

    Did you try installing the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

    As long as the on-board display adapter is enabled you will have a hard
    time installing the drivers.
    _________________
    Best Regards,

    Leonardo
    Matrox Graphics
    Technical Support Supervisor
    Back to top
    Nick Boulter

    Joined: 11 Dec 2003
    Location: UK

    PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    Thanks for your speedy response!

    I have already upgraded motherboard BIOS to v1004, the latest on the
    ASUS website.
    it seems almost identical to the v1001 that preceeded it in my machine.
    The 'onboard VGA' or 'AGP VGA' seem to have no effect whatsoever !

    I read the thread here to indicate that if the Matrox drivers/install
    detected an NVIDIA video chipset, there were problems, but I cannot get
    the matrox card recognised at all. It works just fine in a system that
    has no onboard video, but that m/c is far too slow now.

    I have tried removing all trace of all video drivers, using your utilities.
    the m/c has two Maxtor HDD, one CD reader, Netgear 311/312 network card
    as well as that onboard, no sound at all.

    Any further suggestions?

    Many thanks

    Nick
    Back to top
    Leo
    Matrox

    Joined: 25 Feb 2000
    Location: Canada

    PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    Is the G450 listed in the device manager?

    When the system boots is the Image being displayed on the onboard or the
    G450?

    If the G450 is not the primary this play adapter you will have to
    install the driver through the INF.
    _________________
    Best Regards,

    Leonardo
    Matrox Graphics
    Technical Support Supervisor
    Back to top
    Nick Boulter

    Joined: 11 Dec 2003
    Location: UK

    PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    The G400 Max Dual Head is listed in Device Manager only after running
    the Matrox setup program (although at the second stage of the program,
    after selecting 'English', the program does not find a board and will
    not progress)- it is not detected by W2k at any stage. Presumably this
    is why it appears in device manager (it has the drivers) but does not
    show any resources.

    There is no image, ever, on the Matrox board from either output.

    I have tried installing the driver by adding it through the .inf, but
    still it is not given any resources, and no output.
    Back to top
    Leo
    Matrox

    Joined: 25 Feb 2000
    Location: Canada

    PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    If you can’t disable the on-board card which card is the primary display
    adapter?

    Does it make any difference if you change the BIOS setting Primary VGA BIOS?

    If the OS doesn’t detect a new hardware when the G400 is in the system
    then the drivers will never install, and you’re problem is low level (bios)
    _________________
    Best Regards,

    Leonardo
    Matrox Graphics
    Technical Support Supervisor

    I notice this recent thread concerning another older Athlon board:

    http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopic.php?t=22628

    Did you contact Matrox support?

    Also, is this a fresh install of Win2K, or was card added in?

    Chipset drivers loaded, updated BIOS, no IRQ conflicts, G450 enabled in
    device manager, etc?

    Looks like Matrox tech support is pretty good...

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Jens Mander

    BC Guest

    Jens Mander wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450 graphic
    > card?
    >
    > The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100% if I
    > start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I highlight
    > the menu.
    > So I suspected the graphic card.

    Dear Jens,

    which driver did you download? There is a version that requires ".net",
    which I refer to as dot nyet, and an "SE" version that does not:

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/technology/display_drivers.php#SE

    Drivers page: lots of differnt versions:

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/drivers/home.php

    Good luck,

    BC

    BC, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Jens Mander wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450
    > graphic card?
    >
    > The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is
    > 100% if I start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering
    > when I highlight the menu.
    > So I suspected the graphic card.

    I think not. I came down to 10-25% usage, with one Window visible, drag
    and moving. G450 and XP.
    100% must not be the Graphic Usage, while archiving it shows also 100%.

    Keep care about the installation and dual-monitor drive settings. Start
    Windows with protected mode and delete all unneeded entries (VGA Card
    and Monitor/s) in the device manager. Start the installation again...

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: Matrox Hotline, tech Support....

    Daniel Mandic, Nov 27, 2006
  5. Jens Mander

    Jens Mander Guest

    "BC" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Jens Mander wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450

    graphic
    > > card?
    > >
    > > The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100%

    if I
    > > start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I

    highlight
    > > the menu.
    > > So I suspected the graphic card.

    > Dear Jens,
    >
    > which driver did you download? There is a version that requires ".net",
    > which I refer to as dot nyet, and an "SE" version that does not:

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/technology/display_drivers.php#SE

    > Drivers page: lots of differnt versions:
    >
    > http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/drivers/home.php
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > BC

    I downloaded the 5.96.004 May 08, 2006 Driver.

    Jens Mander, Nov 28, 2006
  6. Jens Mander

    BC Guest

    Jens Mander wrote:
    > "BC" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Jens Mander wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450

    > graphic
    >>> card?
    >>>
    >>> The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100%

    > if I
    >>> start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I

    > highlight
    >>> the menu.
    >>> So I suspected the graphic card.

    >> Dear Jens,
    >>
    >> which driver did you download? There is a version that requires ".net",
    >> which I refer to as dot nyet, and an "SE" version that does not:
    >>

    > http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/technology/display_drivers.php#SE
    >> Drivers page: lots of differnt versions:
    >>
    >> http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/drivers/home.php
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >>
    >> BC

    > I downloaded the 5.96.004 May 08, 2006 Driver.

    Recommend you try:

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/drivers/driverInfo.php?id=90

    5.96.004 SE
    June 29, 2006

    The SE version: no ".net" "dot net" required.

    From the download site:

    "Please uninstall your current drivers using Microsoft Add/Remove
    Programs before installing the new drivers. If your Matrox drivers do
    not appear in Add/Remove Programs, please use our uninstaller utility."

    I notice that the May 8 version is not WHQL, and works with Windows 2003
    server too--I think that there is driver code added in that can't be all
    that helpful to a Win2K system.

    HTH

    BC

    BC, Nov 29, 2006
  7. Jens Mander wrote:

    > I downloaded the 5.96.004 May 08, 2006 Driver.

    Try 5.93.009. Have worked splendid for me.

    P2B-F, iP3, G450 (sold to a good friend, working good in a KT400 and
    Athlon XP2600 166FSB now)

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Nov 30, 2006