A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drives, PC freezes/unfreezes constantly.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by YouKnow, May 7, 2006.

  1. YouKnow

    YouKnow Guest

    A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drive, PC freezes
    for 10-20 seconds then ok?

    I found basically the exact same problem on a web site, getting the
    exact same error message in event viewer. Another site mentions
    similar problems, but none so far have a concrete solution. Any ideas?

    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24920-pg1.html

    For me it's an Asus A7N8X deluxe board, 1 GB Kingston 3200 DDR. 400
    Watt Antec Power supply. I'm going to try disconnecting a few things
    just in case the PSU is going bad or something, but it is pretty new,
    and like I said I haven't changed anything in a while (at least a good
    year) My drives that seem to be going off and On are 2 Raptors 36 GB
    connected to the onboard Raid SIL3112r. It seems, that when/if I try
    to access this array that the click on/off/freezes occur. In fact now
    Diskeeper 10 can't even defrag it.

    The portion below (taken from the above URL) basically is exactly
    what problem I'm having. I have not added any new hardware, or changed
    anything in quite some time (at least a year), and this has otherwise
    been a rock-solid system.

    "Also very important details to this problem:
    Motherboard uses nForce2 chipset
    SATA Raid adapter is SIL3112r (though on POST screens is says 3112A)

    THE PROBLEM:
    This problem shows itself by freeze behavior and error log entries.

    The freezing is just that, it will seem fine, then boom, it freezes
    solid and you can't do

    jack for a good 40 seconds. Then it unfreezes and comes to life and
    acts like nothing ever

    happened. This appears to be the only problem I know about. That is,
    maybe it causes other

    problems too? But the freezing is the main end result. And this
    freezes all activity, not just

    HDD operations. In other words, if I have an MP3 playing, it freezes
    silent too. Then starts

    playing again where it left off when it comes back.

    Also, during the "freeze", keyboard strokes and possibly mouse
    movements, are still cached. So

    when it comes back, letters I was typing will appear, and the cursor
    will jump around.

    Lastly, it is extremely random. Sometimes it will freeze many times in
    a hour. Sometimes it

    will run good for days. I could be playing a game, or just reading a
    text file and not doing

    anything HDD intense. Nothing except the freeze period are timely. I
    would venture to say that

    the freeze time is dang near exactly the same each time. But
    absolutely random to get there.

    Promptly after a freeze an error log entry is created:
    Type: ERROR
    Source: si3112r
    ID: 9
    "The device, \Device\scsi\si3112r1, did not respond within the timeout
    period" "

    Thanks for any help!
    "I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
    the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
    don’t check anybody, you don’t ask any questions,
    and let those morons fly on that one".

    -Dennis Miller
    YouKnow, May 7, 2006

  2. YouKnow

    old man Guest

    HD noises often indicate a failing drive, youve tried the manu hd checking
    utility?
    There were acknowledged problems with Sil on this mobo, supposedly cured by
    a bios update.
    I had this mobo, had to dump it in the end, due to constant raid problems.

    old man, May 7, 2006

  3. YouKnow

    Bill Smith Guest

    You may have tried this, but I will suggest it anyway:

    Try switching to another PSU power connector, it may be an
    intermintant power flow problem due to a poor connector.

    Try different SATA cables...

    Is there anything at the WD / Asus / NForce site(s) which may relate
    to a support issue ? It may be worth a search if you haven't tried it.
    Maybe a specific issue with those drives and that chipset...

    Bill Smith, May 7, 2006
  4. YouKnow

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, YouKnow
    <> wrote:

    > A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drive, PC freezes
    > for 10-20 seconds then ok?
    >
    > I found basically the exact same problem on a web site, getting the
    > exact same error message in event viewer. Another site mentions
    > similar problems, but none so far have a concrete solution. Any ideas?
    >
    > http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24920-pg1.html
    >
    > For me it's an Asus A7N8X deluxe board, 1 GB Kingston 3200 DDR. 400
    > Watt Antec Power supply. I'm going to try disconnecting a few things
    > just in case the PSU is going bad or something, but it is pretty new,
    > and like I said I haven't changed anything in a while (at least a good
    > year) My drives that seem to be going off and On are 2 Raptors 36 GB
    > connected to the onboard Raid SIL3112r. It seems, that when/if I try
    > to access this array that the click on/off/freezes occur. In fact now
    > Diskeeper 10 can't even defrag it.

    <<snip>>

    There is a thread here you might want to look at.

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/54-vt5108.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=530

    I'd start by backing up the data on the array, just in case. It could
    be that a drive is about to go bad. (And if a storage device
    shows any signs of flakyness or instability, the last thing you
    want to do is defrag it. That is "rolling the dice" thousands of
    times in a short interval.)

    If WD has a test utility that will work via the SIL3112, I'd
    try evaluating the drives. If the drives have SMART stats, you
    may want to check if a failure is predicted or not.

    Check cabling and power. Pick up some spare SATA cables. Keep track
    of which old cable was used with which drive. Replace one or both cables.
    That board probably has first generation SATA connectors, and it may
    be hard to find a cable that will make a difference with those
    connectors. Some of the current motherboard connectors have room for
    a "hook" on the newer cables, that gives a more positive retention
    of the connector. Placing a new cable on an old connector won't help,
    as there is no place for the hook to grip. But you have to try anyway.

    It sounds like the driver for the array, is trying to access the disks,
    and is not getting a response. The SIL3112 chip could be responsible
    for the freeze. But knowing the reliability of disk drive technology,
    it could very well be a drive is going bad, and the chip is just fine.
    As long as your BIOS is recent enough, that is about the best you
    can do for the SIL3112.

    The fact that keyboard, mouse activity is queued, means the system
    is still responsive to interrupts and really isn't frozen. Your
    problem is down in the storage subsystem, somewhere...

    Paul
    Paul, May 7, 2006
  5. YouKnow

    YouKnow Guest

    Re: A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drives,<--UPDATE: replaced HD and is ok, but...(inside)

    Ok, so replaced the one Raptor, and all seems just fine now, so
    indeed, as I suspected the harddrive was going bad, powering itself
    off/on constantly.

    However, upon testing the Antec true power 430 (it's about 1 1/2
    years old) with the Antec PSU tester sold at Circuit City, it came up
    as "marginal" (both pass and fail lights came on) So anyone know how
    accurate these testers are? I really wouldn't want a dieing PSU to
    start killing this replacement drive...maybe that was the cause of the
    first one dieing?

    Thanks again for those who replied!

    YouKnow, May 13, 2006
  6. YouKnow

    old man Guest

    Re: A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drives,<--UPDATE: replaced HD and is ok, but...(inside)

    No idea how accurate the tester is, but a failing psu can certainly give
    rise to hd probs.
    I know, my Antec did

    old man, May 13, 2006
  7. YouKnow

    Rob Guest

    YouKnow wrote:

    >Ok, so replaced the one Raptor, and all seems just fine now, so
    >indeed, as I suspected the harddrive was going bad, powering itself
    >off/on constantly.
    >
    > However, upon testing the Antec true power 430 (it's about 1 1/2
    >years old) with the Antec PSU tester sold at Circuit City, it came up
    >as "marginal" (both pass and fail lights came on) So anyone know how
    >accurate these testers are? I really wouldn't want a dieing PSU to
    >start killing this replacement drive...maybe that was the cause of the
    >first one dieing?
    >
    >Thanks again for those who replied!
    >"I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
    >the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
    >don’t check anybody, you don’t ask any questions,
    > and let those morons fly on that one".
    >
    >-Dennis Miller

    WD drives like to use +5vdc a good bit. I've got an Antec TP430 also,
    bout as old as yours and the +5 has been decaying lately. Maybe they had
    some weak components around that time frame. They have a 3 year warranty
    on them, so I guess I'll put my standby in, when I send it for repair.
    Suggest you do that too. A spare PSU is always good to have.
    Rob
    Rob, May 13, 2006
  8. YouKnow

    Paul Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Ok, so replaced the one Raptor, and all seems just fine now, so
    > indeed, as I suspected the harddrive was going bad, powering itself
    > off/on constantly.
    >
    > However, upon testing the Antec true power 430 (it's about 1 1/2
    > years old) with the Antec PSU tester sold at Circuit City, it came up
    > as "marginal" (both pass and fail lights came on) So anyone know how
    > accurate these testers are? I really wouldn't want a dieing PSU to
    > start killing this replacement drive...maybe that was the cause of the
    > first one dieing?
    >
    > Thanks again for those who replied!

    That motherboard will draw most of its power from the +5V rail.
    Get a cheap multimeter and connect it to a disk drive connector.
    A disk drive connector has +5V, +12V, and two ground signals.
    Set your meter to volts_DC, you can measure and see exactly how
    far off from the ideal values it is.

    The label on the side of the supply will say something like
    5V +/- 5%. That means the voltage can range from 4.75V to
    5.25V. You can use the meter to see if it is still meeting that
    spec. Normally the supply should be doing better than that.

    Paul
    Paul, May 13, 2006