    RAM? Have people seen any problems due to PCI/AGP overclock? Then I guess
    you'd be able to use an FSB 400 CPU properly.

    My board is the newer version with the 333 sticker btw.
    pb, Nov 19, 2003

  2. pb

    Hippy Paul Guest

    It just seems a strange way to go about things - ie buying a £350 processor
    and running it like a £70 one.

    The issue is that the via kt400 chipset does not support 200 fsb. Even
    though the board may have settings for 230fsb it can not do it.

    Due to the pci/agp issue you may if you are extremely lucky get to 185fsb
    though more likely 180mhz or under.

    I do not have ram that can run at 200fsb so I have never tried running ram
    out of synch with the cpu, but it might be possible to run the cpu at 166
    and the ram at 200fsb.

    I would suggest that if you have the sort of cash to buy a 3200+, to buy an
    nforce2 board and hunt about for an unlocked 2500+ (failing which maybe a
    2600+ or 2800+ Barton) and overclocking that - it would work out cheaper and
    be a better performing system than the kt400.

    Even the locked 2500+ Bartons can do 200fsb - so that would still be an
    instant 3200+ - if you had an nforce board (or something) that could do
    200fsb.

    "pb" <> wrote in message
    > Although I know this board doesnt officially support fsb200 processors

    like
    > the XP3200+, is it correct that I could still use one at 166 and then
    > increase the multiplier to compensate (assuming its unlocked)?
    >
    > Also, is running the A7V8X at an fsb of 200 reliable, of course using

    PC3200

    Hippy Paul, Nov 19, 2003