    AFAIK, the BIOS on that machine is the latest: 1013, IIRC.

    Is this the best that can be expected?

    Perce
    Percival P. Cassidy, Sep 13, 2011

  2. In article <j4nkte$nff$>,
    Percival P. Cassidy <> wrote:
    >I just re-purposed an old machine with the Asus A8N-E for use as a DIY
    >Network Attached Storage device. I upped the memory to 4GB of DDR400 ECC
    >RAM (four identical modules), but now POST reports not only that it's
    >running at 333 but also that it's now single-channel rather than
    >dual-channel.
    >
    >AFAIK, the BIOS on that machine is the latest: 1013, IIRC.
    >
    >Is this the best that can be expected?

    See the manual, paragraph 1.7. When conforming to the modules listed
    there, I see no indications the clock-speed or dual-channel mode should
    be disabled.

    However, for this to fully work, the modules should conform to the rules
    laid down there (type of module, single-sides/double-sides, type of DRAM
    chips used, etc).

    Perhaps try different combinations to see where the board switches to
    333MHz and/or single-channel mode. Also examine the modules in more
    detail to see if they are indeed 100% identical.

    Regards,

    Patrick.
    Patrick Vervoorn, Sep 13, 2011